Highveld Taxidermy experience?

ajamils

AH senior member
Reaction score
Going to my first ever African hunt next month (SA) and looking for some suggestion on Taxidermist. My outfitter recommended Highveld. So I would like to get some opinions from people who have used them and there are any other company that can provide better service/better price? Trophies will need to be shipped back to Texas, USA.

I have not used them, but visited there in June. Its a big operation with tons of animals and a big staff. Here are a couple pictures I took there. No matter what you can dream of, they can do it.
IMG_9355.jpg
IMG_9356.jpg
IMG_9357.jpg
IMG_9358.jpg
IMG_9359.jpg
IMG_9360.jpg
IMG_9362.jpg
IMG_9363.jpg
IMG_9361.jpg

I had my first Buffalo done there. They did a decent job at about half the US price. My US taxidermist does nicer work. But tanning of hides takes forever here now. And is ridiculously expensive. Unfortunately shipping now eats up the price savings.

The taxidermy work there is a 10

10’ away it looks perfect.

Run away as fast as you can. I used them in 2012 and was totally screwed. Received mounts that at best were mediocre at best. Purchased insurance that when it was time to use it, an insurance certificate was never issued, so it was wasted money.

Here is an example of what my impala looks like. The owner's suggestion was for me to ship the impala back, and they would fix it free, and then ship it back all on my dime (all the shipping was going to be on me). Not once did they try to make it right. The owner washed his hands and didn't care. The below picture is my $750 impala. You be the judge.

IMPALA.jpg

Avoid them like the plague!!! I had a skull mount done (kudu) and when I got it back, there were maggots in the horns! The "crate' that the shipped it in were not much better than thick cardboard, and the crate was damaged when I recieved it. there was a fracture on the nose of the kudu skull mount, which I had to have fixed here in the states. My blue wildebeest was obviously done by underlings, and is not what I would consider a "first rate" mount, and my gemsbok has multiple nicks in the hide which werent' there the last time I saw it.
I was EXTREMELY disappointed in what I recieved, esp. for what I payed.

.............and they would have "dip and packed" it, but they wouldn't "guarantee" that it would get to the states without "spoiling".........so in other words, they basically held my trophies hostage.

Poor quality, and poor business..........I would find somewhere else to go, and if I had to go with them. I would just say forget it and bring home pictures to avoid the disappointment.

Thanks for details provided so far. Which taxidermist out of SA would you recommend? Don't need anything fancy just basic mounts.

Thanks for details provided so far. Which taxidermist out of SA would you recommend? Don't need anything fancy just basic mounts.
Ship it all back to Texas and have @gizmo do the taxidermy in Amarillo

Have you looked at bullseye taxidermy in Vaalwater. They have a website and Instagram. I am having them do some work. I haven't seen the finished results yet. But the cape Buffalo and eland I saw at a lodge in 2022 looked really good. They were wall pedis.

Haven't seen his prices but at least here in Houston things have become crazy expensive. Plus if I go that route, wouldn't I have to pay extra for dip and pack?
Yes you will pay for dip and pack.

You will also pay additional shipping costs if you have full mounts shipped from Africa.

If you have the Taxidermy done in the states you will have a lot more control and recourse if something does not work out to your satisfaction.
That does not work so well when the taxidermy is completed overseas….

Top of Texas taxidermy is a sponser here on AH and lots of folks have been sending him their safaris…
I recommend taking a look at their website and talking to Gizmo before making a decision. His price list is in the website also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
longhairdontcare

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe