Show Us Your Hunting Knife

1723865662301.png

This is what we use on our deer. The curve inside the groove is sharp all the rest is blunt. You literally can’t puncture the innards.
I love everything about that picture. Takes me back to my childhood hunting in Upstate NY with my grandfather. Doing it on the front porch is icing on the cake. LOL.

I've gone back and forth with zipper knives...sometimes I really like them, while other times not so much. Your knife appears to be a top quality piece of kit and I bet it holds an edge for a good long time. I've sold all my zippers to others and I hope they are enjoying them, no plans on another one at this time.

What I have found is that I prefer a fixed blade for nearly all of my hunting knives. The only exception is a Havalon Piranta Forge (orange handle so I don't loose it in the leaves) I keep with me for traveling light when hunting birds.

I also find this thread humorous because I have more hunting knives than I could possibly use on a safari...even if I had to skin the game myself. To top it off...I'm looking at another one. :ROFLMAO: I'll bet I use my hunting knives in the kitchen more often than I do in the field. But no one clicks on pictures of chopped up carrots. :rolleyes:

I love everything about that picture. Takes me back to my childhood hunting in Upstate NY with my grandfather. Doing it on the front porch is icing on the cake. LOL.

I've gone back and forth with zipper knives...sometimes I really like them, while other times not so much. Your knife appears to be a top quality piece of kit and I bet it holds an edge for a good long time. I've sold all my zippers to others and I hope they are enjoying them, no plans on another one at this time.

What I have found is that I prefer a fixed blade for nearly all of my hunting knives. The only exception is a Havalon Piranta Forge (orange handle so I don't loose it in the leaves) I keep with me for traveling light when hunting birds.

I also find this thread humorous because I have more hunting knives than I could possibly use on a safari...even if I had to skin the game myself. To top it off...I'm looking at another one. :ROFLMAO: I'll bet I use my hunting knives in the kitchen more often than I do in the field. But no one clicks on pictures of chopped up carrots. :rolleyes:
Yeah it is a Boker 3 blade, knife blade, saw blade and zipper. I picked it up at Smokey mountain knife works while on vacation in pigeon forge. It quickly became my favorite big game knife.

I'm not too sure about the Outdoor Edge knives. As I understand it, at least in respect of their swing blade zip knives, they appear to be a cheap Chinese knockoff of the original Eka G3 & G4 which are made in Sweden.
@Hunter4752001 - Outdoor Edge does not seem to highlight or mention the steel used in some of their knives. Most knives made with better steels “advertise” the steel used because it is a Selling Point and explains/justifies higher prices. Now, in all fairness, I’m not sure I would know the difference between S30V, S35V etc… based just on using them or even sharpening them?? I have a couple of cheaper knives that I don’t even know what steel was used for the blade but for whatever reason - just seem to sharpen up Great and I get a razor edge on them….I can’t do that with every knife I own so it could be the profile/angle that the blade was ground.
I don’t mind spending time sharpening and honing my knives, I’m “OK” at it but not the best, I have several stones and strops that I use - as well as a few diamond infused stones (I prefer composit man made stones). For Me, sharpening a knife takes time but I enjoy it (it’s relaxing). Most of my knives I can get a very sharp edge on, especially a few Benchmade S30v, but I have a couple that Nothing I do works — one is a cheaper Buck 4” straight blade, never can get that razor sharp like I can the Buck 112s or 110s….I’m tempted to take a Belt Sander to it!!

The belt sander and grinding wheel are both enemy's of knife life.if you need to rest blade angle use a coarser stone.

The belt sander and grinding wheel are both enemy's of knife life.if you need to rest blade angle use a coarser stone.
@MS 9x56 - yes, sure - courser stone? I’ve done that - it’s still a lot of time (for me) and results vary —— a “great” Knife sharpener would get a dull knife RE PROFILED in 20-30 minutes and have a razor edge on it 10 minutes after that….I am Not a “great” knife sharpener !!

Sharpening by hand is not fast for sure. My Dad taught me how and within a year he was having me sharpen his knives. You know that guy in every hunting camp that everyone asks to sharpen their knives? Yeah in my camp I am that guy. I tried to teach my son but he has yet to get the hang of it. I have several knives I have owned for over 50 years that the blades look almost new. When I finish a sharpening job my final test is shaving hair off my fore arm.

Sharpening by hand is not fast for sure. My Dad taught me how and within a year he was having me sharpen his knives. You know that guy in every hunting camp that everyone asks to sharpen their knives? Yeah in my camp I am that guy. I tried to teach my son but he has yet to get the hang of it. I have several knives I have owned for over 50 years that the blades look almost new. When I finish a sharpening job my final test is shaving hair off my fore arm.
@MS 9x56 - your Dad taught you right, as did my Dad. If you use a stone your blades will last 100 years because very little steel if removed during each sharpening…but it takes more time and some skill to get a fine edge. I’m “OK” at it but there are certainly better.

I like the "zipper" style blades a lot. They are not that common in Australia, but there are enough people that know what they are doing that choose to carry them.

I started making these two knives separately, but then decided to handle them as a pair. Steel on the hunting knife is 3.8mm Elmax, and the zipper blade is 3 mm SF100. The hunting knife has a tapered tang and a full flat grind. The zipper is a weird steep grind using a very small contact wheel. Both have blaze orange G10 handles, with fluro green G10 liners and pins. I forgot to etch my makers mark on the zipper blade, but I can still go back and do that. Sorry the photos are not great - the lighting was a bit inconsistent the morning I took these.

IMG-4294.jpg
IMG-4297.jpg
IMG-4304-1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-4309.jpg
    IMG-4309.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Went to my local A/N store for some new fleece watch caps...walked out with these.

1726177317912.png

Benchmade Anonimus for me and a Benchmade Osborne Automatic for Mrs BeeMaa. Tomorrow is her birthday and I thought I'd surprise her with a new shank.

Quick note - If you don't hear from me for a while...might want to send a search party. She won't be too pissed about the knives, but when she finds out I ordered a custom Kydex sheath for mine...it could put her over the edge. :oops:

In my defense, the BM Kydex sheath is crap. They make good knives but need to step up their game on the sheath. More pics when the new sheath arrives.

(y) Went to my local A/N store for some new fleece watch caps...walked out with these.

View attachment 633494

Benchmade Anonimus for me and a Benchmade Osborne Automatic for Mrs BeeMaa. Tomorrow is her birthday and I thought I'd surprise her with a new shank.

Quick note - If you don't hear from me for a while...might want to send a search party. She won't be too pissed about the knives, but when she finds out I ordered a custom Kydex sheath for mine...it could put her over the edge. :oops:

In my defense, the BM Kydex sheath is crap. They make good knives but need to step up their game on the sheath. More pics when the new sheath arrives.
Very nice (y)

Where did you order the custom sheath from?

@Wishfulthinker580 - I'm really looking for a fold-over design with rivets on just one side instead of a pancake that has rivets all the way around. This makes the sheath smaller, lighter and with the rivets on one side it has a smaller footprint. Plus the holes are spaced at 1/2" intervals, which means carry options abound. All I'd need to do is order a clip from Discreet Carry Concepts for pocket or IWB. Even the MKC Utiliclip would be an option for deep pocket carry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FaustinoTe

Latest profile posts

Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles
Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer