REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO: Bongo In The Congo

Curious about the photos of the truck stuck. What’s with the shovel? There’s a winch on the front bumper, why not use it?

He used the winch. Issue was the tree’s we attached to were all to the left hand side. When he retrieved the cable it balled up on the left hand side of the spool and it jammed it…. So he couldn’t get it to continue to work. Locked up tight. Camp was around 15 miles away. Long walk back to get another vehicle. So they used the little jack and the shovels….. The high rise jack was at camp….
Bruce

IMG_3201.jpeg

This is one of the machans that we stayed in. All were pretty similar.
Bruce

Keep it coming please very interesting.

This has been a very interesting report so far. Thanks very much for sharing, and especially the pictures too!

Following! Can’t imagine how awesome that would be to sleep in the machan and then dreaming of bongo! You are living the dream!

Excellent report so far. Thanks for taking us along your Congo hunting trip. Not everyone is so fortunate to get to see Congo.

View attachment 562636
This is the first tree down on the road.
Bruce
Brings back memories. Lots of downed trees, rain, heat and humidity. However, where I hunted in eastern CAR, there was much less clay as the predominant rock there is lava. We didn’t get stuck. Fingers crossed for your success!

I hunted the rainforest in Cameroon 2x, both back around 1998/2000. Your description of the heat, humidity, and thickness of the jungle is oppressive. For some silly reason, I always thought of going back a 3rd time. Thankfully, I did get mine on the 2nd trip. Beautiful animals. Thank you Bruce for bringing back some beautiful memories!

Wow, what an amazing trip! What kind of dangerous critters did you encounter? How bad were the mosquitos?

I've hunted in the triple canopy jungles of the Atlantic coast of Nicaragua, and I can relate to that, the heat, humidity, no air circulation, just sucks to walk in. Also, everywhere you turn, there is something that wants to bite you, suck blood from you, or just flat out kill you. It seems that if it rained or not, we were always wet, from the humidity, rain or from sweating. :ROFLMAO: We had indigenous people who we used as guides/trackers, and their knowledge of the jungle and eyes were priceless.

Please keep it coming.

Breakfast was simple. Juice and a banana along with a yogurt was common. C had coffee. As soon as we finished breakfast C went to get the truck and the trackers. We picked up and headed to check trail cameras on salt again. One of the cameras had a Giant Forrest hog boar on it. Not on Quota but they take a couple a year to eat. Last year 2 that snares on their legs. This one was a tank.
Nothing else of interest so back to camp at about 10. Shower, lunch and then a nap before heading out at 3 PM. We were going to one of the machans further out. 1 1/2 hrs drive to get to it. At the machan we had some light rain but again a quiet night. The wind was wrong so that didn't help any. The motion sensors detected a bat and a cane rat.
We left the macahan pretty early with the wind being wrong. Close to 5:30 so right at first light. As we drove along the road the pygmies rapped on the cab. So we stopped. There was a bongo track along the road. How they see anything at 25 mph is beyond me.... After appraising the track it was determined to likely be a bull and one we should follow.
While following a track 4 of the pygmies would be in the front, then C, then me and finally the last pygmy carrying the rifle. All had machetes and cut a path through the jungle as they followed the tracks. C showed me where the bull had fed. The idea is to follow until the bongo is jumped and the dogs either see or hear him and bring him to bay so we can get a shot. It seems 1-3 hrs is fairly common to get an opportunity. This bongo led us on a merry chase.
He went through a opening in the forest that was previously unknown and may have a machan come next year. Trying to follow is interesting. We started at 7:30. C called it a gift to get that early of a start while it was cool. The jungle seems to actively oppose your progress. Didn't matter how many machete strokes were taken there were always vines that reached out to try and trip you. They have short spines that grab at you as you try to pass. I swear every time I stepped over a fallen log and put mu hand out to brace myself on something it had spines. About 2 1/2 hrs into our trailing a sound was heard in the forest. C told the pygmies to go ahead. Apparently it was a mongoose and they wanted to kill it to eat later. They got it and 10 minutes later we were back on the trail.
This bongo went everywhere. He went into a small stream and walked up it for 150 feet. At first I could go about 1 hr before I needed a break. Eventually it got to every 1/2 hour. At 4 1/2 hours into the chase C came to me and said he could see that I was tiring and maybe it was time to quit the track. I told him I could go another hour and maybe more. Not to stop on my account, so on we went. Up and down through thick areas and then some more open. Visability ranged from less than 5 yds to maybe 25 yds.
At 5 hrs into the chase C said we were done. He believed that the bull had either smelled us or heard us and never bedded. He was staying far enough ahead that the dogs never heard or saw him. I was whipped. By the time we got to the road I just found a place to lay down while waiting for the car. My shirt was so wet it looked like I had gone swimming in it. My pants were almost as bad. I was a hurting exhausted pup at that point. As well as disappointed...... But thats hunting.
Back to the lodge and a shower. After the shower a nap was in order. It was then that the cramps/charlie horses started........ I started on eating as much coarse table salt as I could. We went back out at 4 and C bought some bananas from one of the local farmers for me. We checked a couple of trail cameras and put some fresh salt in a couple of the ponds. Cameras had gorillas on them. We saw a yellow back duiker track at one as well as a bongo track. Too late to try the track. Then back to camp. Did see a mongoose cross the road. They appear to be the long nosed mongoose.
Had a nice meal and off to bed. I had cramps till close to midnight. Not a restful nights sleep......
Bruce

Next morning we were up at 4:30 and left by 5:30 after breakfast. We again were going to one the further away from camp. On the way we find where elephants have been feeding near the road. Can smell them. We check 2 different byes for tracks and the game cameras. The first one has a machan at it and is about a 15 minute walk from the truck. When we stop there are red tailed monkeys in the trees overhead. Bongo tracks and images on the camera. There is a bull on cameras that has C's interest. He has planned to stay the night here so motion sensors are deployed. Cots and chairs are set up and the the machan is given an initial spray for bugs.
On to the next place. Larger bye. C thinks this is one of the prettiest places in the jungle. I have to agree with him. There is a stream of ants across the trail. Even moving quickly I pick up one and get bitten. Ornery little buggers. Every ant there bites. I probably saw 5 different kinds.
The camera at this bye shows dwarf forest buffalo, gorilla and duiker on camera. No bongo. On the walk back I stopped for a picture by one of the large trees in the area. Back to camp for lunch and a quick nap.
Bruce

Next morning we were up at 4:30 and left by 5:30 after breakfast. We again were going to one the further away from camp. On the way we find where elephants have been feeding near the road. Can smell them. We check 2 different byes for tracks and the game cameras. The first one has a machan at it and is about a 15 minute walk from the truck. When we stop there are red tailed monkeys in the trees overhead. Bongo tracks and images on the camera. There is a bull on cameras that has C's interest. He has planned to stay the night here so motion sensors are deployed. Cots and chairs are set up and the the machan is given an initial spray for bugs.
On to the next place. Larger bye. C thinks this is one of the prettiest places in the jungle. I have to agree with him. There is a stream of ants across the trail. Even moving quickly I pick up one and get bitten. Ornery little buggers. Every ant there bites. I probably saw 5 different kinds.
The camera at this bye shows dwarf forest buffalo, gorilla and duiker on camera. No bongo. On the walk back I stopped for a picture by one of the large trees in the area. Back to camp for lunch and a quick nap.
Bruce
This is such a cool adventure, can you send some of the trail cam photos of the Gorillas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eggheadmarketers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]