Sako 85 - Discontinued?

I've bought two the new Sako 90s.
.22-250 and a .300 WM and very pleased with both.

Who had those beautiful Sako's? 450 perhaps ..

I don't have much time with the Brown Bear, it's handy though, nice looking, etc.

After reading this thread, there are sure a LOT of dedicated Sako owners out there. I've never owned one but they seem like fine rifles.

there are sure a LOT of dedicated Sako owners out there.
Count me as one, sako 85 bavarian, 30.06, optilock mounts Zeiss scope.

Very accurate rifle, pleasent to shoot, with all features that I prefer: iron sights, optilock QD mounts, metalic removable magazine, and optional loading from top via open ejection port, great single set trigger, three posn safety, dove tail for scope mounts, smooth bolt operation, with fine touch details: fine checkering, palm swell on hand grip, rosewood on hand grip and forend, etc... Hard to find better concept in a factory rifle for that price.

Who had those beautiful Sako's? 450 perhaps ..
20230710_135856.jpg

The Zimbabwe chief license examiner uses a Brown Bear model 85 Sako cal. 416 Rigby. I have worked on the rifle a couple of times. For a push feed a good solid rifle.

Lon

Been following this thread.....how relevant are the older SAKO 85 VA versions like this .300 Win Mag in the photo? Would it be a functional hunting rifle still while from the earlier years?

SAKO 1 37d4dd16-3cf8-4c83-b837-eb8689502b38.jpeg
sako 2 37d4dd16-3cf8-4c83-b837-eb8689502b38.jpeg
sako 4 5319b425-bebd-4dfa-b027-467f73430ca9.jpeg
SAKO 5 a827d5de-fea4-4dbf-956b-0b048e3ef9b1.jpeg
SAKO 3760c4d1e-daed-44f5-8fbc-40d9674d17e2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My sako 85, I wouldnt change for anything.

RIfles are stupid, generally they are not aware they are being discontinued and they just keep functioning as intended.
Good rifles, remain good rifles for years.

Been following this thread.....how relevant are the older SAKO 85 VA versions like this .300 Win Mag in the photo? Would it be a functional hunting rifle still while from the earlier years?
That’s not a Sako 85. It looks like an older AV rifle that they made long before the 85 rifles were made. That said, it should be an excellent rifle.

Thank you Toby, yes, I was wondering about the model, it seems quite difficult to get information in regards to this specific rifle in the photos. I would appreciate any relevant information on this type of SAKO rifle ..

This number may give an indication in regards to the model??

SAKO Model579cf173-f430-45ec-b420-7a62d69b7ccb (1).jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those rifles were made in the late 80s and early 90s I believe. I’ve had a couple of them in 416 REM Mag and one in 270 Win, and they were very nice and accurate rifles.
TOBY, yes, I still have to shoot this rifle, so I can not comment on how accurate these rifles are . I need to collect reloading components as well. Will start by purchasing ammo with the lightest point available to shoot small antelope game like a Springbuck here is South Africa ...

This number may give an indication in regards to the model??

View attachment 616002
That would be the model AV, probably manufactured late 80's/early 90's. Sako's serial number data.. well.. leaves a bit to be desired.

Regardless of that, it is essentially the same rifle as the L61R, which from what documentation I have seems to have come out in 1970 (serial no 1). Some smaller changes were made circa 1980 - the stock changed and got more "rounded" lines, a new bolt shroud added, the rear tang was changed a little. At the same time the model name went from L61R -> AIII -> AV.

AIV was a special variant called Sako Safari, with a slightly bulkier belly and a quarter rib IIRC. It was only made in 375HH and 338WM if memory serves me right.

The model that followed the L61/A-series was the L691, and it differs in a few places. E.g. it does not have fixed recoil lug, the safety locks the firing pin, and the exterior dimensions of the action is not the same.

Are they still good rifles? Well, I have three AV's and one L691. They work as intended, and I'm happy.

Attachments

Last edited:
That would be the model AV, probably manufactured late 80's/early 90's. Sako's serial number data.. well.. leaves a bit to be desired.

Regardless of that, it is essentially the same rifle as the L61R, which from what documentation I have seems to have come out in 1970 (serial no 1). Some smaller changes were made circa 1980 - the stock changed and got more "rounded" lines, a new bolt shroud added, the rear tang was changed a little. At the same time the model name went from L61R -> AIII -> AV.

AIV was a special variant called Sako Safari, with a slightly bulkier belly and a quarter rib IIRC. It was only made in 375HH and 338WM if memory serves me right.

The model that followed the L61/A-series was the L691, and it differs in a few places. E.g. it does not have fixed recoil lug, the safety locks the firing pin, and the exterior dimensions of the action is not the same.

Are they still good rifles? Well, I have three AV's and one L691. They work as intended, and I'm happy.
CMK, thank you kindly for this informative reply, it really is much appreciate ...I like the full stock appearance of this SAKO rifle. I still need to shoot it to assess how accurate it is , I am sure this rifle is a lot more accurate that I can shoot..

I love the full stocked aesthetic as well!

I have a modern Bavarian 85 that with a full stock and irons in 308 which is a perfect rifle for minnesota dear hunting. It has a rail to mount a scope too if desired with optilok style rings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaraAmies

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe