Sako 85 - Discontinued?

This was my Sako Bavarian in 270 win
o_1g12kecgqj2lcd51q1b3pn16enu.jpg

I think the Bavarian model is a very good looking rifle!

Sako finally addresses the ejection issues in the Sako 85 which occurred in some rifles with the model 90! And they never admitted they had a problem before!

I think the Bavarian model is a very good looking rifle!
They sure are, for the price they charge they need to upgrade the wood from grade 2 to grade 4.

Their custom shop is way overpriced, better of buying some turkish walnut yourself and getting a Bavarian stock made.

As per quote from another site:
These new Sako rifles will be chambered in the following cartridges: .22-250 Remington, .243 Winchester, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 Remington, .308 Winchester, 6.5 PRC, 7mm Remington Magnum, 28 Nosler, .300 Winchester Magnum, .338 Winchester Magnum, and .375 Holland & Holland Magnum
End qoute

Other common calibers missing:
223 rem, 7x64, 270 win, 30-06, 8x57. 9.3x62, not even 458 win mag.
Interestingly, Sako cartridges 9.3x66 is not chambered in new rifle.

It is not very often that a brand launches a new rifle not available in 30-06.
The calibers options for the Sako 90 Hunter and Bavarian are: 222 rem, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7 mm-08, 308 Win, 6.5x55 SE, 270 Win, 30-06 Sprng., 8x57 IS, 9.3x62, 270 WSM, 300 WSM, 7 mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 375 H&H Mag

Sako finally addresses the ejection issues in the Sako 85 which occurred in some rifles with the model 90! And they never admitted they had a problem before!
How was the issue addressed? Seems to me they just released a new model with a push feed action.

I agree that in the strictest sense, a CRF rifle grabs the round almost immediately, but my point is, and one you seem to want to ignore is that it doesnt really matter at what point the extractor grabs the rim.

What matters most is that it does so before fully chambering and that it does not require turning the bolt handle down into locked position, as in a push feed rifle, see and read my last post.

Saying all bolt actions are push feed is a silly side argument if we acknowledge that some rifles are CRF and some are push feed. Like calling a mag a clip right?

We seem to have a different idea of what CRF means. I will leave it at that, further back and forth seems pointless.

I agree saying all rifle are push round feed is silly and you seem to miss the point that what you are say is incorrect and just as silly as saying all bolt actions are push feed, hence why I used it.

I am not ignoring your point I am saying it is wrong to call something that is not CRF a CRF. This is something you do not seem to be able to understand.

I agree that the bolt having control of the round before it enters the chamber is desirable if the extractor can jump the rim if the cartridge does not (for what ever reason) get caught before it enters the chamber. Yes this is highly unlikely but it has happened.

The release of a new model with an entirely different design doesn’t address the problem(s) of the 85 in any way.
It actually does it shows that the 85 had issues and they fixed them with the 90. The problem was Sako and Berreta saying there was no issues when there was and people told them what it was.

I have shot/used/owned /have friends who still have the 85'. From 12 85's only a 30-06 had issues which Sako fixed for him

I agree saying all rifle are push round feed is silly and you seem to miss the point that what you are say is incorrect and just as silly as saying all bolt actions are push feed, hence why I used it.

I am not ignoring your point I am saying it is wrong to call something that is not CRF a CRF. This is something you do not seem to be able to understand.

I agree that the bolt having control of the round before it enters the chamber is desirable if the extractor can jump the rim if the cartridge does not (for what ever reason) get caught before it enters the chamber. Yes this is highly unlikely but it has happened.
I understand very well, and no need to question my comprehension.

So does not the 85 take hold of the rim before chambering? I have never owned one but everything I read seems to say that it does.

And would it not also have a hold of the round without turning the bolt down as a push feed would require?

I dont understand why you are so dead set against calling it CRF, unless it does not do these things. In which case I would agree, but if it does its CRF and we are only arguing about degrees.

Or is it that it doesnt grab the rim soon enough to meet your definition of CRF?

How was the issue addressed? Seems to me they just released a new model with a push feed action.
Dual spring ejectors in the bolt face instead of just 1. You can view on their website, the ejection angle is now very flat relative to the opening on the action.

I understand very well, and no need to question my comprehension.

So does not the 85 take hold of the rim before chambering? I have never owned one but everything I read seems to say that it does.

And would it not also have a hold of the round without turning the bolt down as a push feed would require?

I dont understand why you are so dead set against calling it CRF, unless it does not do these things. In which case I would agree, but if it does its CRF and we are only arguing about degrees.

Or is it that it doesnt grab the rim soon enough to meet your definition of CRF?
I will question your comprehension as you question mine.

CRF means the cartridge rim is under part of the extractor before it clears the magazine feed lips. The 85 and SMLE do not do this. The cartridge is fully clear of the magazine before any part of the rim goes under the extractor.

Now this is not my definition of CRF but Mausers as I have been told by a Mauser guru. Now considering Paul Mauser developed CRF then I take their definition of CRF as the correct definition. Boddington also claims the 85 is not true CRF from what I have read.

Yes the amount of distance/time the cartridge is not under control of the magazine or extractor is very short. I am against calling thing something they are not.

I will question your comprehension as you question mine.

CRF means the cartridge rim is under part of the extractor before it clears the magazine feed lips. The 85 and SMLE do not do this. The cartridge is fully clear of the magazine before any part of the rim goes under the extractor.

Now this is not my definition of CRF but Mausers as I have been told by a Mauser guru. Now considering Paul Mauser developed CRF then I take their definition of CRF as the correct definition. Boddington also claims the 85 is not true CRF from what I have read.

Yes the amount of distance/time the cartridge is not under control of the magazine or extractor is very short. I am against calling thing something they are not.
Oh, very well....

Funny how a pristine Mannlicher-Schoenauer is cheaper to buy then a Sako Bavarian carbine....
So I will buy the Mannlicher Schoenauer every time. No service and no gaurantee? No problem over 100 years of history and the only problems I have heard or seen were cracked stocks.

To say other wise is like calling a magazine a clip when it is not. This is a good example of something becoming common vouge and excepted as the norm when in its original form it is not. I believe the proper wording for a clip is a Loading Clip.
Or like referring to any full stocked rifle as 'Mannlicher stocked', 'Mannlicher style', or simply 'Mannlicher' when they are not, as has become the all too commonly accepted form these days.

A full stocked carbine is a stutzen. Not all stutzen were / are Mannlichers, not all Mannlichers were stutzen.

Images from 1939 Stoeger Catalog:

Mauser 1939 Stoeger Stutzen.jpg

Mauser carbine

MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer High Velocity.jpg

Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle

MS ST39  319 Peerless Stocks.jpg

'DIY' stutzen

ST39 clips.jpg

'Clips' - 'Stripper clips', used to charge a magazine, were once referred to as chargers. The en bloc, part 'clip' and part magazine, was designed and patented by Ferdinand Von Mannlicher and originally referred to as the Mannlicher Packet Loading System.

Funny how a pristine Mannlicher-Schoenauer is cheaper to buy then a Sako Bavarian carbine....
I'm good with that so maybe I can save some money! ;) Only issue for me with M-S is the stock is a bit long for my arms but, I bought a stutzen that had been shortened with a recoil pad added and it's a perfect fit.

Or like referring to any full stocked rifle as 'Mannlicher stocked', 'Mannlicher style', or simply 'Mannlicher' when they are not, as has become the all too commonly accepted form these days.

A full stocked carbine is a stutzen. Not all stutzen were / are Mannlichers, not all Mannlichers were stutzen.

Images from 1939 Stoeger Catalog:

View attachment 563039
Mauser carbine

View attachment 563040
Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle

View attachment 563041
'DIY' stutzen

View attachment 563042
'Clips' - 'Stripper clips', used to charge a magazine, were once referred to as chargers. The en bloc, part 'clip' and part magazine, was designed and patented by Ferdinand Von Mannlicher and originally referred to as the Mannlicher Packet Loading System.
Yes Stripper Clip is the full name and the en bloc clips, other than for the Garand I had forgotten about.

Recently picked up a Sako 85 Varmint .204 Ruger, set trigger. Pretty sweet. Had a AV .375 H&H as well. Sako has really made some boneheaded moves though. Europtic is selling off the old S 20s for a thousand bucks or so. Turned out folks didn't want to pay $1700 for a rifle with a slick, noisy plastic stock.

The new S 20 has a composite stock; I still don't like it, but many will.

The S 90 is wait and see. And, as mentioned, they at last acknowledged the 85 extraction problem and supposedly fixed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesnog

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.