Rolex Ad - If You Hunted Big Game The World Over You'd Wear A Rolex

Rolexes are a great investment. If you take good care of them, saving the box and papers, and NOT getting them polished or restored frequently, you or your estate can sell them for greater rate of return than a bond fund.

How many asset classes does anyone own that they can use and enjoy every day?

I bought my first Rolex, a Seadweller, right before Y2K. I think I paid $3800. What's that watch worth today, used? Whats a new replacement cost? Double to triple.

I can't afford to wear a "pretty good" watch whether a $500 seiko, or apple, or $1500 tag, because they are worth almost nothing in the future. It's money spent, gone forever. But a rolex? They've been a great investment I get to enjoy every day. Each kid has their eyes on one of the three in the household so it makes inheritance issues pretty easy to sort out as well. They can always sell it for school or a first home down payment if they don't need to know what time it is.

A watch fit for a Purdey you say? That would be their sister brand, Panerai.

These were the "Purdey Panerai" Editions. They are the size of a volkswagon beetle hubcap if you like to wear big things on your arm:

1645643803794.png

I think I’ll keep using the clock on my phone, and save the money for trophy fees. I found I never needed to know what time it was when I was in Africa after my alarm went off in the morning.

A watch fit for a Purdey you say? That would be their sister brand, Panerai.

These were the "Purdey Panerai" Editions. They are the size of a volkswagon beetle hubcap if you like to wear big things on your arm:

View attachment 454100
Nice! Ebay?

:) As mentioned earlier, I don't wear bling to tell time nor carry bling to shoot. No Purdey-Patek (Filippe) and no Rigby-Rolex. My taste is more Win 70-Casio. Have hunted quite a few places and never felt "under-dressed" :):)

But I do wear Courteneys quite a bit. Not because of fashion but because they provide a perfect break-in fit for my feet, are durable and perfect for certain duties.
IMG_2967.JPG

:) As mentioned earlier, I don't wear bling to tell time nor carry bling to shoot. No Purdey-Patek (Filippe) and no Rigby-Rolex. My taste is more Win 70-Casio. Have hunted quite a few places and never felt "under-dressed" :):)

But I do wear Courteneys quite a bit. Not because of fashion but because they provide a perfect break-in fit for my feet, are durable and perfect for certain duties. View attachment 454170
Yeah, but a pair of Westley Richards shooting socks wouldn't cramp your style much when wearing your Courteneys? Besides, they're warm. It's 2 degrees with a wind chill of -16 here now. Probably the same in Africa in July? Ha! Ha! Ha!

But I do wear Courteneys quite a bit. Not because of fashion but because they provide a perfect break-in fit for my feet, are durable and perfect for certain duties. View attachment 454170

How do you reason that a stainless steel watch is bling?....be it rolex...omega..cartier...etc etc....I don't consider a gold..platinum or white gold ones bling either...just a more expensive version...no different to liking rifles ..shotguns etc that are higher end makes...my sons 18th bday present a stainless steel rolex daytona with ceramic bezel is in the gbp 8000 or plus new range (haven't looked in a bit so could be wrong) but on the 2nd hand market it is pushing gbp 30,000 now...not bad in 4 years...

Yeah, but a pair of Westley Richards shooting socks wouldn't cramp your style much when wearing your Courteneys? Besides, they're warm. It's 2 degrees with a wind chill of -16 here now. Probably the same in Africa in July? Ha! Ha! Ha!
Bling is bling. Brandishing a Rolex or any other rare air brand is a form of testosterone bling… no matter the camouflage:)

And nah, the Courteneys are 100% practical utilitarian in hot dry conditions either here or Africa. For wet soggy or even the 18” of wet snow here right now— no Courteneys!… all utilitarian/ either insulated pacs or rubber bottom, leather top boots.

How do you reason that a stainless steel watch is bling?....be it rolex...omega..cartier...etc etc....I don't consider a gold..platinum or white gold ones bling either...just a more expensive version...no different to liking rifles ..shotguns etc that are higher end makes...my sons 18th bday present a stainless steel rolex daytona with ceramic bezel is in the gbp 8000 or plus new range (haven't looked in a bit so could be wrong) but on the 2nd hand market it is pushing gbp 30,000 now...not bad in 4 years...
I hear you on the huge increase but collectible prices can crash just as fast as they rise. If that was my watch, (I have zero emotional attachment to anything material), I'd sell it now, take the profit and put the original price in to what is now a crashing stock market.

Bling is bling. Brandishing a Rolex or any other rare air brand is a form of testosterone bling… no matter the camouflage:)

And nah, the Courteneys are 100% practical utilitarian in hot dry conditions either here or Africa. For wet soggy or even the 18” of wet snow here right now— no Courteneys!… all utilitarian/ either insulated pacs or rubber bottom, leather top boots.

Depends where you circulate. I've been in rooms trying to network and close deals many times where my rolex is the cheapest timepiece in the room by a tune of about $40,000. I like their utility and that they are an asset...very few watches are assets. But we all have our vices be it guns, cars, boats, fly rods, vintage reels, bench made knives, fine art, books, antiques.

I try to buy nothing junk in my life. I've been too poor for too many years of struggle to make purchase mistakes. If I buy something that wears out in 3 years, even for $30, I anguish over it. It felt mighty good when we had a real-life tragedy of a sick child and I just reached over to my shelves and decided to sell some "toys" that allowed me to take a nearly two year leave of absence without income, plus cover an expensive monthly burn rate, plus cover six figure specialized medical care for a critically ill child. I sold 6 or 8 rolexes at that time....the profits made my nut for quite a while. So did the boss, purdey, westley, and other guns that I sold back 8 years ago.

Don't buy depreciating goods. You can overspend and splurge if its liquid and you can recapture the money in an emergency. A timex doesn't do that, its just $50 you never see again.

I hear you on the huge increase but collectible prices can crash just as fast as they rise. If that was my watch, (I have zero emotional attachment to anything material), I'd sell it now, take the profit and put the original price in to what is now a crashing stock market.

3 plus year waiting list..and it was his 18th birthday present....so not about the money....his 21st was a limited edition patek phillipe....special edition of one of the patek watches for friends family jewellery shop, to celebrate their 50th anniversary selling pateks..one of 14 ...same place got his rolex from....depends if you like the "things"...with my 25th anniversary countach the London dealer...only one back in those days gave a letter when it was registered to give to the insurance company valuing it at gbp 250,000....which was well over twice the price ... that was back in 1989 at height of the super car boom back then...didn't sell it as I love driving cars...ended up selling it as I preferred my countach QV....so yeah all depends on how you look at it and feel about things... :D Beers:

Sorry but I think you talking bullshit...I like watches...guns and cars...so do friends of mine...more so on watches and cars with them as not into shooting...nothing to do with testosterone....find that bit of a pathetic comment....have usually found those type of comments involve a portion of jealousy :E Shrug:

Sorry but I think you talking bullshit...I like watches...guns and cars...so do friends of mine...more so on watches and cars with them as not into shooting...nothing to do with testosterone....find that bit of a pathetic comment....have usually found those type of comments involve a portion of jealousy :E Shrug:
I agree @spike.t . In Chicago there is a famous second hand watch dealer named Howard Frum. He had a pile of cash and in the market crash of 1987 he put a flyer on every car (traders and brokers) parked in the Chicago Board of Trade and Chicago Mercantile Exchange parking lot that he buys Rolexes. He bought hundreds that month. They bounced back in value within a few weeks and he literally made millions

A watch is no more or less credible than an equity, just different asset classes. With a Rolex, you get to wear your investment, something I’ve yet to figure out how to do with stock shares.

I agree @spike.t . In Chicago there is a famous second hand watch dealer named Howard Frum. He had a pile of cash and in the market crash of 1987 he put a flyer on every car (traders and brokers) parked in the Chicago Board of Trade and Chicago Mercantile Exchange parking lot that he buys Rolexes. He bought hundreds that month. They bounced back in value within a few weeks and he literally made millions

A watch is no more or less credible than an equity, just different asset classes. With a Rolex, you get to wear your investment, something I’ve yet to figure out how to do with stock shares.
I call anecdotal BS on that. I was around in '87 and NOTHING bounced back in a few weeks. Everyone was too busy licking their financial wounds to go out and buy a Rolex.

I call anecdotal BS on that. I was around in '87 and NOTHING bounced back in a few weeks. Everyone was too busy licking their financial wounds to go out and buy a Rolex.

When you sell on emotion, absolutely. You have to remember at the time there was no eBay or set market rate for what a <10 year old stainless sub sold for. Broker/dealers were selling their Porsches for Pennys on the dollars too. Within a couple days to weeks the sell-off insanity to cover margin accounts was done.

Give a google about the guy, Howard Frum, rolex dealer to the stars.

When you sell on emotion, absolutely. You have to remember at the time there was no eBay or set market rate for what a <10 year old stainless sub sold for. Broker/dealers were selling their Porsches for Pennys on the dollars too. Within a couple days to weeks the sell-off insanity to cover margin accounts was done.

Give a google about the guy, Howard Frum, rolex dealer to the stars.
By the time they finished covering their margin accounts, they didn't have enough money to buy a Casio let alone a Rolex from Frum.

By the time they finished covering their margin accounts, they didn't have enough money to buy a Casio let alone a Rolex from Frum.

I think we are speaking past each other. I didn’t infer the buyer and seller are the same person, that would be a pawn loan. Folks at CBOT and CME were the sellers, the general public were the buyers.

While nowhere near as sophisticated, I sorta did the same thing in 2008. I was buying stainless sport models for 17%-22.5% off from an AD because the sky was falling. Sold them all at or above MSRP a year or two later.

The only thing I have left is my old blue two tone and the hulk, the mrs wears a boy’s size oyster date.

Lets get back to beautiful time pieces for what they are. My wife has a Cartier Ballon Bleu automatic. It is quite literally a work of art, a pleasure to look at and to hold. That is no way bling, it is sheer pleasure to behold. I don't wear my Rolex to feel superior or fancy, I wear ir for the same reason I drive a 1954 Land Rover - it just makes me happy. Period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?