Safari Vehicle Breakdown and how much did it effect your hunt.

Wade, that's the kind of scenario that isn't acceptable to me, especially your comment about total unconcern after it happened. After talking it out, I would adjust the tip accordingly to that member.

I guess it depends on the severity and timing of the breakdown.

On my safari in 2021 we were on our way back to the lodge after an unsuccessful day of bushbuck(?) hunting when the break down occurred. I can't recall exactly what the problem was but it took less than an hour to remedy the problem and back on our way. My PH was more embarrassed about having a breakdown. I took in it instride as part of the adventure.

Since I have no experience in Africa's automotive repair parts supply chain. I can only guess that it is relatively equal to American automotive repair parts supply chain: It is either in stock, out of stock, on order, or needs special ordering or any multiple combination. Then is it a DIY fix or requires a repair shop and an experienced mechanic to fix the problem.

Since I try to incorporate sightseeing and souvenir shopping into my trips, I try to be flexible so I have no problem with my PH having to get his bakki repaired at a local shop. He had ordered a repair part and service to be done between clients. Unfortunately the repair part didn't arrive until after my arrival.

NOTE: WARNING: Probably Not the wisest idea or decision for any PH to let a solo client off their perverbial leash, especially without a way to get in contact. Even in a safer part of town. TIA.

In the end I had a "rather adventurous :cool::unsure::A Whistle:" DIY day. No hunting days were lost.
How much did she charge for that adventure? :D

Never had an issue in Africa besides a couple of flat tires. I have lost some hunting time in Alberta on a deer hunt or 2 due to pick up truck issues. Just rolled with it and helped get us back up and running. Don’t think it ever cost me a chance at a deer.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:......one of the very rare times turned an unsuccessful solo weekend hunting trip into a successful hunt.

Deer were on the menu this trip. Late afternoon using a portable power pack to jump start my Blazer; had 2 deer cross the old grown up logging road just a few short yards from me. My rifle was still loaded and convenient. Once the Blazer was started I let it run to continue to charge the battery while I went to look for the deer. The doe was laying in the woods about thirty feet off the logging road.

One was enough. But had I been paying attention I possibly could have shot the second one that was standing nearby instead of spooking it away.

Very lucky in that aspect, not even a flat tire in 8 safaris.

To eliminate vehicle breakdown we maintain all of our own vehicles.
Most of our hunts are performed by our freelance PHs.

Have you experienced hunting vehicle breakdowns? Did it have much effect on your hunt? How was the situation rectified?

Lon
Since I hunted with you Lon and had two hunting vehicles it was crystal clear to me they were in as new condition. What I loved was my PHs knowledge that we would get flat tires. He had four count them four spares on the truck. We ended up using two. Each tire change amazingly took only 15 minutes!!! Well done Lon!!!

On my second safari the property owner was retrieving my kudu's carcass from a gawdawful place that I would never have driven a vehicle to. We should have put the critter in a "sail" and carried it to a road. A "pineapple bush" stabbed a front tire through a sidewall. My PH brought his truck in somehow and they proceeded to fix the tire ... on the truck. I always believed it was not possible to patch a sidewall puncture but they did it. My PH had an air compressor built onto front bumper/cow catcher. I felt real bad about ruining (maybe?) a tire on a nearly new Hilux but the owner said those skins were crap anyway. We were staying at his family farm house and all my cash was back at the lodge. When I got home I transferred $250 extra to my PH's bank account to pay for his buddy's tire.

So far that's the only vehicle mishap and the hunting was done for the day anyway so no big deal.
Fixing the tire.JPG

Very lucky in that aspect, not even a flat tire in 8 safaris.
8 safaris & not even a flat, Land Rover? Naaahh

On my second safari the property owner was retrieving my kudu's carcass from a gawdawful place that I would never have driven a vehicle to. We should have put the critter in a "sail" and carried it to a road. A "pineapple bush" stabbed a front tire through a sidewall. My PH brought his truck in somehow and they proceeded to fix the tire ... on the truck. I always believed it was not possible to patch a sidewall puncture but they did it. My PH had an air compressor built onto front bumper/cow catcher. I felt real bad about ruining (maybe?) a tire on a nearly new Hilux but the owner said those skins were crap anyway. We were staying at his family farm house and all my cash was back at the lodge. When I got home I transferred $250 extra to my PH's bank account to pay for his buddy's tire.

So far that's the only vehicle mishap and the hunting was done for the day anyway so no big deal.
View attachment 624358
That is a Land Cruiser in the picture , not a hilux.

Lon

That is a Land Cruiser in the picture , not a hilux.

Lon
Easy mistake to make. We don't have either here. Not anymore anyway. Back in my youth Toyota imported Land Cruisers but they were more like hardtop Kaiser (AMC) Jeeps. They were earliest soccer mom SUVs. Great outfits. And Toyota was smart enough to make their drive train bolt up to Chev small block. When Toyota engines gave out (which wasn't long back then) we just went to the wrecking yard for a GM 235 cu in six cylinder. Lots to be had and they dropped right in. Even the engine mounts were the same. Some guys managed to shove 283 V-8 into their Land Cruisers. In low transfer with front tires chained you could walk one of those outfits up a tree.

Check with your outfitter if it matters to you. One hunt the vehicles were owned by the outfitter. They were set up for hunting. My second hunt the PH's used their personal vehicles to take clients around. I think outfitter owned safari vehicles are better equipped.

How much did she charge for that adventure? :D

I said it was "rather adventurous". Not all successful.

Let's just say:

One should positively know and fully understand the ways of their "game". I miss identified my quarry. Worst than staring at a fiercely pissed off cape buff preparing to collect on a debt one owes. Luckily the last drop of luquid in the "pan" was depleted. Having been somewhat in many a similar situations, being unarmed, only to rely on my, although slow, quick of wit and better reflexes I staved off what might have been a if not fatal a surely maiming attack. With a quick bob and dodge, It was only a slight grazing pass by swipe.

Fearing the worst was yet to come. All was not lost.

I quickly and pathictly apologized for her inability to properly interpret the American language. Ordered us to more drinks made her laugh at what had taken place.

Screeching brakes sound.......Okay......Utter BS.....:E Rofl:

Actually and surprisingly I couldn't find a local pub.

"Rather Adventurous" meaning make one's own adventure out of "pot luck".

So I went shopping at the local grocery store, ate at a local snack food shop, visited a hardware/general store, a men's clothing store, a sort of ice cream parlor, and a couple of other shops, as there wasn't much sightseeing to do around this general area.

My PH may have left me alone and off my perverbial leash, but he is smart enough to know better by leaving me unsupervised in this area where I couldn't get into too much trouble.

In my opinion, seeing the PH's truck in good nic (as they say) is an indicator that we are going to have a good week no matter what happens. If I showed up and saw a lot of maintenance issues, I might have concerns about the rest of the hunt. Details matter.

7 Safaris. Nothing serious. A couple flat tires. One heater core leak that needed topping the radiator off once or twice a day. All of that was sorted out pretty quickly. The PH keeps his stuff in excellent condition, especially considering where they are.

On one horseback hunt in the Khomas Hochland I shot a mountain zebra late in the day. They dispatched some staff in ancient cruiser for the recovery. I couldn't believe where they took the rig. You could barely walk through that rocky, steep stuff. We let our tracker take the horses back and we jumped on the rig for the ride back to camp.

On the way back, we overheated at the top of a mountain ridgeline. We radioed in, and by the time the other crew got water to us it was perfectly dark. From our vantage point at the top of the earth, the stars were the most beautiful I've ever seen. There was no moon, and easily enough starlight to walk around. It was purely magical, and we would have missed it otherwise.

Check with your outfitter if it matters to you. One hunt the vehicles were owned by the outfitter. They were set up for hunting. My second hunt the PH's used their personal vehicles to take clients around. I think outfitter owned safari vehicles are better equipped.
I think that can go either way.

In my experience , PH owned bakkie were very well maintained because that is directly related to the PH’s income and livelihood. Usually the outfitter is paying the PH a premium for the use of the PH owned vehicle.
But, outfitters usually have multiple vehicles available (extra) and if one is having issues they can usually get a replacement and generally have more resources to maintain them (I.e camp staff)

All that said and back Lon”s original question…
Outside of the usual flat tires that only take a few minutes to fix I have never had a “walk home” vehicle issue.
But as someone who has spent my fair share of time in boats and airplanes in Alaska I can see where it could be a real issue in very remote areas where you may be far from any support….especially when it becomes a saftey thing….
But at the end of the day it is really just part of the adventure…if it doesn’t kill you…
:D Beers:

One flat tire is all I can remember for an African hunt. Once in Namibia, a PH had an old Mazda pickup, sort of a Hi-lux equivalent. It had a very squeaky right rear brake. Pads were probably worn down and scraping the rotor. I thought it might scare off the animals, but I guess they were use to it.

My Alaskan moose hunt from a few years ago was delayed 4 days due to a starter going out on the Outfitters suburban. No backup vehicle and a replacement started came in from Fairbanks, 100 miles away.

On my first safari I went with a group organized by a friend who had been there before and acted as an agent for the outfitter. This was in Namibia. I was assigned to a freelance PH who was a nice guy but not the most motivated fellow I’ve ever been around. Out of the 7 vehicles guiding us, mine was always the last to leave every morning. On around day 4 or 5 this was again the case. When we finally got going I was confused when we pulled into the close by small town and stopped at a little garage. We sat around for an hour waiting on a worker before I finally asked why we were stopped. He told me it was to get an oil change and a little more maintenance done. I’ll just say it was as polar opposite of a quick change garage as I’ve ever been to. I sat and steamed in silence until 1pm before we finally got going and it was 2pm when we arrived at our hunting spot. I felt cheated out of 2/3s of my hunting day and stewed about it for a couple of days before I brought it up with our group leader. He discussed this with the outfitter and they had not realized it had happened. Since I only got to hunt for 3-4 hours that day they adjusted the day rate accordingly for me. So I guess in truth it was more a PH reason than a vehicle one as I feel he should have taken care of that during non hunting hours.

Boats have a soul. A very evil soul.

Lon

Wade, that's the kind of scenario that isn't acceptable to me, especially your comment about total unconcern after it happened. After talking it out, I would adjust the tip accordingly to that member.
The guide was amazing and did hid best. Even though he'd never actually been in the area we were hunting. I did get a representative moose.
The person I went with was afraid of small planes so we did the lodge hunt instead of fly in. Supposedly just as good. Other staff told us at the time the owner only cared about his plane and fly in people.
I actually became very good friends with the guide and stayed in contact for years until he passed away in a snowmobile accident.
I've booked 2 hunts through cabelas over the years and both were less than satisfactory.
I've done far better on my own using resources such as this site.

Wow Ragman...that example is unacceptable. Using your hunt day to get the oil changed at a garage? Wow. Was that indicative of the rest of your hunt experience that trip or just a single issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilliamCog

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available