Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

My wife sent her rolex in 2 years ago for a basic service and adjustment to the strap

Cost was approx $1200

I was quoted $2000 to $2200

So ain't cheap

I too was urged not to change anything - including the strap

Just have it mended/serviced

The real pitfall of Rolex service is if they open the case they’re doing a full service. Need a marker reattached? Full service. Replace dial? Full service. Regulate? Full service.

That’s why I use Bob, plus he doesn’t play any parts swap games or ask to trade you a new watch for a historically significant older ref. model.

You’re $1600+ just to get them to look at it basically.

Bob does fantastic work. I sent him 2 birthyear rolexes I picked up (1980) that he serviced and updated while keeping original dial. He’s only one I would use for work like that.

When sending to Rolex always write you want to keep dial original.

View attachment 591080
Man, that is a sweet piece!

One other option you may consider for your wife would be a Cartier balon bleu auto. I bought one for my wife in preference to a Rolex and to my mind it is in the next league, certainly more elegant.

My wife sent her rolex in 2 years ago for a basic service and adjustment to the strap

Cost was approx $1200

I was quoted $2000 to $2200

So ain't cheap

I too was urged not to change anything - including the strap

Just have it mended/serviced
When I sold my Tudor Oyster I was afraid in its condition it wouldn’t bring much. The buyer loved that it was 100% original. Paid 3x what I thought it was worth.

I’ll bet Rolex doesn’t give buyers cool Tshirts like Rescoe watches does. :ROFLMAO:

Ok maybe a cool polo shirt :cool:

IMG_3583.jpeg

Bought mine some years ago, a date-just, oyster steel and blue dial. They were still hard to come by, especially the sport models, but you could find them in the jewelers showcase and they were not display models. I sometimes kick myself for not coming out with that two-tone sea-dweller that was in the case, but that thing was huge and more than double the price.

One day I would like to acquire a second Rolex so i would have one for both of my boys when it's time to start passing things down.

I’ll bet Rolex doesn’t give buyers cool Tshirts like Rescoe watches does. :ROFLMAO:

Ok maybe a cool polo shirt :cool:

View attachment 591117
If I ever spend more than $40 on a watch, it will be a Resco.

I enjoy my counterfeit Breitling well enough for now. It has a good backstory, doesn’t need batteries, average joe can’t tell the difference(or care), and it was made “in the Switchinternet” :ROFLMAO:

Rolex has to be the stupidest, lamest company I've ever dealt with. I want a specific Rolex for the wife. The conversation has gone like this:

[Big Rolex dealer in Boston] "I can neither confirm nor deny that we have that particular watch in stock," [he actually said that] "You'll have to come to our store in Boston to see if we have it." [WTF? He knows I'm in Louisiana. Okay so I'll try a Rolex dealer in NOLA, one that is part of a network of stores] "Very nice watch. We don't have it and neither do our other stores. we can request one from Rolex, it will take two to three weeks to respond whether they are wiling to make it or not, and if so when they will make it. Probably take four months or so if they decide to make it." [Double WTF. This is a watch Rolex currently lists on their website and they might not make it. That's crazy. And three other dealers essentially said the same thing. Rolex has to be the stupidest, lamest company I've ever dealt with.]

Glad I've never given Rolex any of my money, and never will. Oh, btw, I wear a Garmin Tactix Delta all the time, including when I'm hunting.

You're understating how Rolex works considerably. It's much, much worse than you make it out to be.

Rolex in most stores has ZERO sport watches. Those are all loaned watches from the museum. Not for sale. For the desirable sport models, you used to be able to buy one from the AD if you were already a good Rolex customer at their dealership. (I've bought about 15 over the years, so I'm telling you how it worked in 2009-2015) This year, I went into a new AD in another region and the manager played no games with me at all, she was honest. "You're not getting a sport watch from us, never going to happen". The sport watches get allocated to people that buy LOTS of their super high-margin jewelry and in response, you get the privilege of buying a sport watch. I'm not that guy, and will never be that guy, so we laughed about it and hung out in the shop for awhile. The manager was lovely, she gave me a bunch of Rolex swag including one of their catalog books I have in my safari smoking room. She even told us the best place to get lunch near Mayo Clinic.

At any rate, Rolex has created insatiable demand which holds the value of the brand up. I'm actually thinking of selling my Rolex Hulk I have on my wrist right now for these reasons. MSRP when new was probably $8800. (and you just had to buy a dozen prior rolexes to get access at the time) That watch used is $20k today.

When I bought my first Rolex at age 23, you could get one on the nose, at 15% under MSRP. Those were the halcyon days indeed! I think I paid $3800 for my seadweller and that watch today if I still had it would be far north of $10k used.

Bottom line, you need to be very good friends with your Rolex rep and the Authorized Dealer or you'll get no sport watches at all. If you're willing to buy the pure gold models, you have a minute chance If you're willing to buy their dress watches, you can get those sometimes same day, sometimes within 12 months.

As I posted previously, I love my Submariner but to me it is a piece of jewelry and while it was not an investment at the time I gifted it to myself, it is worth a lot more today than what I paid for it. I may consider selling it one day.
When my dad passed away, I got his wind up Bulova and while I don’t think it is worth much, it has great sentimental value to me.
The watch I currently have in my arm is a cheap Timex Expedition but the watch band is what sets it apart. A very nice Silver band covered in Turquoise and Coral made by an artist in the Navajo tribe. I like it a lot.

Image1709592085.031731.jpg

Just now seeing this. I have owned the brand for over 30 years. In the 80's and 90's, I could buy the traditional stainless/gold for $1500 to $2000. I bought and wore used Presidents for $5000. They were much less expensive in those days and used hollow bracelets and less robust cases. In 2001, they improved quality dramatically and prices rose. In 2007 I bought a new in box President for exactly 15% less than retail. I think $13000 is what I paid.

We have a very large AD in our city. Went in to have a link taken out and chatted with the sales lady. Every watch they had on display was on loan from Rolex. They did not have a watch in stock that could be bought. Everything had to be on a wait list. They would sell me a new President for $34000, but could give no delivery date. She guessed 2 years.

I bought my wife one as her first Mother's Day gift in 1998.

This, a large mako shark, a blue marlin, a 100lb elephant and I think I could check all the boxes!

1709597173748.png

Got a great family and we all know Jesus!

Aren't the streets in Heaven paved with gold Rolexes?

Check this weekly blog for insight into why some people enjoy good watches from all points of the cost spectrum. You don't have to like Rolex or even like people who like Rolex to enjoy it, but it's well done and hits the travel-adventure vibe that goes along with good gear, cars/trucks, watches, hunting, guns, travel etc

Well, I'll just go on wearing cheap wrangler jeans, t shirts, boots and no watch. The lifestyle I live would render even the best watch useless and valueless in a short amount of time. The kind of people I hang around don't care about Rolex, clothing, cars, houses, or other things whose primary purpose is elite appearance or demonstration of wealth.

AFTER YEARS OF HARD WORK FOR OTHERS I FINALLY WENT OUT ON MY OWN. WHEN I DEPOSITED WHAT THEN WAS A LARGE DRAW TO ME, I DECIDED TO BUY THE 2-TONE DATEJUST I HAD BEEN EYEING AT THE LOCAL GUN/PAWN SHOP TO CELEBRATE THE OCCASION.
THAT EVENING AS I WAS PASSING OUT SLICES OF PAPPA JOHNS TO THE KIDS FOR DINNER, MY DAUGHTER ASKED WHAT WAS THAT ON MY WRIST AND WHEN I PROUDLY TOLD HER THAT WAS MY NEW ROLEX, SHE PROMPTLY JUMPED UP AND HOLLERED "DADDY IS A DRUG DEALER"!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubrin023

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?