Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

I guarantee you I can go into my locally owned jewelry store and get attention. Whether that is buying new, used, or getting on a wait list. Small towns have their advantages.

Can't agree more with the thread title!
They will end soon... no Company can survive to an Army of dissatisfied customers (n)

The only dissatisfied people are not actually customers..

The overwhelming majority of Rolex owners I know (including myself) are extremely satisfied..

Their business model is confusing to some, and a pain in the ass to many.. but it is clearly working for them.. they continue to sell every watch they make every year..

Can't agree more with the thread title!
They will end soon... no Company can survive to an Army of dissatisfied customers (n)
Dissatisfied maybe, but still desperate to own one. Doesn't make sense but, as just about every post on this thread has confirmed, owning a Rolex is not about common sense. Admittedly, not always about vanity either. But that seems to be a reason for many who own them.

If I had to choose between a fancy watch and a safari, no calories would be wasted in that thought process. Memories are priceless. They only depreciate when dementia takes over ... when everything becomes valueless.

Interesting history and trivia. Also, marketing genius! BTW, I don't own a Rolex.

By the start of World War II, Royal Air Force pilots were buying Rolex watches to replace their inferior standard-issue watches; however, when captured and sent to prisoner of war (POW) camps, their watches were confiscated.[15] When Hans Wilsdorf heard of this, he offered to replace all watches that had been confiscated and not require payment until the end of the war, if the officers would write to Rolex and explain the circumstances of their loss and where they were being held. Wilsdorf was in personal charge of the scheme.[72][73] As a result of this, an estimated 3,000 Rolex watches were ordered by British officers in the officer camp Oflag VII-B in Bavaria alone.[72] This had the effect of raising the morale among the allied POWs because it indicated that Wilsdorf did not believe that the Axis powers would win the war.[72][74] American servicemen heard about this when stationed in Europe during WWII and this helped open up the American market to Rolex after the war.[15]

On 10 March 1943, while still a prisoner of war, Corporal Clive James Nutting, one of the organizers of the Great Escape, ordered a stainless steel Rolex Oyster 3525 Chronograph (valued at a current equivalent of £1,200) by mail directly from Hans Wilsdorf in Geneva, intending to pay for it with money he saved working as a shoemaker at the camp.[72][74][75] The watch (Rolex watch no. 185983)[75][76] was delivered to Stalag Luft III on 10 July that year along with a note from Wilsdorf apologising for any delay in processing the order and explaining that an English gentleman such as Corporal Nutting "should not even think" about paying for the watch before the end of the war.[72][74] Wilsdorf is reported to have been impressed with Nutting because, although not an officer, he had ordered the expensive Rolex 3525 Oyster chronograph while most other prisoners ordered the much cheaper Rolex Speed King model which was popular because of its small size.[72] The watch is believed to have been ordered specifically to be used in the Great Escape when, as a chronograph, it could have been used to time patrols of prison guards or time the 76 ill-fated escapees through tunnel 'Harry' on 24 March 1944.[72][74][77] Eventually, after the war, Nutting was sent an invoice of only £15 for the watch, because of currency export controls in England at the time.[74] The watch and associated correspondence between Wilsdorf and Nutting were sold at an auction for £66,000 in May 2007, while at an earlier auction in September 2006 the same watch fetched A$54,000.[74][76] Nutting served as a consultant for both the 1950 film The Wooden Horse and the 1963 film The Great Escape.[72]

Interesting perspectives from you all. I own 12 automatics with 3 of them being Rolex’s. A solid and well known Swiss watch company. Many lesser owned higher quality watches out there appreciated by a few of us. That said my father passed down his Rolex to me which started my appreciation for fine watches. A plan I have for each of my sons when they graduate college.

HH

Cool story, but from the Rolex owners I know, I imagine he's not that incorrect. The people on this board, statistically, are probably not the same demographics as most Rolex owners I would guess. Nearly everyone that I have personally met that wears one, tends to baby it more than a Casio for instance. My point is, I would personally not read into that comment enough to respond so vehemently.
Strange. The majority of the Rolex owners I know have "cool stories" much like those of @JoninCO and we don't baby them.

Safe hunting

I have a Tag Heuer that's over 30 years old. It is a gift from my parents. Before I received it, I wanted a Rolex Oyster mostly because the idea sounded cool and it was mentioned in a Wilbur Smith novel. I don't know what the cost difference was at the time but it was enough that the Tag was a special one time gift, and that if I still wanted an Oyster "I could maybe buy one for myself some day." I've never wanted another watch after receiving the Tag. I had to get it overhauled at one point but it was worth it to me. I have illusion about equivancy with an Oyster, but for me what I've got is more than good enough.

I had no idea about Rolex's sales practices till I saw this thread. This reminds me, by contrast, of the courtesy shown by Rigby when a schlub like me entered their store. I might have the means someday to justify owning one of those, I don't know. But the welcome I received reinforces my aspiration. I've read that numerous others had the same experience. If I still had interest in a Rolex, I would've completely lost it if I had an experience like some of you have described with their dealers.

Last edited:
Memories are priceless.

For several posting in this thread, the Rolex represents exactly that..

It was purchased or given to them in a specific moment in time… when they were admitted into a very exclusive, hard earned position within a certain military tribe…

It was a time honored tradition (perhaps still is? Although I’ve noticed not nearly as many of the young guys wear a Rolex today as in times past).. no different than the Randal knife… and for the really old school, the star sapphire ring…

As stated earlier in this thread by another member of that tribe.. sure it’s expensive.. and certainly not easy to acquire on the meager salary of a soldier..

But in most cases it will be valued far more than a single hunt, and elicit memories of a period in life, special people time was spent with, doing incredible things, often in far away places… for the rest of that persons life…

It is to these soldiers, what taxidermy is to a hunter..

a trophy.. a way to elicit memories.. (in addition to being a fine time piece)..

Strange. The majority of the Rolex owners I know have "cool stories" much like those of @JoninCO and we don't baby them.

Safe hunting
Thats kind of my point... Everyone has a different experience with the brand and owners of the brand. Between the two of us, from the small amount of information exchanged, we seem to know very different groups of owners for instance. It doesn't make one position right or wrong and it's not even that strange. But that in mind I just think that the comment kicking off this little branch off topic wasn't meant as personally as it was read.

I have had my Rolex covered in blood more times than I can count. I literally wear it for everything. It’s a stainless steel tool watch, blood isn’t going to hurt it one bit.

The implication that those of us that like a nice watch aren’t working class guys says more about you than us. I work my ass off for 12+ hours a day to have a nice life. I spent 16 years away from my family 280 nights a year, I’ve been shot twice, blown up 3 times, had a helicopter roll over on me, had a joint replacement in my 30s from a parachute injury, I do my own landscaping, I change my own oil, I never inherited a dime from anyone, and I wear a nice watch that my grandkids can appreciate when they’re my age and one of them is wearing it. I feel exactly zero remorse about being successful, it was brutally difficult.

We all look forward to your next passive aggressive dig at everyone that doesn’t think exactly like you.
Perfect! Thanks for your service too my man. I have a few special watches I hope my kids and grandkids wear one day. Guns too!

As this thread approaches 9 pages...I have to laugh.

Y'All do realize this is exactly why Rolex is successful? 9 pages of posts...in under 48 hours...about a Watch?

That's called Brand Awareness and Rolex has mastered it.

Not made by rolex...they are customised rolexs....a friend years back was involved in either funding or assisting the making of them....saw his one..was neat

I don't think Rolex has a problem with them...

I think you would be hard-pressed to find a more pro-hunting watch company.

For several posting in this thread, the Rolex represents exactly that..

It was purchased or given to them in a specific moment in time… when they were admitted into a very exclusive, hard earned position within a certain military tribe…

It was a time honored tradition (perhaps still is? Although I’ve noticed not nearly as many of the young guys wear a Rolex today as in times past).. no different than the Randal knife… and for the really old school, the star sapphire ring…

As stated earlier in this thread by another member of that tribe.. sure it’s expensive.. and certainly not easy to acquire on the meager salary of a soldier..

But in most cases it will be valued far more than a single hunt, and elicit memories of a period in life, special people time was spent with, doing incredible things, often in far away places… for the rest of that persons life…

It is to these soldiers, what taxidermy is to a hunter..

a trophy.. a way to elicit memories.. (in addition to being a fine time piece)..
A valid point. The most valued safaris for me involve pursuit of various species on various properties. The memories are plural. It seems to me the Rolex represents essentially a singular memory. And yes, it creates another memory when handed down to children or grandchildren. And being something useful, hopefully it would be worn daily and raise the donor from the dead almost everytime the time is checked.

Taxidermy has a short shelf life for sure. It can be painful for family members to throw away grandpa's trophies but as often as not they have no other option. It's one reason I prefer euro or cap mounts over fur and glass eyes. A little easier for a descendant to fit into their lifestyle (or their spouse's lifestyle). And I think easier to discard (last thing I want to leave behind is post mortem familial conundrums). I'm guessing this is the one piece of taxidermy in my house that may survive a couple of generations. My daughter did the fish (a replica), the creel and lure box were my dad's, and I made the lamp. I can see this lighting my great grandkid's bedside while he/she reads a bound copy of my hunting exploits ... or the collection of fairytales I wrote when my daughter was pregnant (okay, wise guys ... they are two different books).
20230619_172437.jpg

I can see some potential utility for owning a Rolex as a momento or potential momento. And I can certainly afford one. But for me an expensive watch would not speak to future generations about who I was. In fact, a Rolex would almost certainly project the wrong impression about who great grandpa was. But that's just me. Everyone is different.

Dissatisfied maybe, but still desperate to own one. Doesn't make sense but, as just about every post on this thread has confirmed, owning a Rolex is not about common sense. Admittedly, not always about vanity either. But that seems to be a reason for many who own them.

If I had to choose between a fancy watch and a safari, no calories would be wasted in that thought process. Memories are priceless. They only depreciate when dementia takes over ... when everything becomes valueless.

There is very little about African Hunting that makes "common sense"

- Expensive hunting trips, where you can't bring home meat
- 16 hour flights
- expensive guns, expensive ammo
- dealing with 3rd world police, militaries and customs agents
- facing machine gun wielding teenagers in berets
- camping among venomous snakes, insects that carry deadly diseases, and several animals that don't mind eating humans

"Common Sense" (for me) would dictate hunting locally for whitetail deer and black bear, with a $400 .30/06, which I do, if it's raining and I don't want to get my Sako wet.

I also love to drive 2,000 miles to hunt out west, buy beautiful firearms, own a nice watch, drive a 38 year old Land Cruiser that get's 12 MPG, and try to get to Africa every chance I get!

The most I have ever paid for a vehicle was $18,000. My house cost $225,000.

Guns, watches, and hunting & fishing trips are more important to me.

Last edited:
My mom has one. It’s been back for service a couple of times in 40 years. Keeps it in one of those boxes that moves around to keep it wound up. She’s in her 70’s now, hardly wears it. My buddy had a real nice, old submariner from the early 70’s he wore for years. Sent it to a service center and someone there stole the quite valuable face out of it and replaced it with one that was inferior. I guess that’s something you have to watch out for. No one could prove or disprove anything, he was so disgusted with the whole affair that he sold it.

Mine

FF0501CA-7ADB-4752-973A-93364056D164.jpeg

Clasp stopped locking into place over time

Put it aside meaning to have it adjusted

Has been in the bedroom draw for last 18 years

Don’t wear a watch now and haven’t done since putting it aside

Probably gonna need a service. Bob Ridley at Watchmakers International is your guy, he used to run the Rolex service center. His prices, turn-around, and service are second to none. He has a concierge named Jana who is the sweetest person alive.

Drop me a line if you decide to part with it.

Probably gonna need a service. Bob Ridley at Watchmakers International is your guy, he used to run the Rolex service center. His prices, turn-around, and service are second to none. He has a concierge named Jana who is the sweetest person alive.

Drop me a line if you decide to part with it.
Bob does fantastic work. I sent him 2 birthyear rolexes I picked up (1980) that he serviced and updated while keeping original dial. He’s only one I would use for work like that.

When sending to Rolex always write you want to keep dial original.

IMG_0197.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparkys

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!