TANZANIA: Tanzanian Plains Game Hunt With Kilombero North Safaris

Great trophies so far, Bruce, keep it up :D Cheers:

I'm really enjoying your safari right now. Please keep the posts coming and congrats on all of the animals harvested.

Day 5
Up early and the same breakfast. Neither cook understood eggs over easy. So scrambled it was for simplicity. We started off looking for an impala again. We saw a couple of herds but nothing we could identify as a definite shooter. So back to the plains with Gazelle on our mind.
This area is interesting. We are essentially between Mt Meru which is just shy of 15,000 ft and Mt Kilimanjaro which is over 19,000 feet. They have a strong effect on weather. As a result this area has some wind most of the time. Also, despite being near the equator the temperatures are quite moderate. Plus I saw no tsetse flies or mosquitos the whole trip.
Today was windy! lulls of 5-8 mph and gusts to 25. A good sustained average is probably 12-15 mph. As we were driving we found a big Grants that seemed to be worth a better look. After a careful scrutiny Zidane felt like he was close to 26 inches and that we should take him. So off we go on a stalk with only a few bumps in the landscape for cover. We'd get close enough and then he'd take off. We did that 3 times. The final time he moved into a valley where there is a police training facility that they shoot with live ammo. They were there training that day too. So left him be.
Not sure if it was the wind or what. Animals pushed out well ahead of us and were just plain spooky. We found another Grants and got the rifle out. Again they spooked far ahead of us. Then we saw Quintin and Mike driving down a road in our general direction. Between the 2 vehicles the animals panicked and took off. I imagine that there was over 1000 animal moving at one time. They were leaving the plains and heading into areas with some trees. Cool to see, but a pain when your trying to stalk an animal.
A bit later we found the Grants that we had tried to set up on after leaving the first one. He was rather distinctive. Lighter color than the others around him. He was keeping company with another ram that was over 24 inches. We got out of the truck and moved to a rock outcropping to try and get a rest. I found a sitting position and got the tripod out. Eventually I got a shot at the ram. I thought I was told 240 yds. It actually was over 400 yds. Between the wind and drop difference it was a clean miss. I had been pretty proud of my shooting up until then. I guess pride cometh before the fall is a great quote to consider.....
The rams took off, but for whatever reason didn't seem nearly as badly spooked as what I would of expected. After a short drive of less than 1/2 mile we saw them walk up a draw. We left the truck at a fast walk and headed up the slope hoping they'd stayed near the top of the draw. As we crested the top of the ridge we saw first one and then the second one. The second being our target animal. I got set up on the sticks. The tracker got his back under my elbow to provide additional support in the wind. 200 yds away. Bang and away he goes down out of sight into the draw. I immediately chamber another round and look for him to potentially come out. Nothing shows. We continue over the top of the ridge and spot his horn sticking up out of the grass! Quite the hunt. Hit was perfect on the shoulder and he went maybe 30 yds and was down.
Back at camp we found that Quintin and Mike had taken its twin. Lengths and bases measurements were identical. Mikes was 1/4 inch wider if I remember correctly. For those that like to know he was 25 3/4 inches. A little bird hunting that night was fun. Found a huge flock of Guinea's. Like well over 500 birds. In RSA I'd been told that Guinea's weren't good to eat. I have had them in Zambia and now in Tanzania and they are fine when prepared properly. Pics to follow.

2A40A164-78CB-4DF1-9D5D-927800EC898E.jpeg
8646471F-72B8-4ED8-8D06-8EE4392552F3.jpeg
1548AF1A-730F-4EFB-B2E7-8EE54204ED17.jpeg

I love the facial coloration on these animals!

@gillettehunter what a great way to start retirement! Spectacular hunt and report so far. I am thinking the Gerenuk is part impala and part waterbuck. I look forward to the rest of your report and also the report from @LivingTheDream.

Congrats on a nice Grant's!!

Congratulations on a superb hunt so far @gillettehunter ! Love your descriptions of the hunt and the pictures! A gerenuk is definitely something I’ll have to keep my eye open for, but what a bushbuck you took! Waidmannsheil!

My wonderful wife rejoined us that evening. Long drive from the Serengeti. She was glad to see a restroom!
Day 6
Back out early looking for a Impala. Elephants along the road. Apparently Amboseli is having a drought and elephants are moving out of there and into our ares. If I understood them correctly Amposeli is perhaps 30 miles away.We drive into the bush to try and find a herd of Impala that we had seen the day before, but hadn't gotten a good look at all of the rams in it. Coming across the elephants we were mock charged by 2 young bulls. Was glad we were in the truck. We watched a fellow on a motorcycle get chased bu another elephant.......
Zedane thought that they were aggressive as the result of being pushed out of the farmers fields and harassed the nigh before. Had not seen any sign of elephant on this concession before. Now the big guns go with us on every stalk.
We make a big loop up into country that we haven't yet been to looking for that monster Impala. No luck. We do see eland. WB, Zebra, Gazelle, monkeys and baboons. Plus we found a cow waterbuck that was lost. Only one we saw on the trip....
on our way back to lunch we took the "back way" to camp. Zidane says that he occasionally sees some Tommys there. If we do they tend to be big old solitary rams. We see one with a group of Roberts that deserves a second look. After a closer look and discussion with Peter Zidane says grab the rifle and lets go.
Maryann joins us on the stalk as we work our way into the bush. We go a few hundred yards and bump the group without a shot. Zidane tells me this appears to be the largest Tommy we have seen so far. We walk back to the truck and start driving around to see if we can find him again. As we're about to give up we jump him again and the stalk is on. We manage to get to about 150 yds and I'm on my tripod. I've practiced dry firing at home on moving animals so I feel like this is doable. I fire just as he is leaving my line of sight. I hear the whop of a hit and Zidane tells me I've blown his jaw off! I am disgusted with myself as we hurry to get another shot into him. Zidane keeps saying we'll get him. Don't worry. I have a quick shot off the tripod at 250 yds. I rush the shot and away he goes. We hop on the truck and give chase stopping to shoot a shot when we can. Takes me a total of 6 rounds......... Final shot was from close to 250 yds and he was walking away. Not a proud moment. He was a grand old warrior that deserved better at my hands, I vow to better on anything else I shoot at. For those that care he was 15 inches long. Very nice Tommy. Back to camp for a late lunch.

That afternoon we headed out once again for Impala. The big one had become an obsession. We encountered some more elephants on our way out once again. These seemed calm and seemed to avoid us. As we were driving around we saw a small herd of buffalo. They quickly disappeared. We drove around some thickets and found a second group. We got a good look at this group. 1 young bull, 2 cows and a calf. Zidane turns to me and asks any interest in a buffalo at trophy fee only? Holy cow, yes! What an offer. So we start looking for buffalo in earnest. We look for the first group as we never had a look at them.
These buffalo are apparently migrating in. Not an animal usually hunted on this property. We went to lookout hill late to see if anything would come out. Nothing.
That night we ask about the leopard bait. Nothing happening on that front. Dinner was good as usual. I should talk about meals. Breakfast I have covered pretty well. Some lunches were in the bush. Both trucks had powered coolers that kept drinks and food cold. Leftovers and sandwiches were common in the bush. In camp it was nice meals. The evening meals were really nice. Usually an appetizer brought to wherever you were chatting. Meat kabobs or toasted cashews. When you sit down there is always soup with bread. Maryann requested the recipe for their carrot soup. Then a salad was put on the table. Then 2-3 main dishes. Usually one of them featured game meat. Often in a sauce. Usually quite tender. Then a dessert was served. If you didn’t get full it was your own fault. So ended day 6.

Day 7
We were up earlier than normal. 4:30 am. Mike says good things happen when you get up at 4:30. Zidane wanted to be on lookout hill before daylight. This hill was on the other side of a small seasonal stream. It was about half way between a photography camp and some private farms with the small stream connecting those 2. There was a lot of heavy bush especially towards the farmland. The Impala were especially thick towards the photo camp.
We bumped a mom and calf elephant trying to get to the hill. They were between the hill and the photo camp. Made us a little wary of the bush. This section of bush was thick. Very thick. Think 5 yards visibility in places thick.
We spent the first hour of daylight glassing this section of bush. We saw WB and a Bushbuck. Nothing else. We came off the hill and drove to the edge of the fields. The tracker went to chat with the workers. Then Zidane also went. After 15 minutes they returned. The buffalo had been raiding the fields. There had been a herd a few days before. Right now there were 2 bulls.... Dugaboys? Perhaps.
So Zidane decides we should go in and see if we could find them. He has a .470 double and Peter has a .458. Me I get to carry my 7SAUM. For some reason I feel a bit under gunned. We cut in following some trails from buffalo and the Masai cattle. We move slowly and deliberately. Eyes continually scanning. You look at every dark spot with suspicion. You stop and listen to the sounds of the bush and try to be as one with it. As we get to the small stream we find a trail has been hacked out of the bush by the Masai. We use it as we slowly stalk through the gloom. At any moment expecting to find the buffalo.
After we had gone a few hundred yards we had 2 teenage Masai boys catch up to us. They were intrigued with what we were doing in the bush. When Zidane explained they decided to help. Yes they had seen the bulls a couple of times. Yes they’d be glad to show us where they liked to bed. So off we go with 2 more in our group. 30 minutes later Zidane stops for a quick break. Beyond him and Peter I see movement. My brain failed to process what it was and I pointed and asked cow?? No it an elephant stupid!!! Way too close. Like 12 yds. It’s a calf. So where is mommy dearest? Last thing we wanted to do is be between them. We back out of there as quickly and quietly as we can. We locate the mom a few minutes later and give them a wide berth.
Eventually we emerge on the other end with no buffalo sightings. So we head back to the area from the day before where we had seen the 2 small herds. We found lots of tracks. It looked like the 2 groups joined up. We just couldn’t find them. We spent a couple of hours driving around thickets. Twice we got off of the truck and tried to track them. I was told that we were where they had fed the night before. Some sand helps with visible tracks. Unfortunately lots of grass that didn’t hold a track.
Back to camp for lunch. Mike and Quintin had bumped a herd of 7 cow/calf buffalo. Maybe the ones we had been looking for.
Back out at 4. We work the thickets once again. Lots of giraffes, Zebra and Gazelle. No buffalo. Lots of birds as well. It’s always interesting on the high rack of a truck putting through the bush. No road required. Just looking at the beauty all around.
We go back to the bush by lookout hill and look at Impala again. Nothing there worth shooting. Then back to lookout hill. Some elephants come out. Perhaps 5. Lots more in the bush than what we saw and expected to be there. Pretty dangerous poking around in there with the visibility as poor as it was. We then called it a day and headed for camp. Another great day in Africa. Lots of animals seen but not a shot fired and I was completely satisfied.

Really enjoying your report Bruce.

You have some great animals. Congrats!

Looking forward to the rest of your report.

Day 8
I’m realizing that our safari will soon be over. I want to savor every moment. I want to somehow be sure that I remember every minute that we have left. We’re up at 4:30 and out of camp close to 5:30. Back to lookout hill in case a buffalo shows up. Nothing but a couple of Zebra. Zidane has left his phone number with the farmers from the day before as well as the Masai teens that we met in the bush by the stream. So he says let’s range far afield and see if we can find a Impala. They’ll call if the buffalo show.
We’ve seen a lot of Impala. Some have been tame and some have been wild. None have been significantly larger than the one I got in RSA. Nothing even close to the one missed last year. So we keep looking. We’re moving from prime habitat to more marginal habitat. The marginal habitat is further afield and away from human habitation. I love it. The wilder the better for me.
As we get to a saddle between 2 hills there is a small amount of water. It is covered in Crowned gray cranes which apparently are the state bird of Tanzania and the state emblem of Uganda. Here’s a picture from the cell phone.

Excellent! That gerenuk is a whopper, massive. Excellent bushbuck as well. Tanzania is for sure the classic African hunt. Enjoy.
My hunt there is many years in the rear view mirror.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edvbg6

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!