Safari Vehicle Breakdown and how much did it effect your hunt.

On my first safari I went with a group organized by a friend who had been there before and acted as an agent for the outfitter. This was in Namibia. I was assigned to a freelance PH who was a nice guy but not the most motivated fellow I’ve ever been around. Out of the 7 vehicles guiding us, mine was always the last to leave every morning. On around day 4 or 5 this was again the case. When we finally got going I was confused when we pulled into the close by small town and stopped at a little garage. We sat around for an hour waiting on a worker before I finally asked why we were stopped. He told me it was to get an oil change and a little more maintenance done. I’ll just say it was as polar opposite of a quick change garage as I’ve ever been to. I sat and steamed in silence until 1pm before we finally got going and it was 2pm when we arrived at our hunting spot. I felt cheated out of 2/3s of my hunting day and stewed about it for a couple of days before I brought it up with our group leader. He discussed this with the outfitter and they had not realized it had happened. Since I only got to hunt for 3-4 hours that day they adjusted the day rate accordingly for me. So I guess in truth it was more a PH reason than a vehicle one as I feel he should have taken care of that during non hunting hours.

Was this the outfitter's or the PH's vehicle?

Glad the outfitter tried to make some consolation.

The day we came out of the hunting concession, the PH instructed us to put all people and luggage into the Nissan bread box van, rifles, trophy skinner, tracker and PH in the Bakkie. As we started out, the PH realized he had forgotten something, and returned to the concession, splitting us up by an hour, at least. It was the RSA BBQ weekend holiday, so traffic was heavy getting back to Pretoria and the Inn.

About 1700 hours we found out the PH had rolled the bakkie on the interstate. He had to be cut out of his seatbelt and revived. Had I ridden with him and my rifles, I would have had my head crushed by the top of the truck being crushed in by the rollover. The trophies were spread all across the highway - as were the rifles.

We got the only white detective in the local police station, and he was out to prove to everyone (all the other black policemen) that he would not favor white hunters from America ignoring RSA gun laws. You see, by being a good/polite hunter/guest and following my PH's orders - the guy who had kept us from being stomped by cape buffalo for 10 days, and fill in the blanks for any other number of things we could have done that were stupid/dangerous, but we didn't know it - I had broken the RSA gun laws regarding keeping the rifles in my possession.

Monday morning (the rollover occurred on SAT), the police CPT started out with "Well Mr. "usma84dab", we thought you had returned to the States on the SUN flight. However, since you are here still, I guess we will go ahead and prosecute you for illegally trafficking your rifles." It took the chief counsel for PHASA until WED to get my rifles returned. They were going to hold them for 6 months to conduct mandatory test firings to insure that they were indeed, functional weapons. The letter from my PH attesting to my trophies kind of took that theft ploy off the playing field. The PHASA lawyer had to go the General of the South African Police force to get the bullshit to stop. The outfitter put me up with a babysitter PH at his expense the entire time past my safari - he genuinely stood behind me and did the right thing. I got 3 extra days in RSA and eventually got the rifles back to take home.

Incidentally, when the police tried to cut the padlocks off of the rifle cases to verify serial numbers, the locks broke the jaws of their bolt cutters. Kinda tough to claim they were unsecured when the police can't get into the case! I am told that I was the poster child for this issue in the country and now ALL outfitters NEVER violate this law, always keeping rifles with clients no matter what. You are all welcome! LOL!!!!!

The day we came out of the hunting concession, the PH instructed us to put all people and luggage into the Nissan bread box van, rifles, trophy skinner, tracker and PH in the Bakkie. As we started out, the PH realized he had forgotten something, and returned to the concession, splitting us up by an hour, at least. It was the RSA BBQ weekend holiday, so traffic was heavy getting back to Pretoria and the Inn.

About 1700 hours we found out the PH had rolled the bakkie on the interstate. He had to be cut out of his seatbelt and revived. Had I ridden with him and my rifles, I would have had my head crushed by the top of the truck being crushed in by the rollover. The trophies were spread all across the highway - as were the rifles.

We got the only white detective in the local police station, and he was out to prove to everyone (all the other black policemen) that he would not favor white hunters from America ignoring RSA gun laws. You see, by being a good/polite hunter/guest and following my PH's orders - the guy who had kept us from being stomped by cape buffalo for 10 days, and fill in the blanks for any other number of things we could have done that were stupid/dangerous, but we didn't know it - I had broken the RSA gun laws regarding keeping the rifles in my possession.

Monday morning (the rollover occurred on SAT), the police CPT started out with "Well Mr. "usma84dab", we thought you had returned to the States on the SUN flight. However, since you are here still, I guess we will go ahead and prosecute you for illegally trafficking your rifles." It took the chief counsel for PHASA until WED to get my rifles returned. They were going to hold them for 6 months to conduct mandatory test firings to insure that they were indeed, functional weapons. The letter from my PH attesting to my trophies kind of took that theft ploy off the playing field. The PHASA lawyer had to go the General of the South African Police force to get the bullshit to stop. The outfitter put me up with a babysitter PH at his expense the entire time past my safari - he genuinely stood behind me and did the right thing. I got 3 extra days in RSA and eventually got the rifles back to take home.

Incidentally, when the police tried to cut the padlocks off of the rifle cases to verify serial numbers, the locks broke the jaws of their bolt cutters. Kinda tough to claim they were unsecured when the police can't get into the case! I am told that I was the poster child for this issue in the country and now ALL outfitters NEVER violate this law, always keeping rifles with clients no matter what. You are all welcome! LOL!!!!!
All I can say is WOW!
And glad you didn’t have to spend any time in an SA jail…. Geez

On my last trip, a trailer broke badly enough that the outfitter dismissed any notion of a local repair. Fortunately, we were within 30 minutes of camp so the breakdown had no impact on actual hunting.

Very lucky in that aspect, not even a flat tire in 8 safaris.
Same here in the same number of hunts. Did have a slow leak, but the driver changed that himself when we were out tracking.

Actually all the folks I have hunted with have had very good well taken care of equipment, always a spare, most often 2, and once even 3. One Hilux,one Unimog, the rest Land Cruisers.

If you didn't have a breakdown, or didn't get stuck, was it really a safari? I'm thinking no.
IMG_0904.jpg

As an aside, in Namibia we stopped at a McDonald's (okay not really but something similar) as we had a two hour drive ahead of us. I enjoyed my burger and fries by my PH couldn't even take a bite cause he was driving. I didn't have the heart to tell him I eat on the highway all the time with both hands, my knees steering the vehicle. But I did offer to help. He was reluctant at first but eventually gave in. He'd never heard of anyone doing this before. He enjoyed his hamburger and fries. :)
IMG_0892.jpg

no mechanical problems, but some one forgot to fill up with gas one night. i found out hitchhiking is a poor option.

Attachments

• DSCN1879 (2).JPG
    DSCN1879 (2).JPG
    719.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN1880 (4).JPG
    DSCN1880 (4).JPG
    824.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN1876 (2).JPG
    DSCN1876 (2).JPG
    742.2 KB · Views: 7
I think that can go either way.

In my experience , PH owned bakkie were very well maintained because that is directly related to the PH’s income and livelihood. Usually the outfitter is paying the PH a premium for the use of the PH owned vehicle.
But, outfitters usually have multiple vehicles available (extra) and if one is having issues they can usually get a replacement and generally have more resources to maintain them (I.e camp staff)

All that said and back Lon”s original question…
Outside of the usual flat tires that only take a few minutes to fix I have never had a “walk home” vehicle issue.
But as someone who has spent my fair share of time in boats and airplanes in Alaska I can see where it could be a real issue in very remote areas where you may be far from any support….especially when it becomes a saftey thing….
But at the end of the day it is really just part of the adventure…if it doesn’t kill you…
:D Beers:
And if the adventure does kill you, so what? I'd much rather expire exhausted under African stars or freeze to death in the bush during an Ontario snowstorm than die in a full diaper at some "retirement home."

Personally, I like fixing things that are broken almost as much as I enjoy hunting. This is rather evident looking at the 1998 Jimmy I'm still driving (after 330K miles). :D A few years ago I smacked a muley buck with it on Hwy 2 in Montana. Middle of the night but still drivable. Tossed the buck on the hitch carrier, duct taped the headlamp back in place (go nowhere without duct tape!), and headed on down the road. Two days and three wrecking yards later it was wearing a different grill and headlamp assembly, and a tan hood that contrasts nicely with the fire engine red body.
20211122_075408.jpg

Finished my Montana hunting season with another very nice buck and full bag of pheasants.
1118180848.jpg

20210622_095735.jpg

But I discovered the hard way the fold up hitch carrier my daughter gave me for my birthday was junk. With the bigger buck loaded, the hitch broke just as we entered town. Those fold-up carriers extend out too far (so soccer moms can open hatchback). Too much leverage. I dug out a couple more tie down straps (always have a big birds nest of them uunder the back seat), tied the carrier up to luggage rack and drove five hours to my brother's house. The next day a neighbor cut off the carrier hinge, welded the carrier shaft back together shortened up to the bumper, and repaired the broken hitch. Since then it's carried a couple of deer and other stuff just fine.
20201025_134929.jpg

Yeah, if something doesn't go wrong it's not much of a hunting trip. The misadventures are the adventures we never forget. :D

On my last trip, a trailer broke badly enough that the outfitter dismissed any notion of a local repair. Fortunately, we were within 30 minutes of camp so the breakdown had no impact on actual hunting.
Broken trailer you say? I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rooster2677

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available