Controlled feed action thoughts

jimbo1972

AH senior member
Reaction score
So about to go on my first plains game hunt. Would like to start building a semi custom dangerous game rifle for my next hunt. Here’s my thoughts. I built a semi custom rifle from an abused Weatherby Mark V Action that was originally an early 1972 Japanese action. Had Hart rifle barrel blueprint the action, install a new 7mm rem mag 1-8 twist and bed into a McMillian stock. (Note to original rifle has a thin barrel that was shot out and a stock that looked like it was pulled behind a ATV) It took 18 months because of Covid to get it back but it’s a work of art.
Would like to do the same in a controlled feed action in 375HH with a suppressor. Any suggestions on best place to find a donor action? Been looking at local pawnshops for an abused model 70 Winchester

You’ll likely find Post64 CRF 375 rifles in good shape cheaper than a donor Pre64 magnum action or beater Pre64 375. Beat-up Pre64 300H&H rifles can be found but you’ll need to rebarrel and at this point you’re likely at or above the post64 complete gun. Most 375 guns here in the states aren’t shot, carried, or hunted the way grandpas old .270 are so they tend to be in better shape and not quite as abused.

A cheaper alternative you might consider is a Interarms or BRNO. Those can sometimes be found at gun shows or online cheaper than a Pre64 Magnum Action. I’ve seen several in the $700-1000 range over the last 18mo but going rate seems to be $1200-1500 now. Sakos and Browning Safaris are other ones to keep an eye out for that you can sometimes snag on a deal and aren’t as sought after

You’ll likely find Post64 CRF 375 rifles in good shape cheaper than a donor Pre64 magnum action or beater Pre64 375. Beat-up Pre64 300H&H rifles can be found but you’ll need to rebarrel and at this point you’re likely at or above the post64 complete gun. Most 375 guns here in the states aren’t shot, carried, or hunted the way grandpas old .270 are so they tend to be in better shape and not quite as abused.

A cheaper alternative you might consider is a Interarms or BRNO. Those can sometimes be found at gun shows or online cheaper than a Pre64 Magnum Action. I’ve seen several in the $700-1000 range over the last 18mo but going rate seems to be $1200-1500 now. Sakos and Browning Safaris are other ones to keep an eye out for that you can sometimes snag on a deal and aren’t as sought after
Didn’t even think about Sako or Browning Safari. Yea this is not about saving money, just enjoy having something built exactly to my desires. Thanks for the great advice

You could also look into a CZ550 that's had an AHR #2 or #3 upgrade. I've seen a few of them with threaded barrels. If Wayne had his hands on it, it's DG ready.

Another option would be a Ruger or Kimber and have the barrel threaded and maybe change the stock if you want. I'm a big fan of the Kimber Caprivi and Talkeetna as a CRF option.

Lastly, there are a few PF or modified CRF rifle actions out there that are extremely reliable and DG ready like the Blaser R8 or the Bansner Safari. Not trying to start the whole CRF vs PF debate. Just making a suggestion the OP may not be aware of.

You could also look into a CZ550 that's had an AHR #2 or #3 upgrade. I've seen a few of them with threaded barrels. If Wayne had his hands on it, it's DG ready.

Another option would be a Ruger or Kimber and have the barrel threaded and maybe change the stock if you want. I'm a big fan of the Kimber Caprivi and Talkeetna as a CRF option.

Lastly, there are a few PF or modified CRF rifle actions out there that are extremely reliable and DG ready like the Blaser R8 or the Bansner Safari. Not trying to start the whole CRF vs PF debate. Just making a suggestion the OP may not be aware of.
Thanks
Like Ruger a lot but limited aftermarket stock options. Truly don’t care for anything with the name Kimber on it, especially as a foundation for a DG rifle.

Get a military surplus Enfield Model 1917 or (better yet, a Pattern 14 Enfield). There, you’ve got a solid Magnum length action.

Holland & Holland made extensive use of these actions between 1919 -1957.
IMG_1408.png

Didn’t even think about Sako or Browning Safari. Yea this is not about saving money, just enjoy having something built exactly to my desires. Thanks for the great advice
You’re very welcome,

As mentioned above, the Ruger and CZ options exist as well. I saw a beautiful Ruger wearing a 1-4 Leupold, with 2 boxes of ammo at a shop in Austin, TX on consignment Tuesday. It was priced at $3200 you might be able to get it for a little less. If you’re interested, send me a PM and I’ll get you the name of the shop and who to speak to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lfdgodfather

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.