Premium bullets needed for PG?

As I have expressed before, I am a firm believer in Barnes bullets, the TSX in particular. Since first using them in 2008, I have had zero problems/failures with them. I have shot animals from Jackal to Buffalo with them and my confidence in them is immense.

I am also an advocate for accuracy. On the safari I took in September for my birthday, I faced a bit of a dilemma. This trip was rather last minute as my wife made the mistake of asking what I wanted for my August 10th 60th birthday in late June. I replied SAFARI! I knew immediately by the look on her face that SAFARI was not the answer she had anticipated.

My good friend and PH, Pieter, wanted in on the birthday theme by wishing to surprise me by not telling me what we would be hunting. What does one take for a surprise safari?

I had a CZ 416 Rigby that I had not taken to Africa yet, so it was selected along with loads using Barnes TSX and solids. I selected a Chapuis double in 9.3x74 with a set of 20 gauge barrels with handloads using the Swift A-Frame as I do not use mono-metal bullets in doubles. My final pick was a CZ in 7x57 that I had never even fired. My time to find a suitable load was limited by the unfortunate circumstance that I still work. I tried multiple loads and factory offerings with poor results until I tried the Federal PowerShok roundnose load with a 175 grain bullet. Grouping was amazing. How would it perform on game?

I shot a trophy Steenbok, Duiker, and white Blesbok. One and done. I also culled an Impala, WaterBuck cow, and Kudu bull. Also one and done. The chronographed velocity of the 7x57 was 2345 fps. At modest velocity it worked quite well. The only bullet recovered was from the Waterbuck which was a quartering away shot. I have not weighed that projectile as of yet.

The Barnes TSX in 416 worked well on a cull Cape Buffalo cow and Crocodile. The 9.3 A-frame handled a cull Giraffe with authority.

3 completely different types of bullets all with great results. I would never load a cup and core like the Federal bullet "hot" but at appropriate velocity it performed flawlessly from 60 yards on the Waterbuck cow to 300 on the Blesbok.

I think the question is not if premium bullets are needed for plains game but rather are premium bullets needed for the requirements you set for your hunt. No doubt the premiums provide some insurance but shot placement is vital as well and one must respect the intended velocity window for any projectile.

Well said, as I'm reading through the thread I should have mentioned that cost is not an issues as some of you have reasons to believe. I believe in using what is required and not go overboard with anything that may not be necessary or justified.

You pay top Dollar on an African Safari. The bullet is the only thing you’re paying for, which actually touches the animal. I hope that my answer is self explanatory.

That said, a lot of people these days have pretty rigid definitions of the word “Premium”. Barnes TSX and Swift A Frames are great bullets, but a lot of younger hunters these days feel that anything other than these two designs… will fail to bring game to bag.

I did/do all this in Africa over the years with the following bullets:

Remington Core Lokt
IMG_1403.jpeg
IMG_1404.jpeg
IMG_1405.jpeg
IMG_2692.jpeg
IMG_1407.jpeg

Winchester Super X (now discontinued)
IMG_1800.jpeg
IMG_1532.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg
IMG_1533.jpeg
IMG_2749.jpeg

So far as I can recall, very few of the game required a second shot. And when they did, it was purely due to my faulty shooting. Not due to the bullets not performing properly.

Granted; these bullets were the “Premiums” back when I first started hunting in Africa as a client in 1974. And today, the consumer’s definition of “Premium” has changed considerably. But to the best of my knowledge… the anatomy of African fauna (such as a Kudu or the like) hasn’t.

To further put matters into perspective… in Tanzania, local hunters almost always use Sellier & Bellot rifle ammunition (Tanganyika Arms Limited seldom stocks any other brands) for their plains game harvesting purposes. This is as basic rifle ammunition as one can get, but most are pretty successful.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GarlandCha

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.