RSA Travel COVID update May 11

Option 3c might be the best. You need an antigen test to get back home anyway and the self test I had posted on another thread would work. They sell it in packs of 6 so no extra cost if you go that route.
Is that the Binax test?

So you just need a rapid pcr test with a we code to enter sa not a vax card?

This policy changed on May 7th while I was in the air from WDH en route to JNB. Posted here for a headsup for other travelers. Spent a long and difficult time in OR Tambo after arrival. Plan carefully...good luck....FWB

This policy changed on May 7th while I was in the air from WDH en route to JNB. Posted here for a headsup for other travelers. Spent a long and difficult time in OR Tambo after arrival. Plan carefully...good luck....FWB
Since this was a "surprise" to you while enroute in MID AIR (and now apparently to everyone else here) how was it resolved? " Plan carefully"? Hard to do when you don't what the plan is and apparently is ever changing?

I found this link. I set up an account and entered my vaccine particulars. It approved me and gave me a QR code certificate. It appears to be a standard for African Countries.??

This thread reminds me of "Night Moves", by Bob Seeger. Alot of fumbling around and excitement.
I'm going to SA this summer, and plan on taking a PCR test the morning of the day to Ieave the US to Johannesburg. Flight leaves Newark at 8 pm. It was not that difficult flying there in 2021. My PH kept me aware of what was needed, please check with who you signed up with. I'm not transiting to another country, in my opinion you should look at what tests are required from one country to another. I don't have a QR code on my Vaccine card, were these even a possibility in the past year? I don't know of anyone who has one, even younger people who did the vax recently.

So getting a test the day before is still exceptable or do you need the vax too?
Apparently, as of TODAY, a test is acceptable with an accompanying QR code. OR, FULLY (no one knows what this means either) vaccinated with a QR code is also acceptable. May 16, with the full moon TOTAL eclipse bearing down on the planet, who knows? Truly unbelievable really!

Quite so, Coelk. No one knows how "hard to do" it can be better than I do. I had no warning. Some of you have a few days at least. It has been more than 21 years since I first visited Johannesburg. In that time I have seen the airport steadily decline in performance. Now, it is so corrupt and dysfunctional that I will not go thru there again. I have given my recommendations on the Covid update thread (and many responded by saying I was completely incorrect....that a PCR test was absolute) but to summarize, here's how I would "plan carefully". 1. Get the Smart Card if your State offers it. A certified Vax card instead of the CDC vax card. (Google it, or AFAR website for instructions). Get the PCR with QR in addition. Drive miles for it if you must. But woe to you if you're going to another regional Country, and have to return to JNB to get connections back to home... because you won't get another PCR with a QR code in surrounding countries and by then your PCR will have expired, so you will have to hope that JNB will let you back for your flight connection. (Stay overnight and you are not an "in transit" passenger.) Get a RAT the day you leave Zim or Bot or Namibia, and that will suffice. Probably) The airport may give you the RAT, and call it good, but when I was there, they had no medical staff, and no RAT test kits. The 5PM shift arrived leisurely at 6:20.... so get the test in Windhoek or wherever, before you leave for JNB. Lastly, when possible, (rarely)....avoid ORT completely. .......best of luck.......FWB

Quite so, Coelk. No one knows how "hard to do" it can be better than I do. I had no warning. Some of you have a few days at least. It has been more than 21 years since I first visited Johannesburg. In that time I have seen the airport steadily decline in performance. Now, it is so corrupt and dysfunctional that I will not go thru there again. I have given my recommendations on the Covid update thread (and many responded by saying I was completely incorrect....that a PCR test was absolute) but to summarize, here's how I would "plan carefully". 1. Get the Smart Card if your State offers it. A certified Vax card instead of the CDC vax card. (Google it, or AFAR website for instructions). Get the PCR with QR in addition. Drive miles for it if you must. But woe to you if you're going to another regional Country, and have to return to JNB to get connections back to home... because you won't get another PCR with a QR code in surrounding countries and by then your PCR will have expired, so you will have to hope that JNB will let you back for your flight connection. (Stay overnight and you are not an "in transit" passenger.) Get a RAT the day you leave Zim or Bot or Namibia, and that will suffice. Probably) The airport may give you the RAT, and call it good, but when I was there, they had no medical staff, and no RAT test kits. The 5PM shift arrived leisurely at 6:20.... so get the test in Windhoek or wherever, before you leave for JNB. Lastly, when possible, (rarely)....avoid ORT completely. .......best of luck.......FWB
Thanks for sharing your experience (nightmare). Wow!

Absolutely astounding.

I fly out Tuesday. Lab I had set for PCR doesn’t do QR and my vac card doesn’t have it either. Scramble time tomorrow.
Mark, text me in the morning.

If you're willing to drive to CSTAT I can ask my neighbor about their facility and QR Codes. Last year he took care of everything for the trip with my father. My dad popped hot the day prior to departure despite being vaccinated. He was able to get the lab to stay open late and re-run the test in under an hour, to which it came back negative this time.

Absolutely astounding.
I really feel for all the many hunters/vacationers to RSA leaving as we speak or soon from countries around the world, who have no idea about this change with the requirement to have a test/vaccine document with a QR code. Sad.

I think the whole lot of it is a bunch of crap. Not just the QR code part, but the whole idea of having to be "vaccinated" to travel.

I think the whole lot of it is a bunch of crap. Not just the QR code part, but the whole idea of having to be "vaccinated" to travel.
No vaccinations/test required to get into Mexico?

I do not know, my friend. I haven't been considering Mexico recently.
To clarify, there are NONE of the above required to get into Mexico. A group I know went there last November. They WERE required to have a negative PCR test to get back into the US at that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilbertCarlisle

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with