Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

When my daughter graduated from West Point I bought her a stainless Rolex. She cross branched to Air Force and at this time she is a full colonel and is one of 32 attending the USMC war college and still wearing the ROLEX her proud father gave her at West Point, the best money I ever spent.

Like Ontario hunter said it is all about memories.

Lon

AFTER YEARS OF HARD WORK FOR OTHERS I FINALLY WENT OUT ON MY OWN. WHEN I DEPOSITED WHAT THEN WAS A LARGE DRAW TO ME, I DECIDED TO BUY THE 2-TONE DATEJUST I HAD BEEN EYEING AT THE LOCAL GUN/PAWN SHOP TO CELEBRATE THE OCCASION.
THAT EVENING AS I WAS PASSING OUT SLICES OF PAPPA JOHNS TO THE KIDS FOR DINNER, MY DAUGHTER ASKED WHAT WAS THAT ON MY WRIST AND WHEN I PROUDLY TOLD HER THAT WAS MY NEW ROLEX, SHE PROMPTLY JUMPED UP AND HOLLERED "DADDY IS A DRUG DEALER"!
Was it the Rolex or ALL CAPS that made your daughter think that?

Image1709658306.080101.jpg

Out to dinner last night and wearing the fist one I bought for myself. Still looks good after 28 years.

HH

Well, I'll just go on wearing cheap wrangler jeans, t shirts, boots and no watch. The lifestyle I live would render even the best watch useless and valueless in a short amount of time. The kind of people I hang around don't care about Rolex, clothing, cars, houses, or other things whose primary purpose is elite appearance or demonstration of wealth.
You bum! I at least wear a Casio Forester with (shudder!) velcro strap. It ain't no jewelry ... but I'm no jewel either. So we're a good fit.

Try buying a Hermes Birkin bag. Unless one has connections it is impossible to buy one.

Not impossible, you just have to be invited to buy one: Requires a minimum spend on Hermes products before you reach the required tier.

Ferrari is another company known for playing games.

Not impossible, you just have to be invited to buy one: Requires a minimum spend on Hermes products before you reach the required tier.

Good to know. I was just about to head down to the dealership and trade in my '98 Jimmy. Guess I'll have lunch at Golden Arches instead. :D

Strange. The majority of the Rolex owners I know have "cool stories" much like those of @JoninCO and we don't baby them.

Safe hunting

The demographics will change this outlook considerably. One of the reasons I had always been hesitant to jump into Rolex is because of how prevalent they are with kids these days, as well as my late thirties contemporaries:

The first thing any nearly minted Finance or Wolf-of-Wall-Street-wannabe grad does these days on landing their first job is buy a used Rolex online. Every twenty something, fleece vested finance bro has one.

The demographics will change this outlook considerably. One of the reasons I had always been hesitant to jump into Rolex is because of how prevalent they are with kids these days, as well as my late thirties contemporaries:

The first thing any nearly minted Finance or Wolf-of-Wall-Street-wannabe grad does these days on landing their first job is buy a used Rolex online. Every twenty something, fleece vested finance bro has one.
That seems like a very reasonable 'experience' to justify a watch purchase to me.

Graduated college, first big boy job, that's a big milestone.

I've bought watches for both of those reasons and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Perhaps not a cool story, but important to them, which is really all that matters?

I agree with you @Alistair. When I bought mine earlier in my career it was a gift to myself after being promoted to a Director level position in the company I was with at that time. It was a very proud accomplishment and oftentimes when wearing it I will look down to glance at the time and it will take me back to that time in my life. Great memories.

If interested in purchasing a nice watch, you may check Watchmaster.com, they offer a good range of new and used watches.

They kept telling my daughter to keep coming back each morning we were in Dubai. She got it on the last day she was in Dubai after dressing up in designer clothes and jewelry, after I called a friend that had connections.

She had not shopped there much, got me a cashmere muffler scarf as a present and herself a purse some years ago.

I have also heard bobswatches.com is also a reputable source to purchase as well.
DavidSW in FL is also very good. Their prices get better in person/with cash if you happen to be in Orlando or Miami. They understand the art of negotiation.

Contact "knepper Time" in Portland Oregon if you're looking for anything watch related. Ask for Adam, he has the contacts needed to get anything you want, used or new. He is the number 1 used watch dealer in Oregon I believe. Don't mess with the auction sites. I would just give him a call.

Last edited:
DavidSW in FL is also very good. Their prices get better in person/with cash if you happen to be in Orlando or Miami. They understand the art of negotiation.

I believe I sold this unauthorized dealer a number of rolexes back about ten years ago. Back in the good old days, I had enough pull to buy 20% off from ADs with unsigned warranties and would flip them for MSRP for above retail resale. It was a great second source of income for a dad with young kids at home. The availability at or under retail dried up like the dead sea as the craze migrated across the whole nation.

Contact "knepper Time" in Portland Oregon if you're looking for anything watch related. Ask for Adam, he has the contacts needed to get anything you want, used or new. He is the number 1 used watch dealer in Oregon I believe. Don't mess with the auction sites. I would just give him a call.
He was able to get me a sprite GMT for my wedding! Highly recommend !

E8456530-498A-4B98-80B9-0F9733122755.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That sprite is stunning @Hawken18 . My dream watch is a SS GMT “Pepsi” with a jubilee band. It was an undesirable watch 10 years ago, now it’s unobtainium, even with the relaunch. The black and green ceramic bezel looks great on your modern GMT.

The kids won't want the taxidermy.

The trips, the memories, they'll treasure. The timeless watches, art, bronzes...the rifles, shotguns, pistols, will be great reminders for them.

Very prevalent in the trading floors indeed, but much depends on the nationalities in my experience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianaTru

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles