Recommended dangerous game bullets and cartridges?

Here is a picture of a 480 grain .458 Hornady DGX Bonded that completely failed on a cape buffalo.
View attachment 628848
That bullet is not bonded, there is zero lead adhering to the copper jacket. Either it is an unbonded soft ie cup and core or it is failed QC at Hornady. I suspect it is a simple cup and core bullet, probably designed for 45-70 or maybe the old unbonded DGX.

I bought some of the original Hornady DGS and DGX for my 416Rigby. I only used the DGX on a pig and it worked. However the rest were all pulled or fired at paper. The reason was they did not shoot in my rifle. Large group and at different point of impact. My CZ 550 puts Woodleigh 41o grain Soft Points and 400 grain Hydros to the same point and if I do my job group small than 1" at 100mts.

The only reason I mention this, along with the negatives others have found, is that they appear to be a non consistent performer, so would advise against using them in case you get a batch that don't do the job. If you buy a batch and test it and they work then fill your boots.

Do I have a set against Hornady, NO. I have some Hornady dies, I use Hornady bullets in my 270, 223, several 358Cals and these are very accurate and work well.

That bullet is not bonded, there is zero lead adhering to the copper jacket. Either it is an unbonded soft ie cup and core or it is failed QC at Hornady. I suspect it is a simple cup and core bullet, probably designed for 45-70 or maybe the old unbonded DGX.
My thoughts as well. It has the exact remnant look of every non bonded bullet fragments I've pulled.

@ActionBob was this yours that you bought as new Bonded?

My thoughts as well. It has the exact remnant look of every non bonded bullet fragments I've pulled.

@ActionBob was this yours that you bought as new Bonded?
Yes, I bought 5 boxes January 2nd, 2022 from Midway USA. Only loaded 17 of them out of that box. Also loaded 7 solids. Shot 2 DGX Bonded and 2 DGS just before leaving home and took the rest on that hunt.

Certainly looks like either a quality control issue at Hornady. Or they outright sold the old DGX as new DGX Bonded. Steve Hornady is on TV stating that the only reason they brought out a bonded DGX bullet was because some of their customers wanted it. But then adds that there is no reason for it as there is nothing wrong with the standard DGX.... With that type of leadership attitude, I could see why employees would not worry too much about getting them mixed up.
20240824_094514.jpg
20240824_094545.jpg

Yes, I bought 5 boxes January 2nd, 2022 from Midway USA. Only loaded 17 of them out of that box. Also loaded 7 solids. Shot 2 DGX Bonded and 2 DGS just before leaving home and took the rest on that hunt.

Certainly looks like either a quality control issue at Hornady. Or they outright sold the old DGX as new DGX Bonded. Steve Hornady is on TV stating that the only reason they brought out a bonded DGX bullet was because some of their customers wanted it. But then adds that there is no reason for it as there is nothing wrong with the standard DGX.... With that type of leadership attitude, I could see why employees would not worry too much about getting them mixed up. View attachment 628959View attachment 628960
Certainly unsettling! I would bet that entire box and lot may have been the old bonded.

Certainly unsettling! I would bet that entire box and lot may have been the old bonded.
Hard to say as I only have the one recovered bullet at this point. Several possibilities, non of which leads to confidence using these bullets.

I really wanted to stick with the 480 grain that my 1913 William Evans hammer double was originally related with. So I need to find another bullet or just switch to 500 grain A-frames. Sire wishing I had loaded A-Frames for that hunt but my load info preferred 480 grain bullets. I have also got some load data for I believe 465 grain bullets....

It's a fun rifle but challenging to use. Always a little ticklish lowering the hammers;)

Auto correct...should have read old "non-bonded"

It's a fun rifle but challenging to use. Always a little ticklish lowering the hammers;)
I'm betting you make sure your thumbs are extra dry when you do... :ROFLMAO:

Does anyone know the process of how the cores are bonded to the jackets in any of the premium bonded bullets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanteWakeh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!