REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO: Bongo In The Congo

If Christophe is not willing to hunt an area the poaching is bad.
Enjoy the challenge you are embarking upon Bruce!

My best good luck to you!

ps. Stay off the ponies and ice on this one.

Looking forward to more!

Agree about Addis, its a train wreck in there!

An exciting adventure for sure! Keep it coming Bruce

There is some internet some of the time. This will be a lot better with pictures. Don’t think I can send those at this point but I’ll try.
Driver was on time but was 5:30 before we left after loading supplies. 11 1/2 hrs. Christophe says it’s 985 km from Brazzaville to camp. So roughly 600 miles. Speeds as high as 85 mph. Some things I noticed as we traveled:
Bush meat trade is still happening here. Saw a whole Bushbuck, hind quarter, cane rat and duiker for sale at different points along the highway. One at a toll booth. Not regulated
Roadside food/necessities are available roadside even in Africa. I saw charcoal, wood, yams, bananas and vegetables as well as cooked food along side the road. In and out of town. Usually sitting on the top of barrels.
The lack of cows was astonishing. Saw 1 in 3 hrs travel. Then a cattle ranch and then very few until almost to camp.
Very few dogs and no cat’s first 6 hrs. More dogs around out in the country.
No goats until a long ways out of Brazzaville. Has me puzzled. Everything is green with lots of grazing. Still haven’t seen a sheep yet.
I still hate speed bumps. Plenty along the way.
Roads seem to get very little maintenance. Chuck holes are common.
Camp is on the bank of Njoko river with Cameron on the other side. Beautiful camp. Apparently they abandoned some “camps” they hunted due to the elephant poaching. Same lodge just a different area. Poachers besides being potentially dangerous also tend to displace the shy Bongo and Sitatunga . Renders the area useless for their purposes.
We will use 2 main hunting methods. First is sitting in a machan. The only one I’ve been in so far is about 20 ft up and around 18X25 feet in size. We literally sleep in them in cots. He has motion sensors rigged to wake him when something comes to the salted water. Then with a thermal attached to the scope you can shoot if an opportunity arises. Get in them around 5 pm and stay till 6 am Or maybe later.
The second is tracking and dogs. I found out today that the dogs do no tracking. Only sight and sound. We had 5 pigmies and 6 dogs out today.
The first thing is to find a fresh track. Then play follow the leader through the jungle. The pigmies do the tracking and they are very good at it. When they loose the track they spread out to find it. Everybody but me has a machete to cut a path. This stuff ranges from just thick to really thick. You follow the Bongo to his bed and jump him hopefully within sight/sound of at least 1 dog. Then they bay the Bongo hopefully until the hunter arrives to make a shot.
Bruce

Thanks so much for posting this. I’m very interested as I’ll be hunting with Christophe 2 years from now. Bon Chase!

Seems we've hit a no signal zone ;). Best of luck out there- waiting for your return and the tales of a glorious hunt !

I have been in contact with Bruce, he is hunting hard and will have a story. But it is his story to tell...he doesn't have enough signal to post on here unfortunately. But will let him know you guys are waiting his return, lol.

Hope he has some luck. They’ve been having a tuff go this year. Their hunter prior went 2x this season, spring and then this past 2 weeks, trying to get his bongo with no success. It’s a hunt a really want to do.

Hope he has some luck. They’ve been having a tuff go this year. Their hunter prior went 2x this season, spring and then this past 2 weeks, trying to get his bongo with no success. It’s a hunt a really want to do.
Perry battled it out till the end…

Go look at his Instagram…. Might be a sneak peak at what our friend here has done in the jungle already…. Should be a fun report once he gets service!

I think I saw a FB post from Christophe that has some real story potential......

Well, that’s alright by me, yeah
I'm a tiger when I want love
I'm a snake when we disagree

If ya gotta ask, just keep moving. Nothin’ to see here folks. Nuthin’ to see.
One of my seven year olds favourite songs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kate368999

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]