Premium CRF rifles that don't cost as much as a house

Looks like at current pricing it's 10,200 pounds or over $17,000 Canadian, before any options.

Yes, they’ve had quite a price increase. They are now priced very close to the Heym based on the last pricing I saw on them.

Find a Dakota on the used market, well under 10k, all you’ll ever need, and you will never be ashamed carrying it.
I am not ashamed carrying my Winchester Model 70s in Safari Classic and Super Express.

You don't have to spend $10K on a rifle to avoid being ashamed.

I don’t think the OP said anything about being ashamed of a rifle, he merely wants to treat himself. As the professional enablers that we are, it is our duty to help in this pursuit.

I am not ashamed carrying my Winchester Model 70s in Safari Classic and Super Express.

You don't have to spend $10K on a rifle to avoid being ashamed.
Yeah there's nothing to be ashamed about using any of those rifles.

This is more just wanting another step up in fit and finish over my current offerings.

I love my CZ550 but it's a working rifle and a little rough around the edges. My Model 70 is a step up in fit and finish with a much smoother bolt and from what I've read the Sako's are a similar upgrade over the model 70s.

I'm looking for something another level up from the Sako's, ideally under $10,000.

I don’t think the OP said anything about being ashamed of a rifle, he merely wants to treat himself. As the professional enablers that we are, it is our duty to help in this pursuit.
100% The OP did not say that.

The one comment about not being ashamed rubbed me the wrong way.

If you got the money and it's important to you...buy all means splurge on a gun you love.

I am in the situation where I choose to drive a paid for truck and shoot Winchester Model 70s and Weatherby 300 Mag so I can use the extra money on globe trotting hunts. If I drop $15K a rifle, which I could, I have to scratch off that hunt in the Save with the Duckworths.

So .416 Rem Mag Model 70 Safari Express it is...and I won't be ashamed carrying it. I do have all my rifles tuned up to be the best they can be. I had my .416 Pillar Bedded and it was shooting sub MOA at 113 yards when I arrived in Africa two weeks ago. The Cape Buffalo I thumped in the chest at 36 yards as he walked towards us while we kneeled behind a big downed tree didn't really care what rifle I used...he just dropped in his tracks and I put one in his spine to make sure he never got up

Last edited:
Yeah there's nothing to be ashamed about using any of those rifles.

This is more just wanting another step up in fit and finish over my current offerings.

I love my CZ550 but it's a working rifle and a little rough around the edges. My Model 70 is a step up in fit and finish with a much smoother bolt and from what I've read the Sako's are a similar upgrade over the model 70s.

I'm looking for something another level up from the Sako's, ideally under $10,000.
I get it. I love guns. Always want better, prettier.

I am just at the point in my life that I am refining what I have, selling the things I just bought because they were interesting to me or collector stuff in order to spend more money on hunting while I still can walk.

Like I said, that one comment irked me, but I should have just let it go. But your quest certainly does not. Because I have been there. :) Good luck in your search

What are some of the more premium CRF rifles that are priced above your standard Model 70's, Ruger Hawkeye's, Sako's etc but don't cost 6 figures like some of the bespoke British rifles?

I'm thinking more along the lines of the Dakota 76, Heym Express etc.

I'm looking to treat myself with something really nice, but not 6 figures nice.

A new Parkwest (formerly Dakota) of excellent quality will run you $13,000-$18,000. A vintage Dakota, often in mint condition, can run you $4000-$8000. Worth every penny because they are excellent, they are HALF of a new one, and they go UP in value. Their values have gone up 50%-100% since 2018.

A heym express is a fine rifle, but they sell for very high prices second hand for no good explanation. Another option is a Rigby double square bridge 416 Rigby. I've seen some go as low as $13,500 new, even though the MSRP is now around $17,000. That is a very good rifle that will climb in value.

Once you go below those guns, you're into guns that do not hold their value. Specifically the CZ550 customs. While a CZ for $2000-$3000 is a great deal, a custom for $8000 just isn't a great value for me when I compare it against the other options above.

Find a Dakota on the used market, well under 10k, all you’ll ever need, and you will never be ashamed carrying it.
A new Parkwest (formerly Dakota) of excellent quality will run you $13,000-$18,000. A vintage Dakota, often in mint condition, can run you $4000-$8000. Worth every penny because they are excellent, they are HALF of a new one, and they go UP in value. Their values have gone up 50%-100% since 2018.

A heym express is a fine rifle, but they sell for very high prices second hand for no good explanation. Another option is a Rigby double square bridge 416 Rigby. I've seen some go as low as $13,500 new, even though the MSRP is now around $17,000. That is a very good rifle that will climb in value.

Once you go below those guns, you're into guns that do not hold their value. Specifically the CZ550 customs. While a CZ for $2000-$3000 is a great deal, a custom for $8000 just isn't a great value for me when I compare it against the other options above.
Not all Dakota's are created equally and in general...the older the better. A Dakota made prior to 2004 will hold it's value better than one later than that. The reason being is that's when they were sold to Remington and issues with their rifles started to arise.

I have no doubt that the current product from Parkwest is better than when they were owned by Remington. Just be aware that there are differences.

EDIT - Personally, you would be hard pressed to find a better deal than this...
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...eym-ag-express-416-rigby.cfm?gun_id=102129657

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 8.15.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 8.15.12 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 8.15.14 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 8.15.14 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
Not all Dakota's are created equally and in general...the older the better. A Dakota made prior to 2004 will hold it's value better than one later than that. The reason being is that's when they were sold to Remington and issues with their rifles started to arise.

I have no doubt that the current product from Parkwest is better than when they were owned by Remington. Just be aware that there are differences.

As a collector, I'm 100% on board with your paragraph above. As a shooter, I don't think there was any diminished quality of build in any of the eras, but there was lower final quality control check in the Remington era when they cut the workforce. Not quality issues with the gun if it works great, but if it didn't work perfect (e.g. ejection/extraction/trigger) it needed to be sent back for a tune up. Those tune ups or minor adjustments were needless and annoyed the customer. The latter case is what I saw in the 2008-2015 era.

The desirability of the earlier guns aren't because they are "Pre-Remington" as much as they are "Don Allen Era" before his passing. There was something to the pride and customization when the owner/inventor was personally inspecting every gun. This is similar, but even more impactful than discussing say a Model 21 winchester shotgun during "the John Olin era" where he was personally checking out the work. It was also sort of insulting from a collector's view that these masterpieces were being built at the same time a custom marlin or Rem 700 was on the next bench. You don't want to see a Yugo on a lift next to a Ferrari at the mechanics shop.

The gun in this ad is definitely a very old dakota by looking at it, a good thing from a collector standpoint as it was a Don Allen gun made by him and Ward as chief gunsmith.

As a collector, I'm 100% on board with your paragraph above. As a shooter, I don't think there was any diminished quality of build in any of the eras, but there was lower final quality control check in the Remington era when they cut the workforce. Not quality issues with the gun if it works great, but if it didn't work perfect (e.g. ejection/extraction/trigger) it needed to be sent back for a tune up. Those tune ups or minor adjustments were needless and annoyed the customer. The latter case is what I saw in the 2008-2015 era.

The desirability of the earlier guns aren't because they are "Pre-Remington" as much as they are "Don Allen Era" before his passing. There was something to the pride and customization when the owner/inventor was personally inspecting every gun. This is similar, but even more impactful than discussing say a Model 21 winchester shotgun during "the John Olin era" where he was personally checking out the work. It was also sort of insulting from a collector's view that these masterpieces were being built at the same time a custom marlin or Rem 700 was on the next bench. You don't want to see a Yugo on a lift next to a Ferrari at the mechanics shop.

The gun in this ad is definitely a very old dakota by looking at it, a good thing from a collector standpoint as it was a Don Allen gun made by him and Ward as chief gunsmith.
That’s a West German Heym..

I also want to say I’ve seen one languish on GI for a while at $7500 so that $8900 might not be quite right
Quick trip to Minnesota for a full inspection and you can figure it out! :ROFLMAO:

IMO - The price isn't out of bounds, but it's hopeful. I'd say $8K would get it done nicely for both sides.

Quick trip to Minnesota for a full inspection and you can figure it out! :ROFLMAO:

IMO - The price isn't out of bounds, but it's hopeful. I'd say $8K would get it done nicely for both sides.

Sorry, didn’t see the Heym example piece. This is what happens when I post here sober, I love too fast without bourbon in me.

Heym West Germany. Caveat Emptor. You gotta look at the gun in person. Heym was making Mausers for Montgomery Wards at $200 a pop before German unification. The $15,000 heym express rifles of today may not resemble the in person inspected quality of a 1988 model.

German guns are like women, they are all different. You gotta give them a good look over without getting caught staring.

Sorry, didn’t see the Heym example piece. This is what happens when I post here sober, I love too fast without bourbon in me.

Heym West Germany. Caveat Emptor. You gotta look at the gun in person. Heym was making Mausers for Montgomery Wards at $200 a pop before German unification. The $15,000 heym express rifles of today may not resemble the in person inspected quality of a 1988 model.

German guns are like women, they are all different. You gotta give them a good look over without getting caught staring.
Well you are closer than me! ;)

I know, I know...you have more than enough of the top tier rifles that there is no need for another run of the mill Heym 416RIGBY.

But for the money it's probably better than a Dakota in the same caliber.

I would go with the Dakotas at around $7500 USD, half price of a new Parkwest or give Ralph Martini a call and get a new Heym starting around $13k CAD.

Well you are closer than me! ;)

I know, I know...you have more than enough of the top tier rifles that there is no need for another run of the mill Heym 416RIGBY.

But for the money it's probably better than a Dakota in the same caliber.

Depending on where in MN, I might be able to go look at it for you. Free, minus a tip in bourbon. PM me location details and I’ll see if it’s driveable.

Depending on where in MN, I might be able to go look at it for you. Free, minus a tip in bourbon. PM me location details and I’ll see if it’s driveable.
Not my cup of tea, but I appreciate the offer. I'm full up on push-feed DG rifles at the moment. :A Stirring:

If I'm ever close, I'll be sure to bring a proper bottle for us to share. Cheers mate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesHow

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]