Rolex Ad - If You Hunted Big Game The World Over You'd Wear A Rolex

Dang now I gotta buy a Rolex?!?! This forum has been expensive for me lol
Just buy one from a street vendor in JNB. I hear they get a discount from Rolex and pass it on to their customers?

I can appreciate Rolex as a quality brand, but it's not for me. My wife and I prefer Omega. Both brands make great watches.

The Rolex ad is awesome. Speaks to a special time in advertising.

Remember John Cameron Swayze? "Timex. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking".

The famous ice cube test and only fifteen bucks!

Remember John Cameron Swayze? "Timex. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking".

The famous ice cube test and only fifteen bucks!

Let's see a Rolex survive that! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Now there has to be a similar Marlboro ad out there from the same era!

A good friend of mine (a hunting buddy) is in advertising/designing. He is a very smart guy, I get glimpses into the machinations of figuring out how to sell a product. I am amazed when an add or add campaign can be so spot on to my own interests. Then I think about my buddy and his work in studying people.

Rolex wouldn’t run this add today. Just like Leica is moving away from photos involving dead animals. If they could without mainstream blowback, they would.

Now there has to be a similar Marlboro ad out there from the same era!
Close enough?
1645498440712.png

I'm with John Candy on this. I'll wear my quartz analog Casio when I need to, not worry about it and not look back. Oh and I don't wear bling :)
This is the smartest thing to do.

Just buy one from a street vendor in JNB. I hear they get a discount from Rolex and pass it on to their customers?

Those special prices travel across the pond to New York where the vendors in Battery Park can get you a deal

Seriously though I own over a dozen automatics and my first few were Rolex. My first was a gift from my father who had purchased the President the year I was born and he gave it to me on my 25th Birthday. Since then I’ve added the Submariner and Yachtmaster to my collection and have enjoyed them. Lately I have been on the IWC kick and find them to be incredible time pieces.

HH

I have a Rolex submariner

It is blisteringly accurate twice a day

Other than that - not so much

My wife has a Rolex too - just back from a service @ $2500 and equally as accurate at keeping time !

Those in Jamaica offer the same discount.

Rolex is a great "brand" but by no means the best, kinda overrated IMO. They do hold their value better than about anything else but that's all brand and perception.

I purchased an Omega Speedmaster 25 years ago when I could finally afford one. It’s been with me on every adventurer through winter, rain, stumbles on trout streams, crawling up rock piles for the best shot etc.!!(still looks brand new) Later, when I could afford a Rolex, I passed - not wanting to retire my trusted timepiece.

One of the funniest:

by David Petzal - Field & Stream, December 2005

The paragraph in parentheses that begins near the top of page 123.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 10.11.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 10.11.53 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 10.12.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 10.12.00 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
I wear the Sub when I free dive up to 300m.

I put on the Sea-Dweller for daytime swordfish spear fishing, then I'm good to 1,200m!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?