Show Us Your Hunting Knife

Well, now the truth is out I have a few knives.
If you count the professional commercial kitchen knives I have bought for my wife and some different butchering and skinning knives from commercial makers, 2 Von Gruffs and an R@N blades plus a lightweight skinner from another kiwi maker, yeah, probably adds up.
Pics or it doesn’t count. ;)

Nuthin' to write home about, very modest, but it holds an edge and the scales are removable (to get the goo out from under). I like the strike edge at the rear, have used it! Also like the radius on the spine and full tang. Very comfy. The symmetry of the grinds are perfect, edge to shave with. Sleipner steel, which I'm told will rust away before my eyes.... has no dark spots on it yet, after 2 years. I do clean it, don't oil it except when really cleaning it well and putting it away till next time.

Lionsteel B41

ezgif-6-6a47cdb039.jpg

That's just a stock image. Mine has dull sort of dusky olive micarta scales.

Nuthin' to write home about, very modest, but it holds an edge and the scales are removable (to get the goo out from under). I like the strike edge at the rear, have used it! Also like the radius on the spine and full tang. Very comfy. The symmetry of the grinds are perfect, edge to shave with. Sleipner steel, which I'm told will rust away before my eyes.... has no dark spots on it yet, after 2 years. I do clean it, don't oil it except when really cleaning it well and putting it away till next time.

Lionsteel B41

View attachment 615695

That's just a stock image. Mine has dull sort of dusky olive micarta scales.
C'mon @Swamptrudger, you can do better. Post a pic of your actual knife.

The guys at Trophaendienste Taxidermy arranged to have a couple of knives made using our warthog tusks. Admittedly, it's been living on a shelf, but I think it's about time to break them in.

knife-warthog.jpg
knife-warthog2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you insist... just a quick shot on a natty bedspread......
20240623_200415.jpg

The other knife is a Tops Knives Kukuri 7 (their spelling). I have a love hate relationship with it. Its nice for a camp tool, but only to a point. Too heavy. Handle is atrocious - you either choke up and get control, but you hand slides back, or.... you hold it at the rear and lose control. No middle of the road. I keep telling myself that I should modify the scales, make something with a larger, more forward and more pronounced pommel, but.... there's always something else to work on. The blade itself is 1095, shows a bit of staining. Its chopped its share of firewood, split wood with batoning, takes a beatin' but that handle.....

If I go west for elk, I'll not have any of that. These strictly get me by out in the soggy bottom.

Is there any useful purpose, work, etc. from a Karambit?
1719189153713.png

many thanks. They can be found as low as < than $40.

The guys at Trophaendienste Taxidermy arranged to have a couple of knives made using our warthog tusks. Admittedly, it's been living on a shelf, but I think it's about time to break them in.
That knife begs to make meat.

Define useful. For hunting...probably not in most situations.
Better clarification, thank you.
Including a hunting application ..
I often ask to use other's knives, @ work, ie: cutting rope, packaging, around the house, etc.

I was told Cold Steel, Kershaw, Boker, etc. were generally well made. If it's difficult to sharpen, doesn't serve a purpose hunting, or aimed at tactical .. may not be the wisest choice? thank you.

Not that is legal or immediately comes to mind.

The legality of knives is the same as guns, laws are made at the state level with California being the most restrictive...shocker. In some cases, like Los Angels, cities will enact even more strict knife laws on top of those made by the state. It would be wise to check the laws before making a purchase, regardless of where you live.

Most of the time the laws have to do with blade length, folding knife deployment method (gravity, push-button, assisted, balisong...etc) and how the knife is carried (open or concealed).

With the exception of self defense, I can not think of a hunting scenario where the karambit knife (shown by @Daniel Cary) would be useful in the field, however "looking illegal" is not a crime.

The legality of knives is the same as guns, laws are made at the state level with California being the most restrictive...shocker. In some cases, like Los Angels, cities will enact even more strict knife laws on top of those made by the state. It would be wise to check the laws before making a purchase, regardless of where you live.

Most of the time the laws have to do with blade length, folding knife deployment method (gravity, push-button, assisted, balisong...etc) and how the knife is carried (open or concealed).

With the exception of self defense, I can not think of a hunting scenario where the karambit knife (shown by @Daniel Cary) would be useful in the field, however "looking illegal" is not a crime.
Short of Local municipalities, MI's state laws though lenient can be interpreted however they perceive. "Intent" It looked menacing, but if its's not ideal for hunting, you saved me $40. Thank you.

Short of Local municipalities, MI's state laws though lenient can be interpreted however they perceive. "Intent" It looked menacing, but if its's not ideal for hunting, you saved me $40. Thank you.
One of my most used knives is the original Canadian Belt Knife from Grohmann. They go for about $100 - $160 and offer different blade shapes, handle material, blade material and even a flat grind if you choose.

Grohmann Hunting Knives

Other members like @Pheroze and @Bob Nelson 35Whelen are also big fans of this knife design. Here is a picture of mine that still has some yellow paint on the handle...but that's another story. :rolleyes:
1719227038178.png

So why do I bring this up? You mentioned the $40 price point and Cold Steel brand and I used to own a Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife. It was a knife that my wife wanted for when we were deer hunting together. They go for around $20 and what we found is that the blade material wasn't the best and the lack of a full tang made it unbalanced in the hand.

In the end it was easier for her to appropriate my knife and force me to buy something else...funny because that's why I started this thread. LOL.

I just wanted to let you know that there are better designs out there for the budget minded but you will be giving up some desirable features. You will get what you pay for.

One of my most used knives is the original Canadian Belt Knife from Grohmann. They go for about $100 - $160 and offer different blade shapes, handle material, blade material and even a flat grind if you choose.

Grohmann Hunting Knives

Other members like @Pheroze and @Bob Nelson 35Whelen are also big fans of this knife design. Here is a picture of mine that still has some yellow paint on the handle...but that's another story. :rolleyes:
View attachment 615894

So why do I bring this up? You mentioned the $40 price point and Cold Steel brand and I used to own a Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife. It was a knife that my wife wanted for when we were deer hunting together. They go for around $20 and what we found is that the blade material wasn't the best and the lack of a full tang made it unbalanced in the hand.

In the end it was easier for her to appropriate my knife and force me to buy something else...funny because that's why I started this thread. LOL.

I just wanted to let you know that there are better designs out there for the budget minded but you will be giving up some desirable features. You will get what you pay for.

I am a big fan of those. Especially the Bird and Trout.

I am a big fan of those. Especially the Bird and Trout.
I have debated several times on possibly getting a trout and bird knife from them, but my next one might be a MKC…if the missus will indulge me.

Maybe this one…Magnacut Super Cub Drop Point Hunter with black and olive G10 scales.
1719236594076.png

A few weekends back, I exhibited knives at my first knife show (this was held in Melbourne, Australia). I had a very hectic week leading up to the show, trying to finish off knives before the start of the show on Saturday morning.

This knife is a modification of a design I have made before. It takes onboard some suggestions from when I had my knives assessed in April for membership of the Australian Knifemakers Guild. This version has more drop at the point, and also a slight false edge to taper the point to a sharper point to make the initial cuts a little easier.

The blade is 3mm NitroV with a full flat grind. The handle is ivory G10, with red G10 liners, brass Loveless bolts and a brass lanyard tube.

This photo is from my table at the show on Saturday before the doors opened. It was the first knife I sold, so I never got a chance to take better photos.

Drop-point-hunter.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomaineNad

Latest profile posts

SRS 2024 wrote on kesha's profile.
Hi there
Please contact us on sharisaf@yahoo.com

We have buffalo available at very good prices.

Kind regards
SRS
SRS 2024 wrote on crossone's profile.
Hi there

Shangani River Safaris can offer you a Buffalo hunt.

Please email us on sharisaf@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.