Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

its like choosing between a blonde or brunette.
I would recommend gmt master 2 based on the options you listed.

The challenge will be trying to buy a new one from an authorized dealer without a purchase history. Certainly, you can get them on the Gray market and prices have softened since last year. Just please be careful to do good research on the seller and watch.

So there's a meme floating around this week that is hilarious as it is stupid.

It shows a solid platinum Rolex Daytona and the meme says "who says Rolex are good investments?". It shows the value of the watch as $180,000 three years ago and about $134,000 today.

What the pathetic meme author omits is the MSRP was and is between $73k for the watch. So if you paid full retail, you had a 2.5x appreciation plummet to only a 2x appreciation in these "hard times".

I do not own a Rolex. I have been seeing an ad for "them" or so I thought. Finally clicked on the Submariner photo, just to see what they cost and was surprised, $329! Guess these are knockoffs.

I do not own a Rolex. I have been seeing an ad for "them" or so I thought. Finally clicked on the Submariner photo, just to see what they cost and was surprised, $329! Guess these are knockoffs.

A Rolex Submariner no date window & Oystersteel bracelet (Ref 124060) will run you about $9.1K from an AD (authorized dealer) after about a two year wait. Adding the date window makes it $10.3K

It's my understanding that the wait times are coming down due to increased production (Rolex moved into a new and larger facility) and slightly reduced demand. These wait times are based on your relationship with the AD. In other words, how much you have bought from them in the past or if you have purchased multiple Rolex watches. It's also important to the AD that the buyer is an enthusiast, not an entrepreneur. They don't want to sell to flippers, looking to make a quick buck by selling right after buying. The wait time does two things, usually a flipper will become impatient and pull their name off the list, plus it gives the true enthusiast some time to save the money for when the AD calls.

Wait times also vary based on a number of other factors. Location is a big one. I recently met a guy who works for the US State Department who got a Rolex Sub (with date) with no wait at all because of where he was stationed. Another factor is who you are. If Pete Sampras walks into a Rolex store in Paris and they have what he wants...he's probably walking out with it.

For most of us, we have to wait for the AD. And when the AD calls with the watch you requested, you will buy it. If you don't, the relationship between you and the AD will be done. I won't say that they will blacklist you, but unless you had a really good relationship with them, buying a Rolex at that location will not be easy. To keep it simple...when they call, the answer is YES!

I've looked at the Rolex Sub (no date) for a long time. It's a beautiful timepiece, but I don't think it's for me. I've grown to accustomed to my Omega PO, especially since I've made it my daily watch. Whatever you decide, make sure you are happy before you buy. There will be nothing worse than looking at your wrist and being reminded of the watch you SHOULD have bought. Buy once, cry once.

@375 Ruger Fan - you can’t even STEAL a Rolex for $329…

A Rolex Submariner no date window & Oystersteel bracelet (Ref 124060) will run you about $9.1K from an AD (authorized dealer) after about a two year wait. Adding the date window makes it $10.3K

It's my understanding that the wait times are coming down due to increased production (Rolex moved into a new and larger facility) and slightly reduced demand. These wait times are based on your relationship with the AD. In other words, how much you have bought from them in the past or if you have purchased multiple Rolex watches. It's also important to the AD that the buyer is an enthusiast, not an entrepreneur. They don't want to sell to flippers, looking to make a quick buck by selling right after buying. The wait time does two things, usually a flipper will become impatient and pull their name off the list, plus it gives the true enthusiast some time to save the money for when the AD calls.

Wait times also vary based on a number of other factors. Location is a big one. I recently met a guy who works for the US State Department who got a Rolex Sub (with date) with no wait at all because of where he was stationed. Another factor is who you are. If Pete Sampras walks into a Rolex store in Paris and they have what he wants...he's probably walking out with it.

For most of us, we have to wait for the AD. And when the AD calls with the watch you requested, you will buy it. If you don't, the relationship between you and the AD will be done. I won't say that they will blacklist you, but unless you had a really good relationship with them, buying a Rolex at that location will not be easy. To keep it simple...when they call, the answer is YES!

I've looked at the Rolex Sub (no date) for a long time. It's a beautiful timepiece, but I don't think it's for me. I've grown to accustomed to my Omega PO, especially since I've made it my daily watch. Whatever you decide, make sure you are happy before you buy. There will be nothing worse than looking at your wrist and being reminded of the watch you SHOULD have bought. Buy once, cry once.
@BeeMaa - is it faster AND less expensive to go to Europe and buy them? My friend did that 30 years ago and paid 40% less then they were going for in the US at the tim

My local AD (s) are pretty worthless. One is a large operation and give our pieces based on purchase history. I you aren't dropping 20K on other items, forget it.

The other is very small and a VERY limited allocation. Waited 2 years for them to get a GMT in, never happened.

I did pick up a new Air King. Really like the size and weight but my heart is set on a GMT

My local AD (s) are pretty worthless. One is a large operation and give our pieces based on purchase history. I you aren't dropping 20K on other items, forget it.

The other is very small and a VERY limited allocation. Waited 2 years for them to get a GMT in, never happened.

I did pick up a new Air King. Really like the size and weight but my heart is set on a GMT
So it looks like you will be getting a GMT to accompany the Air King.

So it looks like you will be getting a GMT to accompany the Air King.
LOL. Really like the Air King but it would find a new home if a decent opportunity arose to pick up a GMT

@BeeMaa - is it faster AND less expensive to go to Europe and buy them? My friend did that 30 years ago and paid 40% less then they were going for in the US at the tim
Hello Hank, I have some experience relevant to your question having bought one in Europe and having tried to buy one in the US.

Firstly, is it less expensive in Europe? Possibly, a little, but probably not by enough to justify a plane ticket. It depends a lot on model and currency fluctuations, but I reckon the average price is maybe 5-10% less over there, at least based on the models I have looked at (Milgauss, Sky Dweller).

Secondly, is it faster? Not really. Wait times I've seen floating around on here correlate closely to wait times I and various members of my family have experienced in the UK. Also, as BeeMaa mentions, wait times have nothing to do with availability or inventory levels and everything to do with prior relationship. If you appear as a random American in a London store you have no prior relationship and are clearly a low probability of repeat business. Your dealer experience will reflect that.

Also worth considering is logistics. You will not be able to fly over to London and buy one on the day. You will need to wait months, maybe years. Once you get that call, they expect you to drop everything and go get the piece immediately. I'm not sure if you can wire funds to hold for later collection, but the impression I got with my Milgauss is you wait list, they'll call you once the piece arrives, but if someone with a better relationship wanders in before you go collect, it's gone. Are you in a position to drop everything and book a flight to Europe at any time on 24hrs notice? If not, this plan might be a bad idea.

So true, 31 months so far and have no reason to believe I won't be waiting another 31.

Timex
Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
I don’t even wear a watch anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim T

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!