Safari Vehicle Breakdown and how much did it effect your hunt.

Tokoloshe Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2017
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.tokoloshesafaris.info
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Life Member Safari International, Life Members Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
To eliminate vehicle breakdown we maintain all of our own vehicles.
Most of our hunts are performed by our freelance PHs.

Have you experienced hunting vehicle breakdowns? Did it have much effect on your hunt? How was the situation rectified?

Lon

That is a fantastic question and especially from a PH. I have been extremely blessed to not have any major vehicle breakdowns and not even any bad stuck situations. The occasional flat tire, etc and the recent humorous buffalo trailer breaking under heavy loads....nothing more than that. Very lucky I feel.

I know you will get a wide range of answers. I think a bad vehicle situation or God forbid a wreck or something could really affect a trip. My PHs have been really focused on their vehicle and tire maintenance. It makes a HUGE difference and I'm grateful for it.

I guess it depends on the severity and timing of the breakdown.

On my safari in 2021 we were on our way back to the lodge after an unsuccessful day of bushbuck(?) hunting when the break down occurred. I can't recall exactly what the problem was but it took less than an hour to remedy the problem and back on our way. My PH was more embarrassed about having a breakdown. I took in it instride as part of the adventure.

Since I have no experience in Africa's automotive repair parts supply chain. I can only guess that it is relatively equal to American automotive repair parts supply chain: It is either in stock, out of stock, on order, or needs special ordering or any multiple combination. Then is it a DIY fix or requires a repair shop and an experienced mechanic to fix the problem.

Since I try to incorporate sightseeing and souvenir shopping into my trips, I try to be flexible so I have no problem with my PH having to get his bakki repaired at a local shop. He had ordered a repair part and service to be done between clients. Unfortunately the repair part didn't arrive until after my arrival.

NOTE: WARNING: Probably Not the wisest idea or decision for any PH to let a solo client off their perverbial leash, especially without a way to get in contact. Even in a safer part of town. TIA.

In the end I had a "rather adventurous :cool::unsure::A Whistle:" DIY day. No hunting days were lost.

In two trips we only had a minor problem with a vehicle. My PH was crossing some RR tracks and something happened with the starter mounting. We got through the day but the next day we used one of the outfitters vehicles. But that one came with it's own problems.

We tried going up a hill that required 4x4 and the transfer case kept popping out of gear, so we just hiked it. I shot a gemsbok and we called the lodge for some help. Well, the skinners showed up and drove the truck up the hill. Come to find out they knew about the problem and there was a piece of twine in the truck to tie off the gear shift to where it wouldn't pop out. After that day I would just hold it in gear when we needed 4x4 to go anywhere.

In Zim, our vehicle, which actually belonged to the freelance PH, started having shifting issues. It was a a transmission leak. We were able to get it to the conservancy HQ. There they had a few maintenance people that were able to slow the issue, but we had to add transmission fluid at least once a day. Lost about a half day.

At the beginning of this years safari, our transport van from Jo'burg to Limpopo blew a tire. We quickly realized that our driver wasn't experienced in changing a tire and we all went to work. Given we were all military veterans, nobody minded getting our hands dirty on a dark highway. Some hunters may not of been so eager to do what we did.

In 2023, while Kudu hunting, our 4x4 blew two tires way back in the bush. Our tracker and the driver went and got some help. My PH and I just continued to hunt. That wouldn't have had a impact on anyone, it surely didn't bother me.

Out of fuel in the bush five miles from the camp at 11:00 at night. "What did the gauge say?" Answer: It doesn't work. SMH. Two hours later and fuel brought from one of the trackers got back around 1:30 a.m.
Bingo fuel is not something to be desired when hunting.

Nothing but a few blown tires from petrified wood or sharp rocks. The boys were like a F1 pit crew and we would be on our way. Always having a spare ready to go was key.
@KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS
IMG_1161.jpeg

Never had an issue in Africa besides a couple of flat tires. I have lost some hunting time in Alberta on a deer hunt or 2 due to pick up truck issues. Just rolled with it and helped get us back up and running. Don’t think it ever cost me a chance at a deer.

Blown tires a few times that were all handled within an hour. Normally 15 minutes but on one occasion the rim was bent and we hand to field straighten it out!

HH

Not sure how relevant our 1997 Mozambique hunting adventure is to your post but we were greatly affected. Both safari vehicles broke down upon arrival in camp. On our 7 day hunt, no hunting vehicles for first 5 days, so we hunted on foot covering 10-15 miles a day, sometimes more, primarily hunting hippo and crocodile, although no ability to recover animals immediately. We could not get to an area to hunt Cape buffalo, our intended quarry, due to no working vehicle. Not even sure how they obtained the necessary parts since there were no auto parts stores I almost surmised they needed a portable machine shop and make your own parts during that era!

In our case, I’m not sure it would have made a difference since the PH got booted out of his original concession which apparently was a much better hunting area and subsequently relocated to another concession which mostly had just hippo and crocodile only, everything else poached out but a working vehicle would at least have given us a “chance” at a buffalo that could have been on the fringes of the concession.

Having a hunting operation in an area devoid of any auto parts stores and no ability to obtain parts poses some challenges.

Out of fuel in the bush five miles from the camp at 11:00 at night. "What did the gauge say?" Answer: It doesn't work. SMH. Two hours later and fuel brought from one of the trackers got back around 1:30 a.m.
Bingo fuel is not something to be desired when hunting.

At the beginning of this years safari, our transport van from Jo'burg to Limpopo blew a tire. We quickly realized that our driver wasn't experienced in changing a tire and we all went to work. Given we were all military veterans, nobody minded getting our hands dirty on a dark highway. Some hunters may not of been so eager to do what we did.

In 2023, while Kudu hunting, our 4x4 blew two tires way back in the bush. Our tracker and the driver went and got some help. My PH and I just continued to hunt. That wouldn't have had a impact on anyone, it surely didn't bother me.

Good tire(s) going flat, a sudden hole in the transmission or oil pan, a piece of unseen wire getting wrapped around the drive shaft those are unexpected road hazards.

But to run out of fuel, or neglecting proper vehicle maintenance there really isn't any excuse.

The occasional flat tire is the worst thing that I have experienced, I feel very blessed I have not experienced worse.

Broke a spring on the truck by putting to much weight in the bed, a whole buffalo. It took a couple of hours to fix. Didn’t delay hunting but it did delay the sundowners and dinner. This was in a wet year in the delta in Mozambique and we spent more time winching out of being stuck than any mechanical breakdowns.

I was with a PH whose fuel gauge was erratic but he knew so and acted accordingly. We had extra fuel and never ran out.

Tyre punctures are the norm depending on tyres, Yokohamas being the best. Fuel? Ok if you got spare with you, but when do you normally run out? Going up a steep hill thats not so nice.

Lon

Quite a few flats,.....shit happens, part of the fun. If a vehicle breakdown cost days or even the entire safari, I would expect a do over.

Flats have happened to me several times, but given the terrain of hacked down trees cut about 2 inches above the ground, yet several inches below the grass line, made that a near guarantee. Had a bench on the rack the truck break, the boys had that fixed before lunch was over.

We're doing a photo safari in manno pool in zimbabwe. Battery had a dead cell in it, so everytime we would stop to take a walk the driver would kill the engine. We would have to push start it. PH kept telling him not to kill it. PH would stop the truck, yep ignition off. Finally would just get driver to back up a hill or termite mound to help until we could get a new battery

Only a flat tire moose hunting in Newfoundland with a very well known outfitter.
Problem was we found out the outfitter knew it had a slow leak and sent us out anyway. 20 miles from anywhere it went flat. At that point found out there was no jack in the truck. Walked a few miles and found someone's camp that had a jack we could borrow. Lost most of a day for something easily avoidable.
The outfitter was totally unconcerned about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TemekaCarr

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available