AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA and RSA
Hey all. Headed to Limpopo next June. Plains game of standard varieties is on the table. Probably your typical, Impala, warthog, kudu, zebra, blue wildebeest etc.

Weighing the pluses and minus of dip and pack then mount here in the states, (usda approved taxidermist just an hour away) vs having taxidermy done in RSA and shipped home. I’m trying to get a good feel for taxidermists I should look into in RSA and if anyone wants to PM me costs I’d be very interested too.

I know people are pretty split on taxi work done in the states vs RSA and im still debating that but I’d like a full picture before I make that decision.

I’m in the have it done in USA camp, but I’ll give you a question to ask your taxidermist here. Ask them how long the tannery is estimated to take. The tanning times have gotten a lot longer since 2020. That could be a big plus to having them done in South Africa vs here.

I just Like the control of having my hides and horns back in the states.I can get them mounted as I like or Mayby just euro some others. I will say this that short video from Splitting Image taxidermy was very interesting. I forget his name but they seem to put out a nice product and run it like a business. Whatever you do communication is the name of the game,

Bullseye in Limpopo does excellent work. They also communicate well and their turn time has been 6-8 months every time I’ve used them (4x times)…

See who your outfitter recommends in South Africa and contact them and see how you feel about them. If you can see if you can take a small excursion to their shop one day while you are hunting, then take a look at their work.

I had my last hunt done in South Africa and their work was great. My local taxidermist here in the US was 15 months out once he received the dip and pack, plus he almost doubled his prices, so right now instead of having my mounts on the wall I would still be waiting close to another year.

As for a euro, just have them done in South Africa, they have to be cleaned there to ship here to the US anyway so you might as well as have them do all the work on them.

My shipping wasn't that bad either considering that I had 3 shoulder mounts and 5 euros done.

I used Amara Taxidermy in Thabazimbi Limpopo but I haven't seen it in person yet, probably be a couple more weeks before my crate arrives so I'm not totally sure about the quality. The pictures the owner sent me of the shoulder mounted wart hog look pretty good to me, the other animals I had euros and tanned hides done. I'll try to find a picture of the shoulder mount and post it.

Screenshot_20230627-210722.png
Kinda funny angle but here's the wart hog from Amara.

Hey all. Headed to Limpopo next June. Plains game of standard varieties is on the table. Probably your typical, Impala, warthog, kudu, zebra, blue wildebeest etc.

Weighing the pluses and minus of dip and pack then mount here in the states, (usda approved taxidermist just an hour away) vs having taxidermy done in RSA and shipped home. I’m trying to get a good feel for taxidermists I should look into in RSA and if anyone wants to PM me costs I’d be very interested too.

I know people are pretty split on taxi work done in the states vs RSA and im still debating that but I’d like a full picture before I make that decision.
I had my taxidermy done by Karoo Taxidermy in RSA. VERY pleased with their work, communication and overall superb customer service.

Another vote for Bullseye. Excellent work and told me 9 months, they were here in 8 months. Five mounts, back skins and zebra rug. Check with your US taxidermist about form availability, experience with the game and turn around time. I would have no more than two done now if I had them done locally stateside and it’s been 2 years.

I hunted in Limpopo in 2014. I was planning on bringing my articles for taxidermy back to the states, but a slick presentation and a "we can't guarantee that the dip/pack will successfully make it back to the states" line convinced me to have it done in S.A.

All I can say is...................NEVER AGAIN!!!! While I'm sure that there are good taxidermists in S.A., mine came back in poor condition (considering what I payed). There were maggots in my kudu horns, the crate was thin plywood that was little better than cardboard, and looked like it had been constructed by a 5 year old, and came back damaged (as well as the kudu skull mount). My wildebeast looked as if it had been skinned by someone who was having an epileptic seizure there were so many nicks in it........if it even IS my wildebeast..........the photos I took shortly after I shot it and what I have on the wall are somewhat dissimilar. The company that did my work came HIGHLY recommended by my outfitter; I will never use them again. If you have issues, you have NO recourse or legal standing to get your money back.

If I ever do go back to Africa and decide to have taxidermy done, it will be dip/packed by a reputable company and done here in the states.

2 times dip and pack with trophy solutions in polokwane . GREAT SERVICE AND THey ship in just over 90 days. Easy communication and nice people. I’m dealing with another outfit right now in SA AND I HAVE BEEN WAITING 8 months and they still haven’t shipped. Get your stuff back to American taxidermist where you have more control.
Have fun on your trip and don’t worry about your trophy’s getting done correctly!

Last edited:
Bullseye was great to deal with. I’ll post pictures when they get here and everything is finalized. Crates are in transit now…

Some pictures from Bullseye are in my media here too…My 3 previous Africa trips I had dip and pack then shipped to me. Then my taxidermist has it in the freezer for 5 years! Because he is too busy…

I hunted in Limpopo in 2014. I was planning on bringing my articles for taxidermy back to the states, but a slick presentation and a "we can't guarantee that the dip/pack will successfully make it back to the states" line convinced me to have it done in S.A.

All I can say is...................NEVER AGAIN!!!! While I'm sure that there are good taxidermists in S.A., mine came back in poor condition (considering what I payed). There were maggots in my kudu horns, the crate was thin plywood that was little better than cardboard, and looked like it had been constructed by a 5 year old, and came back damaged (as well as the kudu skull mount). My wildebeast looked as if it had been skinned by someone who was having an epileptic seizure there were so many nicks in it........if it even IS my wildebeast..........the photos I took shortly after I shot it and what I have on the wall are somewhat dissimilar. The company that did my work came HIGHLY recommended by my outfitter; I will never use them again. If you have issues, you have NO recourse or legal standing to get your money back.

If I ever do go back to Africa and decide to have taxidermy done, it will be dip/packed by a reputable company and done here in the states.
Sounds like most of your problems was with the outfitters sinners and those who prepped the hides and capes for the salt shed, you would of had the same problems or even worse with just a dip and pack. Not to mention the shipping company.

1/4" plywood is the norm for the crates. I received mine and there wasn't a dent in it. It was framed with 2x2's with a couple of extra braces on the inside for a couple of the mounts.

Bullseye was great to deal with. I’ll post pictures when they get here and everything is finalized. Crates are in transit now…

Some pictures from Bullseye are in my media here too…My 3 previous Africa trips I had dip and pack then shipped to me. Then my taxidermist has it in the freezer for 5 years! Because he is too busy…
I’d love to see the final product when you get it. I just took a look in your media and at least in there they look very nice as well as bullseye’s instagram page.

Last May, 2022, I hunted with Tsala in the Limpopo Province, had 3 animals mounted by Bulls Eye Taxidermy, they were hanging on my wall here in the US before I returned last September, 2022, to hunt with Game 4 Safaris!! They did a great job, very happy with their work.

Last May, 2022, I hunted with Tsala in the Limpopo Province, had 3 animals mounted by Bulls Eye Taxidermy, they were hanging on my wall here in the US before I returned last September, 2022, to hunt with Game 4 Safaris!! They did a great job, very happy with their work.

Pictures please sir!?

Our you staying at Afton? If so talk to Richard about his new taxidermy/shipping business. Best prices I've seen and I'm sure the work will be done right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alissa34R

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia