AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia, R.S.A., Alaska, Idaho, Wyoming, Michigan, Missouri, California, Florida
So just curious if anyone has used South Africa's new online Customs Declaration system yet? https://www.sars.gov.za/travellerdeclaration/

It says in their introduction - "The system will continue to be used on a voluntary basis during the pilot phases to leverage on public and private partnership, including post implementation feedback, as part of the change journey."

Would like to hear from anyone that has tried it - especially some of us entering with guns - not only to stay in SA and hunt, but doing the one, or two, night stay and moving on to Zim or Namibia, etc. We all know how travel with firearms can cause the gears of the system to grind a little slower. Just wondering how a whole new system will handle the pioneers of have gun, will travel? We are typically an overlooked segment of the travel industry.

1721787306223.png

I am also curious about this. I'm leaving in a couple of weeks. My travel agent is passing the buck to the outfitter. Does anyone have any recent experience with this?

Thanks for picking up on this thread. I was kind of surprised no one chimed in when I originally posted it, but it is voluntary this year, so I get that most everyone just carried on with their travel as they normally have in the past. I will be interested to see if we hear from anyone that has used it??? And what Jennifer at Travel Express has to say about it?

...traveled to SA in August of this year, with firearms, did not register and had no questions or problems.
Agree with Rem700stw, less is best, especially when it comes to any government.

...traveled to SA in August of this year, with firearms, did not register and had no questions or problems.
Agree with Rem700stw, less is best, especially when it comes to any government.
Yep, I agree with that, but this system is coming down the pike soon, so I am curious if anyone has used it as we AH'ers would - travel into, or through, RSA with firearms? I am sure they have most of the typical tourists travel scenarios figured into their software for this. It is when WE show up with firearms that things can go a little sideways. It would be nice if someone (maybe SCI) was ahead of this and could find out if their system will work smoothly when it comes online fully and we show up with firearms and have to use it.

Flew to SA via United departing from Newark. I arrived in Jo-burg on 26 August around 6:20 pm local time.

I got a notice about the Traveler app on my phone while in the air via text message. After filling out the form in the app, I picked up my bag and went out the "Nothing to Declare" line after passport control. I did not see anyone from the local border patrol at the exit from the luggage area so I kept walking.
No issues.

I used the PHASA service for the rifle permit and picked the gun up at the SAP office off the mail arrival hall as usual.

My 2 cents, I don’t think this should affect anyone traveling into RSA with a firearm since this is a customs declaration form intended to declare items being imported into the country. Your firearms are entering on a temporary basis bias the SAPS 520 and aren’t intended to stay in the country so nothing to declare or duty to be paid

I should have clarified that my travel agent was saying that you are supposed to declare how much cash you are bringing into South Africa on the travel declaration. They also mentioned that it is optional but, then say they had a client that was not allowed to deboard until it was complete.

I am strongly opposed to giving anyone that information.

I should have clarified that my travel agent was saying that you are supposed to declare how much cash you are bringing into South Africa on the travel declaration. They also mentioned that it is optional but, then say they had a client that was not allowed to deboard until it was complete.

I am strongly opposed to giving anyone that information.
It is important to declare all cash if asked to do so. Other wise they can confiscate it.

I used it this year passing through South Africa. My brother hunted in South Africa this year and did not use it. Neither of us took guns.

This was back in May, so don’t recall exactly, but recall being concerned about a notice that popped up when I entered the amount of cash I was carrying. Made me think they might collect some fee for that amount. I lowered the amount until that notice disappeared. It was not a large amount of money, maybe a few thousand. ???

It is important to declare all cash if asked to do so. Other wise they can confiscate it.
Yes, headed to Zim in a few weeks with my daughter and we will both be carrying max amount of cash as you can imagine. Prefer to keep that info private, but as you say, we have to play by their rules. That means reporting it for transit through RSA and on Form 47 going into Zim. I know the PH's there can't deposit it if it is not on a form 47 showing it coming in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
only1mb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.