Preparing to order or buy a Double Rifle: help me choose the caliber

Which caliber should I choose?

• Total voters

towserthemouser

Reaction score
I've been lurking and learning on this wonderful forum for a while now. So much knowledge and experience on here, and I appreciate the generosity and passion of those who share it!

I've been on 3 safaris but it's been over 15 years; life has intervened (Job change, Category 5 Hurricane, global pandemic, paying for two academic degrees and two weddings, etc.). When I turned 60 I sat down and had a think and decided that I'm by no means done having adventures, and set some bucket list goals...... I'm hoping to hunt and adventure at least into my mid 70's. Legs and lungs and eyes are all good for now, and I'm putting in the work to try to keep it that way.

I'm drawn to the beautiful doubles and am researching and preparing to order one. I'm not opposed to finding a nice used one, but there is something fun about having it made just for you, and the anticipation of waiting for the delivery.

Leaning pretty hard right now towards the Heym 89B, although we have an upcoming trip to London, and I "accidentally" chose a hotel in the neighborhood of many of the famous gun makers....... So I'll be making the rounds (any suggestions about what/who to see are most welcome; I do know I want to have a look at the Rigby Shikari). I'm also planning to make a trip out to Texas and see and shoot the Heym rifles. If I had the budget I would just head straight to Westley Richards and sign the paperwork, but alas I think I will enjoy those vicariously, and spend my nickels on hunting trips.

I'm trying to choose the right caliber and am seeking advice. This is a big purchase, and if you order one you have to wait for it, and daylight is burning and I want to get it right. I'm 61. I'm built like a fullback. I do have a history of myopia since childhood and have undergone Lasik surgery. My vision is good but I have been told that I have a greater risk of retinal detachment than the general population. So that is maybe a consideration when it comes to heavy recoil. I have a fair amount of experience shooting a 375 H&H and the recoil of that does not bother me at all, in fact I really enjoy shooting it. I have taken a buffalo and a leopard with the 375. I have no experience with heavier calibers or with double rifles (I have put plenty of high brass duck and goose loads through my trusty Super Fox). It is likely that buffalo will be the most common targeted species for me over the next 15 years or so (with luck), mostly just based on cost and availability factors and the joy of hunting them. However, I do aspire to hunt elephant at least once, and maybe more if finances permit. And I might like to try for lion, again if finances permit. So I want to choose a caliber that is suitable for all. Part of the decision also involves choosing one that I will enjoy practicing with, and develop muscle memory and confidence and proficiency with the rifle and the caliber.

450/400 NE: Many have spoken well of the 450/400 NE. It is said to be very shootable, and ideally suited for buffalo. I've heard it said that it's perfectly adequate for elephant, and will achieve enough penetration to do the job with correct placement, and that the correct placement is perhaps more likely if you shoot the caliber well. To be honest I'm not 1000% convinced it is authoritative on elephant. And I'm a "belt and suspenders, two is one, one is none" kind of guy. I was also told that the 450/400 NE should be the first double rifle you buy, and the last one you sell. And if I'm going to hunt 8 or 10 buffalo and maybe 1 or 2 elephants over the next 10-15 years and into my 70's, maybe it is the correct choice.

450 NE: The 450 NE intrigues me because it is perhaps a bit more authoritative and maybe more suitable for elephant, and at least on paper may have a penetration advantage over the 470 NE based on better sectional density. And there is a huge choice of bullets in .458 and likely to remain so into the future. I've been told it may not have good resale value vs. the 470, although I hope to buy a rifle with some character and leave it behind for my grandson rather than sell it..... so resale value questions may not be as important. I'm buying a rifle to use it and enjoy it, not to sell it.

470 NE: The 470 NE certainly has plenty of cache, and most seem to agree that it's "enough gun" for all the animals we hunt. Resale value is perhaps the strongest of these choices from what I can tell. So if you're not happy with it for any reason, you can sell it. Ammo may be laying around in camp. I've heard it said that the recoil is a big step up, and one person even said, "The 470 NE is a young turk's caliber. You won't shoot it as well as a 450/400 NE, and you won't be shooting it when you're 70." No less an authority than Kevin Robertson has approved the caliber for elephant, but has also expressed some concerns about penetration, and stated that he "wishes it had a bit more sectional density." (The S.D. is .318) Kevin also expressed to me that the superior S.D. of .341 in a 450 NE with a 500 grain bullet may confer a meaningful penetration advantage for the slightly smaller caliber.......

500 NE: To be honest I haven't really considered the 500 NE as strongly for myself as a client hunter. I understand that it may be one of the very best choices for a PH to select as a stopping rifle, but I'm concerned we're just getting too far up the recoil scale for myself. On the other hand, I did have one person state that with his eyes closed he was not certain he could tell the difference in recoil from a 450 to a 470 to a 500 NE.

I'm ready to submit my application for membership to the Double Rifle Club, and would welcome any words of wisdom and encouragement from the members!

I've been wanting a .450 NE for a while, mainly because of the wide selection of .458 bullets you mentioned, but Hornady seems to have stopped making the ammo and finding brass seems to be problematic.
The .450/.400 seems intriguing but I'm unsure what the bullet diameter is and what the bullet selection would be.
Hard to argue with the .470. It seems to be chugging right along as far as ammo availability goes.
Good luck on you!

Depending on how I read the question, I come up with four different answers:
- Out of the four the .500 NE would be my choice for just one big bore double. However it is not the most practical by any stretch (I'm 36 also). This is the cartridge for the (perhaps overly cocky) adventurers among us (or those who pretend to be one).

- You can't go wrong with the .470. It will do it's job, but I see it as unappealing (or efficient) as a Blaser rifle. Nothing about it get's me excited, but it'll definitely do what needs to be done. This is the cartridge for the Spock's among us.

- 450 NE this one would attract me the most, apart from the .500. Straight walls, a rich and long history. There is just something inherently romantic about it. This is the cartridge for the dreamers and romantics. Definitely not for the accountant's among us.

- The 450/400 is probably the right choice. If one custom, tailor-made rifle would be the one you want for all your hunting in the coming two decades, this is it. It will take any and all dangerous game. Be light and handy enough to carry all day long and should be great with a claw mounted scope and red dot. This is the cartridge for the realists among us, who want to get stuff done and smoke cigars after.

(little tongue in cheek this response ;) )

Cheers and let us know what you choose in the end!

Vertigo

.450/.400 or .500/.416 all day long. Why pick up more recoil?? The need for larger calibers is grossly overstated. I feel quite confident that more people have been injured due to clients with too much gun rather than too little gun. Also, consider that you want to hunt with this rifle as you age.

If you have the time and resources get your hands on as many different doubles as possible. I’m partial to Krieghoff and Heym for a great functional rifle. You may find other options more appealing aesthetically and ergonomically in some of the higher price points.

Good luck on your search.

That's more or less the same question I am asking myself.

I have a .375H&H and a .404 Jeffery (which I can handle, but I have to be honest that's the top of my personal recoil tolerance).

That said my personal choice is between a .375 Flanged Magnum and the .450/400 NE.

Beeing located in Central Europe the .410 (or.411) bullets are hard to find, but man they would be worth the fun...

I also want to use the double for driven hunts... that's possible with both options.

Krieghoff is offering their big game double for approx. 15.000€, Heym hasn't answered yet...

Good luck with your choice :)

First of all get a Strait Wall Cartridge. I personally have a 500 NE but I would recommend a 450/400 for you. I have a couple rifles in 450/400 and love it. Also a custom built rifle is harder to resell than a Factory one, if that's something that might figure into the equation?.

I've been lurking and learning on this wonderful forum for a while now. So much knowledge and experience on here, and I appreciate the generosity and passion of those who share it!

I've been on 3 safaris but it's been over 15 years; life has intervened (Job change, Category 5 Hurricane, global pandemic, paying for two academic degrees and two weddings, etc.). When I turned 60 I sat down and had a think and decided that I'm by no means done having adventures, and set some bucket list goals...... I'm hoping to hunt and adventure at least into my mid 70's. Legs and lungs and eyes are all good for now, and I'm putting in the work to try to keep it that way.

I'm drawn to the beautiful doubles and am researching and preparing to order one. I'm not opposed to finding a nice used one, but there is something fun about having it made just for you, and the anticipation of waiting for the delivery.

Leaning pretty hard right now towards the Heym 89B, although we have an upcoming trip to London, and I "accidentally" chose a hotel in the neighborhood of many of the famous gun makers....... So I'll be making the rounds (any suggestions about what/who to see are most welcome; I do know I want to have a look at the Rigby Shikari). I'm also planning to make a trip out to Texas and see and shoot the Heym rifles. If I had the budget I would just head straight to Westley Richards and sign the paperwork, but alas I think I will enjoy those vicariously, and spend my nickels on hunting trips.

I'm trying to choose the right caliber and am seeking advice. This is a big purchase, and if you order one you have to wait for it, and daylight is burning and I want to get it right. I'm 61. I'm built like a fullback. I do have a history of myopia since childhood and have undergone Lasik surgery. My vision is good but I have been told that I have a greater risk of retinal detachment than the general population. So that is maybe a consideration when it comes to heavy recoil. I have a fair amount of experience shooting a 375 H&H and the recoil of that does not bother me at all, in fact I really enjoy shooting it. I have taken a buffalo and a leopard with the 375. I have no experience with heavier calibers or with double rifles (I have put plenty of high brass duck and goose loads through my trusty Super Fox). It is likely that buffalo will be the most common targeted species for me over the next 15 years or so (with luck), mostly just based on cost and availability factors and the joy of hunting them. However, I do aspire to hunt elephant at least once, and maybe more if finances permit. And I might like to try for lion, again if finances permit. So I want to choose a caliber that is suitable for all. Part of the decision also involves choosing one that I will enjoy practicing with, and develop muscle memory and confidence and proficiency with the rifle and the caliber.

450/400 NE: Many have spoken well of the 450/400 NE. It is said to be very shootable, and ideally suited for buffalo. I've heard it said that it's perfectly adequate for elephant, and will achieve enough penetration to do the job with correct placement, and that the correct placement is perhaps more likely if you shoot the caliber well. To be honest I'm not 1000% convinced it is authoritative on elephant. And I'm a "belt and suspenders, two is one, one is none" kind of guy. I was also told that the 450/400 NE should be the first double rifle you buy, and the last one you sell. And if I'm going to hunt 8 or 10 buffalo and maybe 1 or 2 elephants over the next 10-15 years and into my 70's, maybe it is the correct choice.

450 NE: The 450 NE intrigues me because it is perhaps a bit more authoritative and maybe more suitable for elephant, and at least on paper may have a penetration advantage over the 470 NE based on better sectional density. And there is a huge choice of bullets in .458 and likely to remain so into the future. I've been told it may not have good resale value vs. the 470, although I hope to buy a rifle with some character and leave it behind for my grandson rather than sell it..... so resale value questions may not be as important. I'm buying a rifle to use it and enjoy it, not to sell it.

470 NE: The 470 NE certainly has plenty of cache, and most seem to agree that it's "enough gun" for all the animals we hunt. Resale value is perhaps the strongest of these choices from what I can tell. So if you're not happy with it for any reason, you can sell it. Ammo may be laying around in camp. I've heard it said that the recoil is a big step up, and one person even said, "The 470 NE is a young turk's caliber. You won't shoot it as well as a 450/400 NE, and you won't be shooting it when you're 70." No less an authority than Kevin Robertson has approved the caliber for elephant, but has also expressed some concerns about penetration, and stated that he "wishes it had a bit more sectional density." (The S.D. is .318) Kevin also expressed to me that the superior S.D. of .341 in a 450 NE with a 500 grain bullet may confer a meaningful penetration advantage for the slightly smaller caliber.......

500 NE: To be honest I haven't really considered the 500 NE as strongly for myself as a client hunter. I understand that it may be one of the very best choices for a PH to select as a stopping rifle, but I'm concerned we're just getting too far up the recoil scale for myself. On the other hand, I did have one person state that with his eyes closed he was not certain he could tell the difference in recoil from a 450 to a 470 to a 500 NE.

I'm ready to submit my application for membership to the Double Rifle Club, and would welcome any words of wisdom and encouragement from the members!
Budget, Budget, Budget. A new Rigby Shakira starts at $38,000 with no customization except it will be built to you. Engraving extra. If you go with Heym much lower price but can be built to you. Also the element of time. I would estimate three years waiting time for your custom rifle. If none of that matters then you are good to go. Excited for you!!!! A DR is truly a thing of beauty and can bring incredible satisfaction!!!

Congratulations! Please post pictures of whatever you decide on!

My advise is buy a used one that the seller can demonstrate the 1-2” regulation with available ammo components.

If building new. Ensure it’s regulated to 1-2” with the ammo and speeds of your choice. Some manufacturers regulation tolerances leave a lot to be desired.
Make sure it’s clear in black and white. What the builder considers “regulated”.

You gave a good description of your practical factors, which pretty much describes the 450/400 parameters. Many people go too big on their first double. I've owned a couple of 500's and they are not for most. 470 is obviously a popular choice but when you say mostly buff and an ele or two...get the 450/400 stocked for you. Recoil of the other 3 could be a factor for your health and eye condition. That's the smart practical choice and will be easy to sell later.

First of all get a Strait Wall Cartridge. I personally have a 500 NE but I would recommend a 450/400 for you. I have a couple rifles in 450/400 and love it. Also a custom built rifle is harder to resell than a Factory one, if that's something that might figure into the equation?.
Are you recommending a straight-walled cartridge for ease of loading, or for the romance, or both?
Depending on how I read the question, I come up with four different answers:
- Out of the four the .500 NE would be my choice for just one big bore double. However it is not the most practical by any stretch (I'm 36 also). This is the cartridge for the (perhaps overly cocky) adventurers among us (or those who pretend to be one).

- You can't go wrong with the .470. It will do it's job, but I see it as unappealing (or efficient) as a Blaser rifle. Nothing about it get's me excited, but it'll definitely do what needs to be done. This is the cartridge for the Spock's among us.

- 450 NE this one would attract me the most, apart from the .500. Straight walls, a rich and long history. There is just something inherently romantic about it. This is the cartridge for the dreamers and romantics. Definitely not for the accountant's among us.

- The 450/400 is probably the right choice. If one custom, tailor-made rifle would be the one you want for all your hunting in the coming two decades, this is it. It will take any and all dangerous game. Be light and handy enough to carry all day long and should be great with a claw mounted scope and red dot. This is the cartridge for the realists among us, who want to get stuff done and smoke cigars after.

(little tongue in cheek this response ;) )

Cheers and let us know what you choose in the end!

Vertigo
Thank you! The way you sorted these by "personality types" is not only funny, but actually helpful!

You gave a good description of your practical factors, which pretty much describes the 450/400 parameters. Many people go too big on their first double. I've owned a couple of 500's and they are not for most. 470 is obviously a popular choice but when you say mostly buff and an ele or two...get the 450/400 stocked for you. Recoil of the other 3 could be a factor for your health and eye condition. That's the smart practical choice and will be easy to sell later.
Hard to argue with@green chili’s response

Of the four choices you have selected, I chose the .470. Great all around cartridge and lots of ammo availability. Recoil is subjective to the fit so if you are ordering one the fit should be perfect. Not on your list is a .416 of any make. Rigby Remington or ruger. That is really my choice as it has even better ballistics for a longer shot on maybe giraffe etc. good luck with your choice not really any wrong ones there ( edit) go ahead and get the .500. I will buy it from you later with 18 rounds of ammo …. Lol.

Last edited:
@towserthemouser, a good write up, so we know your thought process. Without a doubt, how you are describing your anticipated need leads straight to the 450/400 3". I would go new and I would go Heym 89b. I went through exactly the same thought process that you describe, but soon settled upon 450/400. I also considered the next down as well, ie the 375 Flanged Magnum, but because of the potential for mainly Buffalo with perhaps an elephant one day I leaned towards the 450/400. I previously fired 458, and 500NE and although I can handle it, it isn't much fun. And certainly I knew it would be difficult to shoot really well if I was brutally honest. So what for?
Having settled upon the calibre, the decision moved to what make, and here there was absolutely no question that the best action mechanically speaking is made by Heym. Not just my own analysis of their execution, but their track record out there in the hands of PH'S in Africa as well as the opinion of double rifle experts. I couldn't find one negative report.
But I really didn't like the styling of their current work horse double, the 88.
Enter their new 89b with it's classic British styling and that was it, order placed and a year later it arrived. It was about half of the cost of what a Rigby Shikari costs today and more or less the same as the rest of the production field.
I have now had it a couple of years, hunted a bit, range shot plenty including our competition shoot. My conclusion - given all the money in the world and the choice of any of the 'top' brands I would choose the Heym 89b again. Add all the finish you wish, or none at all, it will be the same reliable double rifle regardless.

@towserthemouser, a good write up, so we know your thought process. Without a doubt, how you are describing your anticipated need leads straight to the 450/400 3". I would go new and I would go Heym 89b. I went through exactly the same thought process that you describe, but soon settled upon 450/400. I also considered the next down as well, ie the 375 Flanged Magnum, but because of the potential for mainly Buffalo with perhaps an elephant one day I leaned towards the 450/400. I previously fired 458, and 500NE and although I can handle it, it isn't much fun. And certainly I knew it would be difficult to shoot really well if I was brutally honest. So what for?
Having settled upon the calibre, the decision moved to what make, and here there was absolutely no question that the best action mechanically speaking is made by Heym. Not just my own analysis of their execution, but their track record out there in the hands of PH'S in Africa as well as the opinion of double rifle experts. I couldn't find one negative report.
But I really didn't like the styling of their current work horse double, the 88.
Enter their new 89b with it's classic British styling and that was it, order placed and a year later it arrived. It was about half of the cost of what a Rigby Shikari costs today and more or less the same as the rest of the production field.
I have now had it a couple of years, hunted a bit, range shot plenty including our competition shoot. My conclusion - given all the money in the world and the choice of any of the 'top' brands I would choose the Heym 89b again. Add all the finish you wish, or none at all, it will be the same reliable double rifle regardless.
Thanks, that is valuable feedback. I have heard great things about the Heym rifles, and like you I like the looks of the 89B. That might just be the ticket.

I will be 79 next month and still enjoy the big bores. I was also extremely myopic until I had Excimer surgery years ago. Since then I have experienced tears in both retinas. The left eye when hit by a softball and the right eye after getting too close to the scope on a 300 Win Mag. Since the tears I still shoot my 416 Rigby, 450 NE, and 470 NE with no issues other than at my age I do not agree with open sights. I have RMRs on my double rifles.

With respect to calibers, with the modern bullets (Woodleigh Hydros) I would believe the 450/400 to adequate for Elephant and as the client you have the PH for backup. I also second the choice of a Heym 89B. I love mine in 450NE and I have been able to handload reduced loads that regulate.

Hope you can get to Dallas to shoot the Heyms and I am sure you will enjoy your time with Chris.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
I would start in the middle... the 450 and the 470 are pretty much one in the same they both push a 480-500gr bullet at 2150 for approx 5000 ft/lbs of energy ... Which one?..In a post Covid world where Ammo.. Factory or Components are not a problem I would choose the 450NE .. It is a straight walled cartridge compared to the necked down case of the 470, in a bespoke double the barrels should be narrower than the barrels of a 470 making them easier to carry and more lively between the hands at 10.5 lbs a well built 450 should handle like a shotgun....
IMHO I think the 450-400 as nifty a cartridge as it is,,, is as much of a step down as the 500 is a step up from the middle ... If Ele and Buff are the only intended for your Double then the 500 may be for you
Of the Guns mentioned I would lean towards the Rigby ... But for the dollars that you may spend there are some spectacular English Doubles in the used marked that might be waiting for you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowell8499

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg