Politics

1658502279639.png

Got that whole general officer thing all figured out? Look I agree his technique blows and I am not sure about "full semi-automatic." But he is making a point that all of us should, I think, understand.

But a little background first. He was a cavalryman (armor officer and West Point graduate). Outstanding soldier. Holds a purple heart and four bronze stars among other awards. He was S3 (operations officer) of 1-1 Cav 1st Armored Div where he was wounded during the battle of Medina Ridge. A battle in which I was S3 of 75th Field Artillery Bde. We put about 150 MLRS rockets over his shoulder in support of that fight. He eventually commanded 1st Armored Division during the Surge in 07/08 in Iraq. Throughout his career he had a reputation as a soldier first focused commander - the antithesis of a political general. He finished up as the commanding general USAREUR. His rifle technique may not please you, but I bet he could still put a 120mm main gun round between your eyes at 3 klicks.

But with respect to the point he is making. There are indeed people in this country who have no business having access to an AR15 - many of whom are 17-25 year old wannabe's caught up in their own online and dysfunctional family fantasies. And we better help figure it out, or eventually, a large enough majority will sort it out for us.

RedLeg,

Firstly I am sorry if my post came across as disparaging towards general officers or Hertling as a general/soldier. That was not my intent. For instance, I am sure we may disagree on some political issues, but all your posts be they related to geopolitics, hunting, firearms, life in general etc... are always very informative, and they really are a treasure trove of knowledge. I have nothing but respect for you and it really is a privilege to be able to interact with someone of your level of knowledge/expertise on this forum. I'm pretty sure I am not the only one who feels this way either...

Getting back to the post in question. I was just shocked by Hertling's level of ignorance/ inexperience when it comes to handling a rifle. He is handling that AR-15 like a total beginner would. I've seen guys who have not touched a gun for decades after they left the military display superb technique while shooting at the range. Once you learn to properly handle a firearm its not really a skill you lose- much like riding a bike.

The reason I thought he was in a non-combat MOS is that I had seen a few videos of his where he is talking about physical education, fitness, etc... and i think he was an advocate for the new Army Combat Fitness Test. Hence I figured that was his area of speciality/expertise. This is my fault for not checking his bio adequately.

With all that being said, when you gave his brief bio here I am even more shocked now. The fact that he was in a combat zone and was not a "political general" and even got wounded- why on Earth would he not take the time to learn how to handle a rifle properly ? I would imagine for a cavalryman, and for a "hands on" officer in a combat MOS, knowing how to handle a rifle would be a crucial and fairly basic skill. I would imagine most officers/soldiers in any combat MOS should know basic firearm handling no ? And I do not mean to disparage him at all, I am genuinely curious here...
As i can imagine it could be a pretty useful skill to have...

As far as the point about people who have no business owning a AR-15 I agree with you 100%. However i would not limit that to just an AR-15- those people should not have access to anything that could be used as a weapon period. In Toronto a few years back there was an idiot, who could not get laid and was angry at the world for it, who murdered about a dozen people using a u-haul van. These disturbed individuals will always find a way to kill someone if they are motivated enough. With or without an AR-15

You also have to want to fight.
It is not enough to put our green youth in green clothes.
The training is bleak, too.
For military night marches, if you bring a doctor's certificate, you are driven to the destination.....
You really have no idea what it's like here.
Did anyone notice that as long as the USA military was in Iraq they couldn't form police or army units that did anything?
After the USA military was withdrawn and Fauja was about to be taken by the Taliban or ISS? the Iraqi men suddenly knew how to fight and did.

RedLeg,

Firstly I am sorry if my post came across as disparaging towards general officers or Hertling as a general/soldier. That was not my intent. For instance, I am sure we may disagree on some political issues, but all your posts be they related to geopolitics, hunting, firearms, life in general etc... are always very informative, and they really are a treasure trove of knowledge. I have nothing but respect for you and it really is a privilege to be able to interact with someone of your level of knowledge/expertise on this forum. I'm pretty sure I am not the only one who feels this way either...

Getting back to the post in question. I was just shocked by Hertling's level of ignorance/ inexperience when it comes to handling a rifle. He is handling that AR-15 like a total beginner would. I've seen guys who have not touched a gun for decades after they left the military display superb technique while shooting at the range. Once you learn to properly handle a firearm its not really a skill you lose- much like riding a bike.

The reason I thought he was in a non-combat MOS is that I had seen a few videos of his where he is talking about physical education, fitness, etc... and i think he was an advocate for the new Army Combat Fitness Test. Hence I figured that was his area of speciality/expertise. This is my fault for not checking his bio adequately.

With all that being said, when you gave his brief bio here I am even more shocked now. The fact that he was in a combat zone and was not a "political general" and even got wounded- why on Earth would he not take the time to learn how to handle a rifle properly ? I would imagine for a cavalryman, and for a "hands on" officer in a combat MOS, knowing how to handle a rifle would be a crucial and fairly basic skill. I would imagine most officers/soldiers in any combat MOS should know basic firearm handling no ? And I do not mean to disparage him at all, I am genuinely curious here...
As i can imagine it could be a pretty useful skill to have...

As far as the point about people who have no business owning a AR-15 I agree with you 100%. However i would not limit that to just an AR-15- those people should not have access to anything that could be used as a weapon period. In Toronto a few years back there was an idiot, who could not get laid and was angry at the world for it, who murdered about a dozen people using a u-haul van. These disturbed individuals will always find a way to kill someone if they are motivated enough. With or without an AR-15
And I was entirely too snarky. My sincere apologies. It is just that I know Hertling a little bit and by reputation a great deal. We are part of a fairly small fraternity. He is about as quality a human being as you will ever meet - albeit a bit of a fitness nut. He served his country and the soldiers for whom he was responsible loyally and well for 37 years. He has never been afraid to hold opinions are to articulate them. You would not agree with all of them. Nor do I. But, to his credit, he has never catered to whom he was speaking. I think if you relook at the video, the guy in the blue shirt who has clearly never held weapon and is firing first, is the reporter.

Obviously. Firstshooter…would have had a had time buttering his toast .. let alone shooting an AR15. God help us with those citizens defending the constitution.

1658539962686.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonioHus

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?