Sako 85 - Discontinued?

Don’t get me wrong I get SOME of the criticism. Having said that the Sako 85 IS CRF and DOES NOT have a plunger ejector.
View attachment 527469
Another bolt face picture in an addition to my earlier post in this thread. It is crf. The difference in crf and PF is not that complicated.

Sako “sort of” has control feed.
Thing I don’t like in Sako is that big caliber empty cases get ejected and sometime fall back into the action, this jamming.
This happens with low mounted scopes. And many cases get a dent when ejected (in the mouth of the case - only in large calibers I might add).

Thing I don’t like in Sako is that big caliber empty cases get ejected and sometime fall back into the action, this jamming.
This happens with low mounted scopes. And many cases get a dent when ejected (in the mouth of the case - only in large calibers I might add).
I am going to try and cycle some ammo and see if there is a problem and will post it.
Krish

I also got mediam sako rings and bases for them. Will mount them and cycle few rounds and see.
Ktish

I’ve owned 85’s in a 375H&H and in 308…a Black Bear and, a Finlight, which I still own. All 3 were accurate and none suffered from the case hitting the scope tube on extraction issue.
Personally I find that the Tikka T3, chambered for 30/06 and under a better “ value for money “ product than the 85. As a hunting rifle they are very hard to beat. If I had to replace my Finlight I’d replace her with a T3.
I have shot, a dozen or so shots on the range, Sako 85’s in.416 and.500. No scopes on either, imo I think they are ok. But having said that I traded my old 85 in 375 H&H on a Rigby Big Game. And I’m since bought an additional BG in 416. I replaced my 308 black bear, which I really liked, in for a R8 barrel in 308. I haven’t regretted the decision
Anyway, if Sako were making a dollar on the 85 I reckon they’d still be making them. To me it looks like rifleman around the world have found better, and/ or better value in other products.
RIP Sako 85. I have many fond memories

I do get most of the criticisms but they are indeed crf actions.

It has no plunger ejector or recessed bolt face which enables the rim of the cartridge to slip under the extractor during forward motion thus gaining control of the cartridge without needing to be completely chambered and the extractor to snap over the rim to gain control of the cartridge. Whatever a person perceives doesn’t matter when you look at the facts.

It would be neat to see a case study of crf actions from different manufacturers comparing the points at which their bolts gain full control of the cartridge. I would bet there’s not a lot of difference.

I just don’t see how an action can be something in between crf and PF from a mechanical standpoint. Could be wrong though

I've owned and shot most, if not all of the various CRF and PF guns. I have two Sako 85s and have owned a couple more. I can say without any doubt that the 85 does indeed work as well any other CRF rifle that I've owned. It picks the cartridge up from the magazine and feeds it into the chamber just like a standard Mauser type rifle does. Once the round is picked up and held by the extractor, it can be chambered or ejected at will. Just like any other CRF gun. The problem arises with the 6 o'clock ejector. In some guns with low mounted scopes, it can eject the fired cartridge case up into the scope, which then can fall back into the action and cause a jam. This seems to be mostly a problem with longer cartridge cases, such as 375 H&H. If the gun is used with open sights, or an RMR, this isn't an issue at all. But some low mounted scopes definitely cause issues. I'm hoping the model that replaces the 85 retains some of it's good qualities, and corrects some of the bad.

I’ve owned 85’s in a 375H&H and in 308…a Black Bear and, a Finlight, which I still own. All 3 were accurate and none suffered from the case hitting the scope tube on extraction issue.
Personally I find that the Tikka T3, chambered for 30/06 and under a better “ value for money “ product than the 85. As a hunting rifle they are very hard to beat. If I had to replace my Finlight I’d replace her with a T3.
I have shot, a dozen or so shots on the range, Sako 85’s in.416 and.500. No scopes on either, imo I think they are ok. But having said that I traded my old 85 in 375 H&H on a Rigby Big Game. And I’m since bought an additional BG in 416. I replaced my 308 black bear, which I really liked, in for a R8 barrel in 308. I haven’t regretted the decision
Anyway, if Sako were making a dollar on the 85 I reckon they’d still be making them. To me it looks like rifleman around the world have found better, and/ or better value in other products.
RIP Sako 85. I have many fond memories
I love my Tikka T3X in 223, but I sold my 308. The biggest negative I saw with it was on a backpack hunt with rifle on sling on your shoulder, it is easy to accidentally pop the magazine out. I almost lost it on an Alaskan blacktail deer hunt. I ended up just keeping it in my pocket. The 85 has a much better design for magazine release.

I love my Tikka T3X in 223, but I sold my 308. The biggest negative I saw with it was on a backpack hunt with rifle on sling on your shoulder, it is easy to accidentally pop the magazine out. I almost lost it on an Alaskan blacktail deer hunt. I ended up just keeping it in my pocket. The 85 has a much better design for magazine release.
I agree. My 30/06 T3 has done the same thing. In my mind, it's the only down side to the rifles. Otherwise, they are just about perfect for what they are intended for.

My 85, in 3006, works without issues. With scope.
So this ejection problem must be in larger calibers.

My 85, in 3006, works without issues. With scope.
So this ejection problem must be in larger calibers.
As I recall from previous discussions, the ejection issues have been with larger bolt heads.
Again as I recall, Sako used the same extractor design with larger bolt heads, as with regular bolts. Not sure if it was corrected at some point. Some found ways to adjust the extractor for ejecting larger cartridges under low mounted scopes.

I’ve had a look on the net at the S100- modular stock
Don’t understand why Sako would discontinue the 85.
Beautiful riles!
Maybe something to do with making military rifles/firearms atm.

Don’t understand why Sako would discontinue the 85.
All good eventually comes to and end, in general.
Many great guns eventually had been phased out.

But also we dont know for sure about Sako plans.
There is no any official notice, all is gossip on various forums.
We will see.

I was just on the Sako website, looks like they will be unveiling their new rifle line they have been teasing on May 10th. Fingers crossed.

Don't get excited.

Cautiously excited and optimistic about this release. I'm hoping it's an improved 85 style "traditional" rifle to complement their new modular Sako 100 line. I guess we'll see very soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graham993

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]