Recommended dangerous game bullets and cartridges?

Generally speaking, monolithic copper bullets have the best terminal results when used at higher impact speeds. With standard short action cartridges I would recommend stepping down in bullet weight. We typically use 130 or 150 TTSX’s for 308’s. I will also typically try to shoot both shoulders with them as well.

Philip, would you use an Accubond on a Dagga boy?
It would be fine. They are basically the same as the A Frame. I am unlikely to divert from TSX personally. I have seen so much success with them in so many calibers and situations.

Based strictly upon the cartridges which are available on the current market for the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.
IMG_1524.jpeg

Barnes TSX factory loads work very well for Cape buffalo & hippopotamus (see photo above). And also thick framed plains game.

Federal Power Shok factory load works very well for lion & leopard.

For elephant or rhinoceros hunting, I highly recommend you to have Hendershots Custom Loaders in the United States load you some Cutting Edge Bullets monolithic brass Safari Solids.

Well I’m going to ZiM with my 375 H&H with 300gr TBBC and Hammerheads and a 458 WinMag in Hornady 500gr DGS and DGX…
So again to the OP I believe the best out there that you can look into is the -

Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Hammerheads
Hornady DGX Bonded and DXS
Cutting Edge (CE) Solids and Raptors
What is a hammerhead bullet?

Attachments

Sako has hammerhead bullet, but it is not DG bullet...

So, it seams Swift-A-Frames are problematic to find on the market. :cry:

Gents, help me to compose the list of high quality premium game bullets acceptable (better say recommended) for dangerous game, solids and softs?

Feel free to recommend!

How does Hornady DGS and DGX stand with reputation?
My most recent trip I used DGX 300 grain in my 375 and took a giraffe, Cape buffalo, wildebeest and eland all with one shot each. People may hate on them but I’m a firm believer in they work. I’ll be posting a review of my safari soon and I have pictures of the recovered bullets. Shot placement is a key component along with your bullet selection.

Barnes and North Fork,.....until woodleigh is back. Someone needs to buy up Swift and move the company and actually hire some people to build bullets. They are already overpriced but I'm sure they could charge even more.

My experience with my own handloads in 375 H&H .....
Best accuracy found with Barnes TSX ( 270 and 300 gn ), North Fork SS and Cup Point Solid 300 gn, Woodleigh Weldcore RN SN 300 gn.
Least accurate was Hornady DGX 300 gn ( I think non-bonded model when I had them ). By least accurate I mean not grouping as well as the above but still adequate for 50 to 100 yds shots. Inquisitive about the poorer accuracy I individually weighed some bullets once. Barnes, North Fork, Woodleigh all fell within tight tolerance. The Hornady DGX showed quite a bit of variability by comparison. I'm not sure that explains everything but was an interesting discovery.
I have conversed on best bullet choices for African game with only a couple of guys who are vastly more "Africa" experienced than I and whom I think offer qualified opinions. Both spoke highly of Swift A Frame, Barnes TSX, Woodleigh and one added CEB Raptor to the list. Neither thought Hornady DGX cut the mustard but both thought smaller calibre Hornadys were OK.
Personally I mostly shoot TSX 300 gn and some 300 gn North Fork in my 375 H&H and enjoyed great performance from both. Currently I am building a small supply of CEB Raptor 275 gn to begin tyring at some stage.

I bought a trial pack of 307 gr 404J last year from Hammer in Missoula, MT. I couldn't get the right powder to work up a load. Anyone else tried their bullets? They make quite a variety.

Here is a picture of a 480 grain .458 Hornady DGX Bonded that completely failed on a cape buffalo.
IMG-20240722-WA0002.jpg

Here is a picture of a 480 grain .458 Hornady DGX Bonded that completely failed on a cape buffalo.
Recovered bullet suggests other bullets did not fail!
How did it go?

View attachment 628848
That’s what PHs showed me on my recent hunt. They said good for broadside shots but outside that was problematic. I am surprised with 458 and 480 gr though. We heard a couple shots in the distance then the PHs shot (different sound) then no more. The joke was hornady bullets followed up with federal or Barnes.

I bought a trial pack of 307 gr 404J last year from Hammer in Missoula, MT. I couldn't get the right powder to work up a load. Anyone else tried their bullets? They make quite a variety.

Ron Spomer is quite a fan I believe of the medium game calibres. Not sure if he has used any on DG but IIRC he might have mentioned in one of his videos or podcasts that he was going to. I'm sure you could find some of his videos with a search.
Here in New Zealand on one of our good sites I read good thing about Hammers in small to medium game calibres. They seem much more destructive on internal tissue compared to cup & core bullets of identical weight. Basically, if you want them here you have to order and import yourself from Hammer. They work out quite spendy ( due to our weak dollar ) but some guys combine orders and have them sent in one shipment. I'm not sure if Hammer makes them available to our trade industry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefty Outdoor

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!