Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Romania, United States (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California and Wyoming)
Hello,
I took these bullets in on trade today but know nothing about them. I thought perhaps the wise members of this forum could tell me a bit about them. Are they good for hunting or should I load them and shoot them at rocks and cans?
Thanks in advance,
Randy
20230310_194626.jpg

Hello

I have used this Cone Point bullets in my 7x57. RWS use, or used, to make basically one weight of each bullet type by caliber. In 7mm this CP is 162 gr. I used it loaded at 2700 f/s. In this situation, in big Red Deer, is a good bullet. They behaved very much like the Hornady Interlock. This is a good thing!
I think this 300 gr .375" ones should do the same as the Hornady Interlock of the same weight, not less, not more...
As far as I know, RWS does not make this .375" CP bullets anymore, neither Hornady their 300 grs Interlocks, both Round Nose and Spire Point Boat Tail.

@Clodo Ferreira
Thank you very much! I appreciate the detailed information. I've been shooting my 375HH a lot lately but likely will just hold on to these for now. Maybe I will load them up for a hunt someday.
Randy

From 1969 up until 1983, you could only get 2 makes of 300Gr soft nosed factory loaded ammunition for the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum:
- RWS KS (Kegelspitze) Cone Point
- Winchester Silver Tip

The Silver Tips were absolutely atrocious. But I really liked the RWS KS Cone Points. They were absolutely fantastic on lions and I shot my first 2 lions with these. Also fantastic for leopards and I shot a very big 188 LB male with a single 300Gr RWS KS Cone Point behind the shoulder (broadside heart-lung shot).
Screenshot_20221007-024613_01.jpg
Screenshot_20221007-024345_01.jpg

For hunting Cape buffalo with a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum magazine rifle, my preferred setup back in those days used to be 1 RWS KS Cone Point (for the initial shot) followed by the rest of the magazine being loaded with RWS (and later Remington) round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids (for the follow up shots). It was a good combination for the time. The KS Cone Point bullets would come/break to pieces all too easily if used for frontal or quartering away shots on Cape buffalo. I recall one particularly hairy incident in 1979, where an RWS KS Cone Point completely disintegrated after striking the scapula/shoulder bone of a large bull. What happened next could best be described as a comedy of errors, but with immense danger to me and my white hunter and the trackers (a story for another day).

But shots taken from perfectly broadside angles were absolutely devastating for double lung shots on these creatures.
Screenshot_20221007-024254_01.jpg
Screenshot_20221007-024429_01.jpg

The RWS KS Cone Point was considered very revolutionary for it's time. Since the interior lead core used to be completely flush with the gilding metal jacket, there was absolutely no chance of the bullet noses getting deformed by hitting the interior magazine wall of a rifle during recoil (a very common problem with soft nosed bullets during that era).

I would happily use the RWS Cone Point bullets for leopard and lion hunting today, but alas. They were discontinued by RWS in .375 caliber a few years ago.

Last edited:
@Hunter-Habib I appreciate the detailed information. If you would like to have them, perhaps we can find a way to send them to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CKTGeorgia

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex