Politics

Not sure that's the case. While there was a deep divide between slavers and abolitionists, most people were neither.

There was never great disagreement in those days about what Aristotle called "Eudaimonia," and that's precisely the fault line which separates us today. I do not believe there is a bridge across this chasm.
There are two aspects of the Civil War that are viewed today through revisionist eyes.
1. That slaves were mistreated by their owners
2. That slavery was the CAUSE of the Civil War.

Both ideas are incorrect. the source of the first was a mentally ill daughter of a New England preacher- whom even Lincoln considered her as the catalyst of the war. The reality was that mistreatment of slaves was a very rare occurrence and was generally the result of intraslave violence. Slaves were investments and were cared for in much better fashion that the present welfare system.

The cause of the Civil War was a result of the changes caused by the industrial revolution and the changes in wealth distribution. From the origins of the states through early 1800s the South was rich based on its agricultural economy. The North was relatively poor, serving primarily as port facilities. The federal government was funded primarily by the South. With the industrial revolution, the north transitioned to an industrial economy and surpassed the South in wealth accumulation. With that wealth the North had much more influence in federal policy. Those policies were adversarial to life in the South.

The South recalled that only seven decades earlier the states had agreed to invent the federal government and that the Constitution specifically stated the dominance of the states in those aspects not specifically enumerated to the federal government- the South decided to withdraw from the federal arrangement.

The war was fought to preserve the Union- not to abolish slavery.

Time travel to present day- the issues such as all of the bone-headed things that the DemonRats are pushing through the federal government are causing an alignment not unlike the Antebellum era. If the trend continues it is not unreasonable for the "fly-over" states to conclude that the federal arrangement is a losing deal and that the states would be better off without the federal government.

When that happens the fly-over states will lose allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. I suspect that the leaders of those states will be students of history and know that armed confrontation with the federal government is a losers choice so they will choose the path of Gandhi and Martin King Jr. a repeat of the shutdown due to the China Virus is possible with an exception. When the Feds do it, it's called a STRIKE. When the states band together and stop things, it's a LOCK-OUT.
Some of y’all don’t know what it is like to be down 28 to nothing 5 minutes into the 1st quarter and then watch your kids reach down and battle back.
We have two options. We are screwed and all we can do is lay down and die. The other option is to figure out a way to fix it. You might be surprised about what that 140lbs defensive tackle can do against 300lbs offensive lineman. After all, he is Audie Murphy size.

Reactions: WAB
Didn't say I was giving up.

"Still, if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.“ Winston Churchill

The ship sailed on the bold part a long, long time ago.

There are two aspects of the Civil War that are viewed today through revisionist eyes.

Both ideas are incorrect. the source of the first was a mentally ill daughter of a New England preacher- whom even Lincoln considered her as the catalyst of the war. The reality was that mistreatment of slaves was a very rare occurrence and was generally the result of intraslave violence. Slaves were investments and were cared for in much better fashion that the present welfare system.

The cause of the Civil War was a result of the changes caused by the industrial revolution and the changes in wealth distribution. From the origins of the states through early 1800s the South was rich based on its agricultural economy. The North was relatively poor, serving primarily as port facilities. The federal government was funded primarily by the South. With the industrial revolution, the north transitioned to an industrial economy and surpassed the South in wealth accumulation. With that wealth the North had much more influence in federal policy. Those policies were adversarial to life in the South.

The South recalled that only seven decades earlier the states had agreed to invent the federal government and that the Constitution specifically stated the dominance of the states in those aspects not specifically enumerated to the federal government- the South decided to withdraw from the federal arrangement.

The war was fought to preserve the Union- not to abolish slavery.

Time travel to present day- the issues such as all of the bone-headed things that the DemonRats are pushing through the federal government are causing an alignment not unlike the Antebellum era. If the trend continues it is not unreasonable for the "fly-over" states to conclude that the federal arrangement is a losing deal and that the states would be better off without the federal government.

When that happens the fly-over states will lose allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. I suspect that the leaders of those states will be students of history and know that armed confrontation with the federal government is a losers choice so they will choose the path of Gandhi and Martin King Jr. a repeat of the shutdown due to the China Virus is possible with an exception. When the Feds do it, it's called a STRIKE. When the states band together and stop things, it's a LOCK-OUT.

@Ray B you are correct (or at least I agree with you) that the US Civil War was fought to preserve the Union. Period. Some people will add that the root cause or the reason the south seceded from the Union was due to slavery and/or states rights.

Regarding your comment or opinion on the treatment of slaves by slave owners, I personally believe it's a discussion not worth having. Does anyone want to serve as a slave to another? Even if they are treated okay. Some slave owners probably took very good care of their slaves and others treated them quite poorly. Regardless, the institution of slavery, whether in biblical times, the 1800s in the southern US or anywhere today, is wrong.

1649811190822.png

the institution of slavery is wrong.

Just what I was saying- REVISIONIST history. People that claim slavery and slave owners are/were evil are merely looking at history through the prism of todays values.

Just give it a few years and most here will be considered evil for one thing or another that will be viewed in the future as evil.

1649813473138.png

1649814469003.png

1649821272795.png

This was a very interesting, but frightening read. The conclusion of the (democrat) researcher that upwards of 25% of elections as from 2015 were being swayed by the Google algorithms in one or the other direction, probably also translates to any other number of sensitive topics…

And this guy is a heavyweight in his domain… and has been for years.

This was a very interesting, but frightening read. The conclusion of the (democrat) researcher that upwards of 25% of elections as from 2015 were being swayed by the Google algorithms in one or the other direction, probably also translates to any other number of sensitive topics…

Fox news aired the Google guy that said they could influence 50 million votes. I believe this was during the trump/biden election. It caused no stir at all.

Fox news aired the Google guy that said they could influence 50 million votes. I believe this was during the trump/biden election. It caused no stir at all.
Yep. However], because there is no real control group, proving their influence is almost impossible. It would also require the subjects to admit they are easily manipulated tools of a software program.

Although not directly related to the Civil War, there is a third false narrative that revisionists perpetuate in that the institution of slavery was invented by Caucasians and began in the Colonies. You may or may not be surprised to learn how many people don't realize or acknowledge that the institution of slavery has been around since the beginning of man's existence, and has been a world-wide practice by the vast majority of races, ethnicities and cultures throughout that time.

Ironically, there was plenty of slavery in practice among the many native North, Central, and South American native cultures long before the white Europeans arrived.

Just what I was saying- REVISIONIST history. People that claim slavery and slave owners are/were evil are merely looking at history through the prism of todays values.

Just give it a few years and most here will be considered evil for one thing or another that will be viewed in the future as evil.

Excellent point. Agree 100%..! The lens of time and the perspective it offers is a lost concept to most folks regardless of political ideology.

I just finished our taxes last night. Let's just say I could have paid for a very nice hunt with what Uncle Sam is getting (in addition to what he already took).

I don’t even want to look at my figure…
And as a % of income, it is even more infuriating at 55%… and then we add 21%VAT on everything, property and local taxes, etc etc… it’s a wonder I ever get to go on safari! :s

Free shit.jpeg

Pig slaughter.jpg

I just finished our taxes last night. Let's just say I could have paid for a very nice hunt with what Uncle Sam is getting (in addition to what he already took).
same here. very frustrating. i could have helped pay my kids tuition for med school and law school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohannaWil

Latest profile posts

rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,