Recent RSA taxidermists experience

Pictures please sir!?
I'll try to get back to my cabin tomorrow evening and get a couple of pictures to show you! I've had many animals mounted in SA and I have had many animals mounted here in the US, for me, I have been well pleased with SA mounts.

Hey all. Headed to Limpopo next June. Plains game of standard varieties is on the table. Probably your typical, Impala, warthog, kudu, zebra, blue wildebeest etc.

Weighing the pluses and minus of dip and pack then mount here in the states, (usda approved taxidermist just an hour away) vs having taxidermy done in RSA and shipped home. I’m trying to get a good feel for taxidermists I should look into in RSA and if anyone wants to PM me costs I’d be very interested too.

I know people are pretty split on taxi work done in the states vs RSA and im still debating that but I’d like a full picture before I make that decision.
Hands down bring it home to mount. Had work done there once by one of the “ best” companies. Stuff was terrible. I strongly suggest Kanati Elite Taxidermy in Pennsylvania.

Has anyone had their mounts done in the US but just had the back skins tanned in South Africa? Is that even feasible (or wise)?

Has anyone had their mounts done in the US but just had the back skins tanned in South Africa? Is that even feasible (or wise)?
My animals from last year are at the taxidermist now. I did dip/pack in South Africa and had a couple backskins tanned there. I also did the same for the animals this year that are scheduled to ship aroudn the end of next month. Great job all the way around for communicaiton and quality of work from Trophy Pro. Ty's taxidermy is mounting all my animals from Africa.

Ive had taxidermy from 3 safaris done in South Africa, the work was fine but on my last 2 shipments I had to have the poses redone, I was very specific on the poses as to where the mounts were going in my trophy room with pictures and descriptions. I caught it in time and they were corrected for the most part. Just keep on top of your taxidermist no matter where you decide to have them mounted. The one time I had them mounted in the states everything turned out well but probably double the cost.

I'd do it in the states.

You could end up with crappy taxidermy from either here or there, but you have some recourse here.

Exactly!!!! I am one of those who had a terrible experience with a SA Taxidermist (Highveld Taxidermy), highly recommended by the outfitter I hunted with. I was royally screwed with mediocre work at best; when I confronted the taxidermist their reply was to send the mounts back on my dime so they could fix them, and then shipped back on my dime. I also purchased insurance through them, and when it came time to file a claim, all I got was a big middle finger. Never again. All I could do was to expose their sh*t work here, and recommend others not to use them. Meanwhile, when it was all set and done, I had over $10K in mediocre work that I hope it will last.

Last year I hunted with Game 4 Africa, and had dip & pack done by their recommended taxidermist, and the work and communication was excellent. I'm getting my mounts done here in the states by one of the forum sponsors, Top of Texas Taxidermy.

Here is a picture of my impala looking at it from the back, you be the judge if this is $750 worth of work?

1693328037951.png

Here is the neck from the shoulder:

1693328096342.png

Okay, here's some thoughts....
I've used 4 different taxidermy studios in Africa and 1 in the US. I've been happy with all of the work done by all 5. The African studios were recommended by the PH we were hunting with.
I've recently used True Reflection Taxidermy in Grahamstown, SA and Nyati Studios in Windhoek. These two studios are well run, professional and the owners are on site and in charge.
I will suggest that you ask/demand, your PH save enough time before your flight to bring you to the studio in person. Look around, check out finished and in progress work, and trust your gut reaction. This also allows you to tell the studio exactly what you want. Doing this can forestall untold confusion.
Here in the states I've used Northeast Taxidermy. They had done work for me in the past and will again in the future.
One last thought, the cost of shipping has ended my taxidermy spending. Only pictures from now on.

When you are at the lodge in SA look around and judge for yourself.
Where do you think all the animals on the wall being made? Locally of course.
Also reputable taxidermists in SA have the forms ready and tanning is quick and excellent.
They do hundreds if not thousands of African animals and very experienced.
It's like whitetail or elk for them.
I'm not going to name any but I visited couple good ones in Limpopo area and their work was par if not better most everything I see here and they have huge operations and warehouses.
Their prices will be half of what you'll pay here if you know how to negotiate and importation will be easier to deal with.
You might pay a tad more for shipping because of volume.
Like most everything else we are made to believe taxidermy is better here so when they charge you inflated prices and justify it.
There are good taxidermists everywhere here, Europe, SA etc..

What I believe is the issue when things go south, you have nothing you can do with a taxidermist outside the US. There are no recourses for you with an outside studio, all you can do is b*tch and warn others about it. With someone in the US, you are at least in the same continent, and can use the courts if necessary, or drive up and pick up your stuff.

When I compared the cost to having them done in the US (this was in 2012), the cost was roughly $100-200 difference per animal, cheaper in SA. Which at the end of the day went into the cost of the airfreight. So, there were really no real savings.

Yes, they do these animals day in and day out. It is like an assembly line, not real craftsmen, and very poor attention to details. I'm sure my mounts will be done by Eric, and he has name and reputation on the line, so I know they will be done right.

I'm not saying all SA taxidermist are bad, I'm pointing out and showing my experience with one. Because of my experience, I will have my taxidermy done in the US.

That is exactly what I did. Had the mounts done in Canada and the skins tanned in SA. The local taxidermist had to get the skins soaked again as they were shipped rolled, but it worked our great.

I plan on using Bullseye for my planned ‘24 Buff hunt. I’ve heard nothing but good things regarding quality, communications, and turn-around time. Highly recommend by the outfitter as well.

I hunted in Limpopo in 2014. I was planning on bringing my articles for taxidermy back to the states, but a slick presentation and a "we can't guarantee that the dip/pack will successfully make it back to the states" line convinced me to have it done in S.A.

All I can say is...................NEVER AGAIN!!!! While I'm sure that there are good taxidermists in S.A., mine came back in poor condition (considering what I payed). There were maggots in my kudu horns, the crate was thin plywood that was little better than cardboard, and looked like it had been constructed by a 5 year old, and came back damaged (as well as the kudu skull mount). My wildebeast looked as if it had been skinned by someone who was having an epileptic seizure there were so many nicks in it........if it even IS my wildebeast..........the photos I took shortly after I shot it and what I have on the wall are somewhat dissimilar. The company that did my work came HIGHLY recommended by my outfitter; I will never use them again. If you have issues, you have NO recourse or legal standing to get your money back.

If I ever do go back to Africa and decide to have taxidermy done, it will be dip/packed by a reputable company and done here in the states.
Thanks. Who was the taxidermist?

On our 2022 hunt with Nick Bowker the 3 of us had our animals and back skins done by African Wildlife Artistry. All 3 of us were very satisfied with the work. I was very reluctant to have any work done in SA as I have seen and heard to many horror stories. Nick put his reputation on the line so we went ahead. Crating and packing was done by African Trophy Exports. The crates and packing were imaculate and no wasted space. Everything arrived in excellent condition . Delivery was 10-11 months. All in with shipping and taxidermy and crating we were a minimum of 35% less that having our mounts done at home. And at least 18 months sooner. The owner of African Wildlife Artistry was trained in the US.

In 2013 we had karoo Taxidermy in the eastern cape do our work. The mounts are on par with what my local taxidermist. Their communications were so so. In 2015and 2018 Safari Taxidermy in Polokwane did the mounts and were better than the Karoo guys. Their communications were very timely and always informative. The 2021 eastern cape safari with @KMG Hunting Safaris trophies was done by @SPLITTING IMAGE TAXIDERMY , their work is the Best I have had done in Africa to date. Their communications are very good and timely. They currently have our 2022 safari animals. Communication are still spot on. The 2021 Namibian safari animals are currently with @gizmo Top of Texas Taxidermy. I have been happy with all the taxidermists that have done mounts.

I've used Splitting Image twice in the past and their US affiliate for my 2019 safari. I was going to use the US shop for last years Argentina and 2 short SA safaris but they were an unfortunate casualty of Covid. So I am again using Splitting image. So far the communicationhas been excellent, as always, and I get updates on the progress from receiving the skins to completion of tanning and form completion. I'm having some custom full mounts done and they are emailing me photos of the progress to make sure forms are what I want. I'll post again when I get them back or when I get more photos.

I have posted in the past about using them and some issues I had. They have been very good at resolving problems for me. I would recommend them if you want to use a SA company.

Don't put much weight in gratuitous comment made by newbie who joined the same day this thread was posted. I had horrible experiences with Karoo Taxidermy ... TWICE. All euro mounts. Only one of twenty was ready to put on the wall out of the crate. We are in the business and I could clean up or repair most of them. But a couple were beyond help, including a gold medal black wildebeest with huge bosses nearly grown together. Horns were cooked to pieces. Kudu had a bunch of cattle teeth with roots cut off glued on it willy nilly. Same with waterbuck. They sent me someone else's wildebeest skin and sable skull. Etc, etc, etc. I can't comment on their fur and glass eyes stuff as I've not had any of that done by them. And never will.

Bullseye in Limpopo does excellent work. They also communicate well and their turn time has been 6-8 months every time I’ve used them (4x times)…
Bullseye Taxidermy is one of the best in Limpopo Area.
I've seen their operation firsthand and can vouch for their quality,
You can also save enough money for couple other animals to hunt.
Prices in US are outrageous!

Don't put much weight in gratuitous comment made by newbie who joined the same day this thread was posted. I had horrible experiences with Karoo Taxidermy ... TWICE. All euro mounts. Only one of twenty was ready to put on the wall out of the crate. We are in the business and I could clean up or repair most of them. But a couple were beyond help, including a gold medal black wildebeest with huge bosses nearly grown together. Horns were cooked to pieces. Kudu had a bunch of cattle teeth with roots cut off glued on it willy nilly. Same with waterbuck. They sent me someone else's wildebeest skin and sable skull. Etc, etc, etc. I can't comment on their fur and glass eyes stuff as I've not had any of that done by them. And never will.
Perhaps you didn’t mean to be insulting, but calling another member‘s post “gratuitous“ and referring to him as a “newbie” is uncalled for. For all you know it was his honest experience. I would say that someone whose join date was just 4 months ago could also be considered “new.”

Have you ever considered you might be the problem? It seems you have many more issues than most.

Have you ever considered you might be the problem? It seems you have many more issues than most.
20220306_234926.jpg
20220306_173957.jpg

20220303_150907.jpg

20220226_112547.jpg

black wildebeest horns.JPG

I would consider myself part of the problem if I was the one who put this shit in a box and sent it off to a client without first sending him photos of work to approve or even letting him know the stuff was in hands of shipper ... who can then charge what they want or else because they have the trophies. Yeah, I'm the problem. Sure. You betcha.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrankieGom

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!