Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

I just can’t get into expensive watches or any similar conspicuous consumption items. They have no value to me.

It the case of a Rolex most of its value is derived from marketing and designed scarcity.
I disagree. Go watch a video on their QC and factory. You know what you are getting, a well made tool that simply works. Sound similar to the guns on here we talk about?

Good watches. They have made some models that are fairly low-key but the watches that generally come to mind when one says “Rolex” are entirely too flashy for my tastes.

Reminds me too much of an LV bag- way too obvious. I’d rather show off with something that few people recognize in the first place. “What tailor made your jacket” leads to a conversation with someone who recognizes and appreciates bespoke tailoring. “Nice Rolex” leads to “thanks man”

That said, they are a solid watch and in matters of taste there is no right or wrong. While I tend towards understated, I really do enjoy walking around SCI and seeing the amazing custom boots and jewelry and big watches and and bolo ties the wealthy Texans often wear. If I lived in that world, I would absolutely embrace it and a Rolex would look fabulous and my wife would have a leopard-claw necklace!

Good watches. They have made some models that are fairly low-key but the watches that generally come to mind when one says “Rolex” are entirely too flashy for my tastes.

Reminds me too much of an LV bag- way too obvious. I’d rather show off with something that few people recognize in the first place. “What tailor made your jacket” leads to a conversation with someone who recognizes and appreciates bespoke tailoring. “Nice Rolex” leads to “thanks man”

That said, they are a solid watch and in matters of taste there is no right or wrong. While I tend towards understated, I really do enjoy walking around SCI and seeing the amazing custom boots and jewelry and big watches and and bolo ties the wealthy Texans often wear. If I lived in that world, I would absolutely embrace it and a Rolex would look fabulous and my wife would have a leopard-claw necklace!

Rolex is not called “a Texas Timex” for nothing.

My dad bought a knockoff Rolex in Mexico one winter when his Bulova died. It looked nice and his golf partners would always take note. "Jack, is that a Rolex? Wow!" He'd laugh. "No, it's Mexican junk ... but it keeps time." And it was still ticking when he died at that golf course, June 1999. I wonder what happened to it? Time to phone brother Mike and see if he's got it. My grandson would probably get a kick out of wearing that bauble. Something from great grandpa he never knew.

Surprised as to how things may have changed from a dealer perspective and Rolex. When I got mine almost 20 years back things were very different and I was treated very well. Even for regular service I used the same AD and I had no issues.
I got a Panerai that I later sold and now regret, these watches not only hold their value but I see a substantial increase if I have to sell it today.
I like fine things, wear them because it makes me feel good and I appreciate the perfection, in all these years it has never missed a beat.
Secondly, I plan to pass this on to my Son when he graduates as a heirloom and he will most probably carry on the tradition..

So what is the problem, I just dont get it, if someone has issues with me wearing a fine watch that I paid for with my hard earned money so be it...I enjoy it even though of late my Apple Ultra is getting more wrist time..

Then don’t buy guns or ammo. They do it far worse than the watch manufacturers.
I was in Dallas for the show. I stopped by the Heym booth and asked how long it would take to get an Express in .404 Jeffery. He pulled one out from under the table! Plus, there was no requirement to buy a couple of their other products to get the one I wanted. I didn’t like the wood and didn’t buy it. But it exists. No, I don’t think guns are anywhere near as hard to get as a Rolex.

I've love the Submariner that my mom and dad purchased for me brand new in 1987 as my college graduation present for $2,000. (Dad sold tractor parts, Mom made zippers). I've worn it nearly every day for 37 years. I had it appraised last year - $7,000. They paid off my brother's 1980 Buick Regal two years later for the same price. (I still have the watch!)

If I win the lottery, I'll buy a gold one.

With that being said, this may have been one of the funniest things I ever read (by David Petzel in Field & Stream back in 2005):

"By the way, it is a little-known fact that if a small nuclear device were detonated at the SCI convention in Reno, Nevada, the pool of gold from the melted Rolexes would be 52 feet in diameter and 8 feet deep"

Then don’t buy guns or ammo. They do it far worse than the watch manufacturers.
I was in Dallas for the show. I stopped by the Heym booth and asked how long it would take to get an Express in .404 Jeffery. He pulled one out from under the table! Plus, there was no requirement to buy a couple of their other products to get the one I wanted. I didn’t like the wood and didn’t buy it. But it exists. No, I don’t think guns are anywhere near as hard to get as a Rolex

In today's market, purchasing a private Jet has the same rules. You cant sell your position on the waiting list to turn a profit.
Interesting. I’m not sure what the situation is now but a few years ago guys were making a lot of money flipping and selling new boats and selling build spots. I saw build spots sell for 200k over the deposit.

My EDC...

1709489306686.jpeg

Rolex have been aggressively thinning the indirect AD herd (ie private jewelers) recently and those were the guys most heavily engaged in the leveraged sales of watches with the "buy some jewelry and I'll get you a Sub" deals. Bucherer Europe is now owed by Rolex so they can control their sales process and the US Rolex ADs are run much tighter than they were just a few years ago. They keep your request list on file and do have some discretion, no doubt, as any business should. I know my salesperson well and the BS stories she has about people coming in with fake stories saying they have only weeks to live or wanting to get a watch for their dying kid are endless. Rolex have been producing approx 1M watches/year for a long time. It's only recently that they've become such a wildly sought-after item, hence the craziness.

I've love the Submariner that my mom and dad purchased for me brand new in 1987 as my college graduation present for $2,000. (Dad sold tractor parts, Mom made zippers). I've worn it nearly every day for 37 years. I had it appraised last year - $7,000. They paid off my brother's 1980 Buick Regal two years later for the same price. (I still have the watch!)

If I win the lottery, I'll buy a gold one.

With that being said, this may have been one of the funniest things I ever read (by David Petzel in Field & Stream back in 2005):

"By the way, it is a little-known fact that if a small nuclear device were detonated at the SCI convention in Reno, Nevada, the pool of gold from the melted Rolexes would be 52 feet in diameter and 8 feet deep"
Dad gave me $500 cash as a university graduation gift back in 1979. At first I refused to take it (three other brothers with hand out). Then he reminded me the only thing he had put into my education was a couple of unsolicited bags of groceries one month when hay for my horses ran out ("Dad, they put ya in jail for starving livestock ... it's not an offense to starve myself.") Anyway, he was fairly certain none of the other boys would be going to college. I put the money in the bank. It might still be there. I've never been in overdraft that I can remember. He taught me well.

Rolex has to be the stupidest, lamest company I've ever dealt with. I want a specific Rolex for the wife. The conversation has gone like this:

[Big Rolex dealer in Boston] "I can neither confirm nor deny that we have that particular watch in stock," [he actually said that] "You'll have to come to our store in Boston to see if we have it." [WTF? He knows I'm in Louisiana. Okay so I'll try a Rolex dealer in NOLA, one that is part of a network of stores] "Very nice watch. We don't have it and neither do our other stores. we can request one from Rolex, it will take two to three weeks to respond whether they are wiling to make it or not, and if so when they will make it. Probably take four months or so if they decide to make it." [Double WTF. This is a watch Rolex currently lists on their website and they might not make it. That's crazy. And three other dealers essentially said the same thing. Rolex has to be the stupidest, lamest company I've ever dealt with.]

Glad I've never given Rolex any of my money, and never will. Oh, btw, I wear a Garmin Tactix Delta all the time, including when I'm hunting.

What specific watch are you looking for?

I disagree. Go watch a video on their QC and factory. You know what you are getting, a well made tool that simply works. Sound similar to the guns on here we talk about?
Daisy: I don’t think you can compare a ROLEX to a high end firearm and my reasoning is as follows: A high end firearm almost always performs as “good or better” then a cheaper model - the “function” of a high end firearm is equal to it’s “form”. A Rolex is a good timepiece compared to other “mechanical” watches…but it Can’t keep time as “accurately“ as a Timex or Casio or any other cheap “battery operated” Watch. No one buys a Rolex for its time keeping accuracy - it’s for one of several reasons: 1). They appreciate a finely made & hand crafted time piece - the traditional way watches were made for 100s of years. 2). They love the look of the watch, gold, silver, diamonds - like good jewelry. 3). They want EVERYONE to know they have MONEY — “look at my Rolex”.

Casios are known to punch way above their weight. And to be very accurate

I have a gold and stainless Submariner with the blue dial that I bought for myself back in the early 90’s after I had gotten a promotion.
Bottom line, it is a nice piece of jewelry. I wear it when we go out for a nice social event etc. but definitely don’t wear it every day. Most of the time it is in a watch winder case.
I could sell it today for quite a bit more than I bought it for and I will never apologize for any nice piece of jewelry I have.

Thought this was interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheronFosd

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg