Preparing to order or buy a Double Rifle: help me choose the caliber

Which caliber should I choose?

• Total voters
I never shot anything bigger than my 416 Rigby until I purchased a Heym 500 NE about a year and a half ago. Now I'm 60 years old and find after putting around 200 rounds through the 500 that its very handy, fast, balanced and with a red dot I hope will get me on my first buffalo in about 5 weeks. I'm not recoil shy, but I am getting old! I don't find the 500 difficult to shoot and think the reward of said caliber complements what I'll be doing in Mozambique perfectly... Time will tell.
Thank you, this is exactly the type of information that is really helpful; someone my age who can comment on recoil of a particular caliber. I know that perceived recoil can be subjective, and that different shooters have very different tolerance levels. But it's nice to know that it's not unreasonable for someone at a similar life stage.

Thank you, this is exactly the type of information that is really helpful; someone my age who can comment on recoil of a particular caliber. I know that perceived recoil can be subjective, and that different shooters have very different tolerance levels. But it's nice to know that it's not unreasonable for someone at a similar life stage.
For the record, I am 67.

Was also 67 when this video was taken with my .500 NE

@towserthemouser,
first, i own a 450/400 3"

second: If i HAD to trade it for one one of the other calibers you listed it would be for the 450 nitro.
the 458 caliber availability of bullets would be one reason and it was the original express caliber and it will do anything the 470 or 500 will do with good shot placement.

i think the shoot ability of the 450-400 (in recoil terms) has much to recommend it.

regardless, a new double rifle, good for you!! i am mildly jealous. i think your choice of heym is a good one, good luck with your new rifle.

I would probably go for the .470 Nitro Express, a classical calibre with easily available ammunition both home and abroad. Just like the .375 Holland & Holland which would be my choice for a bolt action rifle, for the same reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FidelOldha