Premium CRF rifles that don't cost as much as a house

I’d have one built. At the end of the day, rifles are nothing more than an action, stock, barrel, and a trigger. You can put a fancy name on them and charge $10k more, but it won’t affect the gun. I have semi custom Pre-64’s and Kimber 8400’s that are CRF, 3 position safety’s, and are Mauser clones. The Pre-64 .270 shoots most factory ammo within 3/4” but will get a new barrel when the original is shot out. The Kimber is a solid 3/4-1” gun with factory ammo, but will be sent out this year for a new barrel and blueprinting to get below 1/2”moa. The biggest thing is to find a good stock maker with access to good wood. Don’t skimp on the blank. IMO, a 1/2” gun with a 2.5lb trigger that looks and handles great is all you need, and you don’t need to spend $10k to get that.

You could also just check out Canyon Creek Custom Rifles. They have all sort of guns in the $5k-$15k range to drool over, and nobody will ever look at the gun like it’s anything but a bespoke gun.

IMG_3908.png
IMG_3909.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d have one built. At the end of the day, rifles are nothing more than an action, stock, barrel, and a trigger. You can put a fancy name on them and charge $10k more, but it won’t affect the gun. I have semi custom Pre-64’s and Kimber 8400’s that are CRF, 3 position safety’s, and are Mauser clones. The Pre-64 .270 shoots most factory ammo within 3/4” but will get a new barrel when the original is shot out. The Kimber is a solid 3/4-1” gun with factory ammo, but will be sent out this year for a new barrel and blueprinting to get below 1/2”moa. The biggest thing is to find a good stock maker with access to good wood. Don’t skimp on the blank. IMO, a 1/2” gun with a 2.5lb trigger that looks and handles great is all you need, and you don’t need to spend $10k to get that.
Where I absolutely see your logic, I disagree solely on my experiences with gunsmiths / builders. I would rather pay an extra $5K I honestly do not have sitting around than wait 12-24 months on a decent build, hope he builds as specified, if he does not he is willing to fix, and able to provide lasting maintenance or support. I can buy a Highland Stalker immediately, no headaches, with lasting customer service.

Where I absolutely see your logic, I disagree solely on my experiences with gunsmiths / builders. I would rather pay an extra $5K I honestly do not have sitting around than wait 12-24 months on a decent build, hope he builds as specified, if he does not he is willing to fix, and able to provide lasting maintenance or support. I can buy a Highland Stalker immediately, no headaches, with lasting customer service.
But you’re still in the $17k range with a decent stick of wood, no custom dimensions, etc. At least that’s what I see from their website.

I would suggest that you have a choice of either buying a finished rifle - Mauser/ Rigby or Heym - or a barrelled action - Granite Mountain, FZH, Mayfair Engineering - and building it up from there.

There are various things that you need to think about, including the safety (flag or Winchester), engraving (get the serial number engraved on the trigger guard!), and I would suggest getting a takedown model.

It is certainly easier to buy a ready-made rifle. If you want something special for yourself, a build is the way to go and - if you do your homework - should be within your budget. If you don't do your homework, you will get taken to the cleaners. A good place to start is Terry Wieland's Dangerous Game Rifles.

The third option is to bide your time and scour the auction websites. My .375 H&H takedown (by H&H), including 'scope and case, came in at £6,000 (although admittedly I had to spend more getting it into good order).

Was always curious about the takedowns. Are there more pros to it then easier to store/transport? I remember seeing a Holland&Holland Takedown in 375 not too long ago for around 15k

I am talking about a Highland Stalker. Mine was purchased sub $9K new in 2020.
View attachment 549461
Now go configure it on their website. $13995 without a single upgrade. Good wood is another $2500-$3800. For me, it’s at least an $18K gun, with only a wood upgrade. I’m kind of a sucker for good wood.

IMG_3910.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I gather from the original post that you don't want to spend the money for a London Best rifle.
Your options begin at the price point just under $2000 for a Winchester Model 70--even one of the Super Grade models.
Next up would be a Dakota or similar in the $3500 to $5000 (or more) range depending on new or second hand and what you want in terms of caliber, stock, engraving, etc.
The Heym, Mauser, or Rigby models in the $17,000 to $20,000 range are up next, though I'm sure some of the other posters can recommend other brands or custom builds at other prices.
It's not a secret that I'm a big fan of both the Model 70 and the Rigby--simply because they kinda invented the whole idea of CRF in a hunting rifle--both dangerous game and smaller caliber. Everyone else just worked off their designs.
I own both--a Rigby Big Game in 416 Rigby and four Model 70's in 270 win, 30.06, 300 winmag and 375H&H. Very easy to see the similarities and differences in the rifles. Hard to go wrong with either.

I was going to have a custom rifle built but I ended up using that money on a hunt. I was primarily focused on accuracy not aesthetics, and much smaller calibers.

With these 10-15k rifles - what type of accuracy are they delivering? Not concerned with guarantees just curious if anyone can comment on the actual performance.

What are some of the more premium CRF rifles that are priced above your standard Model 70's, Ruger Hawkeye's, Sako's etc but don't cost 6 figures like some of the bespoke British rifles?

I'm thinking more along the lines of the Dakota 76, Heym Express etc.

I'm looking to treat myself with something really nice, but not 6 figures nice.
The Dakota 76 and AHR DGRs on the secondary market are hard to beat for the money.

Now go configure it on their website. $13995 without a single upgrade. Good wood is another $2500-$3800. For me, it’s at least an $18K gun, with only a wood upgrade. I’m kind of a sucker for good wood.
You are right. It depends on wood. The entry level is grade 5 which is more than enough for me. My Rigby has hunted Africa (going back again next month) and from Colorado (snow) to Virginia (rain) in the US. The stock does wear a few marks and the blueing is not 100%. If I chose a higher grade wood I might think twice about how hard I hunt it.

I was going to have a custom rifle built but I ended up using that money on a hunt. I was primarily focused on accuracy not aesthetics, and much smaller calibers.

With these 10-15k rifles - what type of accuracy are they delivering? Not concerned with guarantees just curious if anyone can comment on the actual performance.
I have shot 140 grain Hornady Interlock, 156 and 170 grain Norma Oryx, and 160 grain A frames from my 275 HS. I have never questioned if a shot was myself or the rifle. I knew I was to blame if it wasnt stellar. I have a 7x57 AHR#2 CZ550 that appears a bit more picky than the Rigby.

A Highland Stalker is exactly what you are looking for, trust me you won't be disappointed.

You could also just check out Canyon Creek Custom Rifles. They have all sort of guns in the $5k-$15k range to drool over, and nobody will ever look at the gun like it’s anything but a bespoke gun.
You could also have an American custom gumaker like Tod Ramirez build that bespoke rifle for a if you have to ask number.

Here is one of his previously owned ones for only $33K.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 9.44.08 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 9.44.08 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 9.44.09 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 9.44.09 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
As long as one doesn't go overboard on wood, I'm in the custom build camp. Failing that, the used market on gunbroker.

Greg at Southern Precision Rifles may be able to build a rifle in less time than other gunsmiths and for a very reasonable price. Below is a link to one of the CRF actions he sells.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 9.45.05 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 9.45.05 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 9.45.06 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 9.45.06 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
The Heym Express Magnum Bolt Action Rifle would be my first choice.

They manufacture EVERYTHING in-house. The barrel, the action and the stock...all under one roof. Each cartridge has a specific barrel profile that is designed for it. The action and magazine box are also cartridge specific. Everything about this rifle is set perfectly in place and tuned for the chosen cartridge. All that's left for you is to pick a barrel blank and be properly fitted for one of the best deals going in a CRF (nearly) full custom bolt action rifle that's DG ready out of the box.

Lastly, some tasteful engraving would be a really nice touch to top it off.

A dilemma for sure. I have always favored custom rifles from top builders. My 404 Jeffery with GM M98 action )LH), all the bells and whistles I wanted, and fitted to my dimensions cost 19k from Reto Buehler. Please note that I supplied the French walnut blank. This rifle (and others I’ve had built) probably exceed any ‘best rifle’ from top English makers . Delivery is typically two years or so. Reto has been extremely supportive after delivery.

Find a Dakota on the used market, well under 10k, all you’ll ever need, and you will never be ashamed carrying it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaBorth

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]