Preparing to order or buy a Double Rifle: help me choose the caliber

Which caliber should I choose?

• Total voters
I just ordered my new and only double nearly a couple of months ago now. I considered the 450, 470 and 500/416 chamberings. The 458 calibres are my favourite due to the availability of projectiles and the SD the 480 grain and above projectiles offer but decided to pass on the 450 seeing I already have a 458 Lott in a bolt gun. I've really been interested in the 500/416 cartridge for a long time, the idea of the 416 Rigby ballistics being replicated in a double rifle is a great concept IMHO. However I passed on the 500/416 as well mostly because of brass availability and because I think the 470 could probably be considered a slightly better stopping rifle (my words) than the 500/416 though it's probably really splitting hairs as both produce similar energy at the muzzle but the 470 having the advantage of greater frontal area.

So I landed on the 470, readily available reloading components (at least where I live that is the case), good stopping power, I feel the 470 provides a good balance of power at the muzzle vs felt recoil, probably the most common factory ammo anywhere in the world (if I ever needed it), the rifle doesn't need to be overly heavy to tame the recoil of the 470 cartridge even though heavy rifles don't really bother me it is still an advantage and most of all it offers all the right attributes for me personally as a hunter. I do hunt DG on my own at times so it gives me that stopping power if needed, the DG I hunt 99% of the time is buffalo and scrub bulls and I feel the 470 is almost the perfect double cartridge for these animals and it still gives me everything I need if I was to end up on an elephant hunt one day.
What rifle are you getting and what is the weight?

With your criteria @towserthemouser I believe the 450/400 is your best bet and will get the most enjoyment out of; having said that I’ve owned my .470ne for a few years now and love it especially since I shot my first elephant with it two weeks ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmilSherwo

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg