Politics

...I truly believe he's intimidated by his girlfriends friends.
Change my mind.
I sure am intimidated. They are either models or athletes. Here is a picture of one of her good friends. She is a multi-World champion (my paddleboard coach as well) and her muscles have muscles. She squats and deadlifts more weight than I. I keep my top on around her. :ROFLMAO:

1726676554684.jpeg

But now the barns are either in a dilapidated condition or are just simply gone as well as the corrals. The profit margins for livestock are so razor thin, there's just too much risk for too little profit for the small individual farmer. As such most of the farmers like my cousin have stopped raising livestock. Livestock is now the business of much larger corporate farms who rely on volume to overcome low profit margins to make money.
There are currently huge profit margins in beef. And milk. But this too shall change.

Poultry and to a growing degree pork is controlled by very large operators. Both However rely heavily on smaller farmers who build, own and operate most of the production facilities. What I dislike about those industries is that the birds and to a lesser degree, the hogs. are largely owned by larger operators and in some cases perhaps Corporations.

This does allow the smaller operators to operate with very low risk. They are paid to house and care for the critters and given substantial bonuses for superior performance such as feed efficiency, rate of gain, lower death loss.

And although some packers such as Cargill (a family owned business) do own and fatten cattle. (I once considered buying one of their feedlots they were selling... it was VERY well run). However very few beef and dairy farms are Corporate owned. Most of them are still family owned. Most are also in an entity just because it is good business but usually LLP's and LLC's... in other words Partnerships. Many as simple as a husband and wife. Many are parents and children. Some are neighbors. A few are a group of people who got together for various business reasons.

It takes a huge amount of capital to own and operate a modern and efficient farm or ranch today. In the case of poultry that has meant owning the processing facility, the birds and often the feed mill. However the barns are mostly owned (and operated) by small individual farmers who have leveraged their land to build the barn(s). In pork a common model is a large sow farm jointly owned or even in a co-op... or in some cases by one larger business. And the finishing barns owned by smaller operators who can either buy the small feeder pigs and sell/contract the finished hogs (and buy the feed). Or get paid to raise the pigs.

The capital required, land base for manure utilization, and labor required would be extremely massive for any one company to own and operate. And the need to have those facilities dispersed enough to properly spread the manure over enough acres would make it very difficult to manage. Furthermore this model allows concentration of capital to it's best use such as the processing facility.

Even huge oil companies partner up on really large projects because the capital outlay is too much individually. Both in volumes and risk. Everyone has limits.

Last edited:
Looks like Massachusetts has finally made the 2nd amendment about hunting. Now nonresident hunters have to have a firearm ID card to hunt. This will kill any outfitters.
Wow, now Africa has a better hunter firearm policy than MA. I looked at the requirements for Non-resident firearm ID card, pretty onerous and not worth the trouble seeing a hunter one can go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Exploding pagers

Israel’s original plan was to detonate the pagers in the event that it entered a full blown war with Hezbollah so that it would have a clear advantage at the outset of fighting, Al-Monitor reported.

However, Israel was forced to detonate the pagers quickly after it learned that two Hezbollah members figured out that the pagers had been breached.

When the first member of Hezbollah suspected foul play several days ago, he was killed. When the second member figured out that the devices had been compromised, Israel was forced to make a decision.

Hezbollah had their fighters switch to using pagers because they believed that Israel was monitoring their cell phone communications.

The U.S. was not alerted to the plan, presumably because Israel cannot trust the pro-Iran Biden-Harris administration.
Which is why the plan worked. The administration has to many rats in the wood pile…….

There are currently huge profit margins in beef. And milk. But this too shall change.

Poultry and to a growing degree pork is controlled by very large operators. Both However rely heavily on smaller farmers who build, own and operate most of the production facilities. What I dislike about those industries is that the birds and to a lesser degree, the hogs. are largely owned by larger operators and in some cases perhaps Corporations.

This does allow the smaller operators to operate with very low risk. They are paid to housemaid care for the critters and given substantial bonuses for superior performance such as feed efficiency, rate of gain, lower death loss.

And although some packers such as Cargill (a family owned business) do own and fatten cattle. (I once considered buying one of their feedlots they were selling... it was VERY well run). However very few beef and dairy farms are Corporate owned. Most of them are still family owned. Most are also in an entity just because it is good business but usually LLP's and LLC's... in other words Partnerships. Many as simple as a husband and wife. Many are parents and children. Some are neighbors. A few are a group of people who got together for various business reasons.

It takes a huge amount of capital to own and operate a modern and efficient farm or ranch today. In the case of poultry that has meant owning the processing facility, the birds and often the feed mill. However the barns are mostly owned (and operated) by small individual farmers who have leveraged their land to build the barn(s). In pork a common model is a large sow farm jointly owned or even in a co-op... or on some cases by one larger business. And the finishing barns owned by smaller operators who can either buy the small feeder pigs and sell/contract the finished hogs (and buy the feed). Or get paid to raise the pigs.

The capital required, land base for manure utilization, and labor required would be extremely massive for any one company to own and operate. And the need to have those facilities dispersed enough to properly spread the manure over enough acres would make it very difficult to manage. Furthermore this model allows concentration of capital to it's best use such as the processing facility.

Even huge oil companies partner up on really large projects because the capital outlay is too much individually. Both in volumes and risk. Everyone has limits.

You definitely know the business of farming better than I. That coming and going of profit margins….at some point it gets to be too much for the small farmer to handle I’d have to guess. Prices get hot, so you go out and borrow to get properly setup. About the time you finally start realizing a decent ROI, the prices drop. Depending on just how much your leveraged, the farm that’s been in the family name for a hundred years or more is now owned by the bank.

I certainly would not be surprised if some of the farmers there in western Iowa (Harlan area, where they had a huge tornado this year) have essentially become contractors to the big guys. If it makes business sense and comes at low risk. But you’d have to have maintained your infrastructure for livestock for it to make sense I’d think. Many of those small farmers like my cousin have shut that down. The only building outside of the house are to house machinery or silos / corn bins.

It’s basically gone. That had to be multiple missile strikes. They almost certainly would have had internal partitioning to prevent spread of fire/explosions.

You're trying to think logically and not thinking like the Russian government.

Partition walls....We don't need no stinking partition walls. We can house more miss-iles if we eliminate the partition walls. :cool:

I’m wondering if we could convince the Israelis to go after the scammers who haunt our site!

Looks like Massachusetts has finally made the 2nd amendment about hunting. Now nonresident hunters have to have a firearm ID card to hunt. This will kill any outfitters.

Wow, now Africa has a better hunter firearm policy than MA. I looked at the requirements for Non-resident firearm ID card, pretty onerous and not worth the trouble seeing a hunter one can go somewhere else.
There’s hunting in Massachusetts? Who knew? Luckily for me, Massachusetts isn’t on my bucket list.

This is actually worse than NJ, not an impressive thing to tout.

NJ you just have to buy the nonresident hunting license and as long as your firearm is state legal? Have at it. Granted, the most popular thing for NR's to hunt here is waterfowl.

The Thomas brief will shred any of these laws. NJ is into the thick of the dismantling process. Problem is, it still takes time.

There’s hunting in Massachusetts? Who knew? Luckily for me, Massachusetts isn’t on my bucket list.

The only niche hunting worth doing there is sea ducks. You can bag some really nice eiders, old squaw, and even a king eider near the northern end of the coast. That's probably their one unique species. Everything else is garden variety. Fishing, that's another story.

Evidently there is some pretty good waterfowling in Mass. especially for sea ducks and Atlantic brant. But they easily obtained elsewhere. For me it was Maine and New Jersey.

Realistically, some of these costs are not going to go down significantly, if at all, regardless of who is President. Majority of cost increases were during the first couple of years of the administration (as can be seen from yearly inflation numbers). Inflation for the last 12 months have been at 2.5% (2.1% in 2020).

Assuming inflation holds steady or goes lower then increases will keep pace with inflation, but prices will not go down as a huge number of workers got raises and companies are not going to ask them to roll the raises back so prices could be less.

Interest rates are based on the Fed which is lowering rates (just cut by 50 basis points as I was typing) and has plans to keep lowering them, so they will go down. Energy costs are mainly based on the World spot market so they will fluctuate based on that.

On the plus side as the dollar gets stronger, imported items will cost less. I am already seeing that in my business. We just placed orders for equipment sourced in China and paying 10+% less than when we quoted the project to our client just 6 months ago. That can help with shopping at places like Walmart, Target etc..

I’m wondering if we could convince the Israelis to go after the scammers who haunt our site!

As good as the Israeli trojan horse was on all of the pagers, the all time greatest (and biggest bang) was the US CIA vs Russia.

Thomas Reed, senior US national security official who later became Secretary of the Air Force, claims in his book “At The Abyss” that the United States allowed the USSR to steal pipeline control software from a Canadian company. This software included a Trojan Horse that caused a major explosion of the Trans-Siberian gas pipeline in June, 1982. The Trojan ran during a pressure test on the pipeline but doubled the usual pressure, causing the explosion. (#1, #2)
“In order to disrupt the Soviet gas supply, its hard currency earnings from the West, and the internal Russian economy, the pipeline software that was to run the pumps, turbines, and valves was programmed to go haywire, after a decent interval, to reset pump speeds and valve settings to produce pressures far beyond those acceptable to pipeline joints and welds,” Reed writes. (#3)
The scheme to plant bugs in Soviet software was masterminded by Gus Weiss, who at the time was on the National Security Council and who died last year. Soviet agents had been so keen to acquire US technology, they didn’t question its provenance. (#4)
Russian newspaper sources deny the report, saying an explosion did take place, but it was caused by poor construction, not by planted software. “What the Americans have written is rubbish,” said Vasily Pchelintsev, who in 1982 headed the KGB office in the Tyumen region, the likely site of the explosion described in the book.”

The software sabotage had two effects, explains Reed. The first was economic. By creating an explosion with the power of a three kiloton nuclear weapon, the US disrupted supplies of gas and consequential foreign currency earnings. But the project also had important psychological advantages in the battle between the two superpowers.

“By implication, every cell of the Soviet leviathan might be infected,” Reed writes. “They had no way of knowing which equipment was sound, which was bogus. All was suspect, which was the intended endgame for the entire operation.”

[th]
[/th]​

Thomas Reed, senior US national security official who later became Secretary of the Air Force, claims in his book “At The Abyss” that the United States allowed the USSR to steal pipeline control software from a Canadian company. This software included a Trojan Horse that caused a major explosion of the Trans-Siberian gas pipeline in June, 1982.

This brings back memories. We were supposed to provide that software for the Russians and had a contract in place with John Brown Engineering, but had to back out due to the sanctions by Reagan. So, the French and other European companies got the business. I was furious at the time as I was looking forward to that project along with multiple employees.

How stupid one can get? Shutting government down just weeks before the election is political malpractice. First, GOP will get blamed for it, secondly it will suck the news cycles away from the Presidential election. Unfortunately, it will be the swing districts that will go Democrat instead of the House Chaos Caucus that are in safe districts. I guess they will keep rattling their sabers as the permanent members of the perpetual minority party.

You definitely know the business of farming better than I. That coming and going of profit margins….at some point it gets to be too much for the small farmer to handle I’d have to guess. Prices get hot, so you go out and borrow to get properly setup. About the time you finally start realizing a decent ROI, the prices drop. Depending on just how much your leveraged, the farm that’s been in the family name for a hundred years or more is now owned by the bank.

I certainly would not be surprised if some of the farmers there in western Iowa (Harlan area, where they had a huge tornado this year) have essentially become contractors to the big guys. If it makes business sense and comes at low risk. But you’d have to have maintained your infrastructure for livestock for it to make sense I’d think. Many of those small farmers like my cousin have shut that down. The only building outside of the house are to house machinery or silos / corn bins.
Phil during good times, prices can be contracted to hedge against a severely downturn. Some do (we do) and a lot don't. That is much more about personal choice than size or scale. Although with size and scale come larger risk thus more incentive to hedge. Higher debt level also pushes one to hedge more... but again it is a choice some choose not to participate in. It does have additional cost in the form of brokerage fees, margin calls or fees to cover those, and interest on money tied up. But this is NOT size specific. If you do not have enough scale to fill a contract. There are co-ops and other companies who will facilitate smaller trades or even facilitate direct forward contracting. Your example is a perfect reason to hedge. If prices are good and you are investing based on that, especially borrowing, why would you not protect margins to ensure success?

I've actually tried to time a lot of my expansions to build during a down cycle. It is generally cheaper and more likely to catch the up curve once completed.

The human side and lifestyle has much more to do with farms exiting the business, especially the livestock business. Although a great place to raise kids with a good work ethic, a small livestock farm can be a dreadful lifestyle trap. Very difficult to take a family vacation when that family is the sole labor source and the livestock requires daily care. Those kids with those strong work ethics are highly desired in the workplace and often offered very good jobs. Compared to going into debt and working 7 days per week they more often than not choose the off farm job.

The only way to get out of that lifestyle trap is to expand the operation enough to either involve enough family members or hire employees so that even the owners can take time off. Of course that requires larger investment and most often large debt. Not everyone is wired to handle that. Very often the parents do not want to risk their equity to borrow for an expansion. Thus the farm stagnates and eventually goes out of business. Or as you referenced, becomes a crop farm.... which normally requires renting land from others who quit farming. With modern machinery, a mom and pop crop operation with one kid or employee can be 10,000 acres. They have to pay for that new JD combine and big Quad Track tractor somehow;)

As to your second paragraph, you really don't understand;) The infrastructure that went away needed to.. it was largely Civil War to 1950's era technology. I love the look of the old hip roof barns but they are obsolete. Would you suggest Civil War era medical tools be used as the primary tools in health care today?

Those old livestock facilities would be like Walmart using this as it's model store:)
Zimbabwe grocery store.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanPalmer

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?