REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO: Bongo In The Congo

1696957580288.png

We had a big lone silverback at one camera that I saw 2 times. We also saw one on the road didn’t get a good enough picture of him to post.

The gorillas in this area are the lowland variety. I saw them 3 of the 5 encounters that the pygmies had visuals on them.
We left camp at 3:30 and headed back. A bout half way there I heard a soft "pop" sound and a small bump. C immediately stopped the truck and said snake! By the time I got around to the back of the truck the snake was minus its head. It was a horned viper and was about 3-3.5 ft long. Pretty stout diameter. This was the only snake that I saw in 14 days. The day I arrived the pygmies killed a 13 ft long Boa constricter that weighed over 120 lbs. They ate both snakes. C and I were later told that the viper was eaten by 7 pm that night. C says they 3-5 a season so not a lot in this particular area.
A couple of miles from the machan we came around a corner and some gorillas screamed at us. Apparently we surprised them as we came around the corner and they were just out of sight off of the road. This happened 3 different times during my 2 weeks there. This was the loudest. C thought that they may of been heading to a small salt lick on the shoulder of the road.
That night in the machan was again a quiet one. We had a female sitatunga with a very small calf come in and feed for quite a while. C said my snoring didn't seem to bother her at all. I was awake at 5 and watched the sun come up as I had my morning prayers and a breakfast. While at the truck waiting on the trackers to finish bringing up cots and chairs we heard elephants breaking trees while feeding. Close by us.
We checked the other bye and found nothing there, Headed back towards camp and pulled a few more cards from cameras. Found a good picture of a Sitatunga bull that was a couple of days old. Back for lunch and a nap. Then back out around 3:30 to a new machan.
Had a few more mosquitos around. For the most part there I didn't have too much trouble with mosquitos. This particular machan had more around it. The wind was good and we had another night where I wasn't woke up to shoot anything. In the morning C was rather pissed. Apparently during the night a good Sitatunga bull had walked through the clearing. Never stopped for the salt. Not in a hurry but didn't stop. I'd of had to of been up and on the gun to of had a shot..... Also a porcupine came through
We ran to around 6 cameras and pulled cards. No Bongo. Gorillas, GF hogs and a few buffalo. No tracks along the road either. Just need a good heavy rain to get things moving. On the way back to camp we stopped and took pics of some coca beans drying as well as the trees they come from. Had no clue coca bean pods can grow from the trunk of their trees Pics to follow.
Bruce

IMG_3380.jpeg

Note the yellow seed pods on the ground. These are ripe and have been picked. They then split the pod with a machete. Then they scoop out the beans and put them in a basket to go back to their home.
IMG_3379.jpeg

Unless I’m mistaken the locals clear out the trees and then plant the cocoa trees. They do the same with bananas. Then the trees seem to be on their own. I don’t think they weed them or do a lot of caring for them.
Bruce

We are going back to the machan that we sat in the first night. We have a broken horn Sitatunga on camera there. C says that there has been 2 additional Sitatungas on camera there in the last couple of weeks. We leave camp slightly later than normal and find a large tree across the road. Probably pushing 2 ft in diameter. So they break out the chain saw and get to work. Almost an hour to clear the road enough for us to get through.
We get to the machan and the wind is right. Great news. We eat our normal baguette dinner and settle in. The frogs, insects and birds are so loud. At 7:30 which is an hour after dark I see the lights on the motion sensor go off. I quietly pick up the rifle and turn on the Pulsar thermal attachment and start to look for an animal. C quietly tells me its a Sitatunga and asks if I can see him. I locate him and reply yes to C. I turn up the magnification slightly and can see a large Sitatunga drinking the salt water. He is facing directly to me. I have my arms and rifle braced rock solid. The crosshair is centered between his horns between his shoulders. C whispers, "wait for him to turn". I wait and wait and wait for seemed like an eternity, but was probably less than 2 min. C repeated again to wait for him to turn. My finger is on the trigger and I have probably 1 lb of pressure on in. I'm chanting in my mind, squeeze the trigger. Don't jerk the trigger.
Finally his head comes up and he steps back. He turns so he is quartering to me. I complete the trigger squeeze. Boom and he goes down where he stands. I immediately chamber another round and get back on him. He is laying still on the ground...... I have my Sitatunga!!!!!!!
We put our shoes on ad head down to check him out. On the way C shows me a trail cam picture and says I think this is the one we just killed. It's the big one that Perry had been chasing. In fact they later told me that they had been hunting this particular animal for 3 years. Last year the other PH and part owner sat for him for 40 nights. When we get close he moves and C says immediately to shoot him again. Apparently they had one get up last year and disappear never to be seen again. I shoot him in the chest and finish him.
He wasn't going anywhere as my first shot entered just in front of the shoulder and traveled lengthwise. I can only think of 3 other animals I have killed in the last 10 years that have had me as excited as this one. We loaded him up and headed back. The pygmies sang as we traveled. Truly a surreal moment. I'll show some pics of my trophy.
Bruce

Congratulations!
Thanks my friend.
Just a note. Pre-op is tomorrow so I have 9 hrs of travel tomorrow so no more report untill at least Thur.
Bruce

Congratulations on a wonderful animal.

Congratulations! That is a Sitatunga of many lifetimes, a truly spectacular animal.

Absolutely gorgeous sitatunga specimen and spectacular hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NolanMesse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?