SOUTH AFRICA: First Trip: The Ins & Outs Getting To & Enjoying Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA

A really well written report. I think you made a good choice choosing eastern cape for a first safari. It gives a good hunting experience compared to some other regions. Tough loss on the kudu though, hopefully they can find the horns in a few days at least.

I think I’ve been hunting the wrong places though if I read your report right. Bushbuck are very shy animals. They don’t occur in herds usually just an animal or two in the open for a very short time before disappearing again.
I believe I was correct but it might have been blesbok. All I know is there were lots of animals. Many of which I still could not tell you what they are with my naked eye from a distance. I will be able to clear it up when I get the video.

Congratulations on a good hunt and thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate how you shared both the highs and lows but certainly didn't let things keep you down.

Congrats for a great hunt and thanks for your report !

Great report Steve! Thanks for posting.

This will be long winded for many but I wan to include as much as I can for other first timers on my experience from making the decision to the leg work getting there and the final result. It was worth the time and money for sure. I hope you enjoy the read.

I often thought of doing a safari as a young hunter here in the Northeast US and even my step-father had talked about doing it at some point. I started researching online and stumbled upon this great resource and quietly browsed for quite some time. In March of 2023 I had decided it was time to seriously look into the affordability of hunting in Africa and where should I even begin as a destination. It became quickly apparent the South Africa would give me the best bang for the buck and I was in a place where I could afford it, however my step-father was getting ready to retire and could not commit to making the trip with me. I was going to be doing this solo.

After deciding on the location it was time to really hone in on an outfitter that would offer what I was looking for. I did not want a "canned" hunt. So I read many many pages of hunt reports. I also browsed several outfitter's websites. During this beginning stage of my investigation many outfitter's websites turned me off due to their lack of information. In today's digital age a website and how it is maintained and updated is crucial. Information needs to be easily found because when spending a fair amount of money a client does not want to waste several hours looking for an answer to a simple question or transparency. I can honestly say there are probably several outfitter's who did not get a fair chance at my business just based off their website alone.

After doing this research I had it down to 3 possible outfitters. I continued to comb through their websites along with specific searches for reviews and hunt reports. This is where it got tougher for me. Several outfitter's offered packaged hunts and they also offered to custom tailor a package. This is a whole different rabbit hole to go down, however it really depends on budget and personal choice when it comes to the animals you intend to target. I found that there were now two outfitter's left on my list due to those personal choices. I knew for sure I wanted a Zebra and Kudu which you can find at most outfitter's so now the competition for my business is on and who would win would quickly be sorted out. I kept finding myself lured to a specific outfitter's website as I had many questions developing during the course of menu selection for the vast information on the animals. It not only helped me figure out my list but they even gave me a rough idea on what to expect after the hunt for the taxidermy.

So now that I found a website and read several Hunt Reports I was feeling very confident that I would be going to Africa to hunt. Nick Bowker Hunting was the destination I had in mind. I sent an email asking for a special package consisting of Zebra, Kudu, Black Wildebeest, Blue Wildebeest, and Impala. I received a prompt reply given the 6 hour difference in time zones. I brought up the guns I had available since I was wanting to use my own rifle even though camp rifles were included in the price. I decided quickly that my .338 Win Mag was going to be on this trip and dates were set. Now how do I get there?

View attachment 615555
Bruce is fantastic. Great post. Thank you for sharing .

Awesome first hunt. We have a little over a week before we leave on our first trip. Hannah from Gracy is awesome and has been helping us with our trip. Hopefully we will have a great report to share when we get back

Great story and thanks for sharing. Some of the distances shot from the sticks were on the difficult side for sure.

Congratulations on a good hunt and thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate how you shared both the highs and lows but certainly didn't let things keep you down.

Congrats for a great hunt and thanks for your report !

Great report Steve! Thanks for posting.

WOW What an experience! Thanks for sharing.

Bruce is fantastic. Great post. Thank you for sharing .

Awesome first hunt. We have a little over a week before we leave on our first trip. Hannah from Gracy is awesome and has been helping us with our trip. Hopefully we will have a great report to share when we get back

Great story and thanks for sharing. Some of the distances shot from the sticks were on the difficult side for sure.
Thank you for reading it. To make the shots better I just need more practice on the sticks and better reading of the angles on my part, it was definitely doable just a lack of patience and skill at those distances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uieunnsb

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!