Politics

I see self check outs brought up frequently in discussions. And supposed loss of jobs.
Obviously I can't speak of the entire country but I've worked in grocery stores most of my life. 37 years.
If it wasn't for the self check outs you'd have even emptier shelves. Nobody lost thier job. They just got a different job. We're usually 20 employees short at all times. Every store in at least western Colorado is the same.
I've worked 6+ days a week for 25 years due to lack of employees. Nobody wants to work.
We do start even baggers at $20 an hour btw.
I'm just the produce dpt manager and make a petty good living. My department is usually 40 to 100 hours per week understaffed depending on the season.
Everyone demands we get paid better wages and hire more non existent employees then turn around and complain about prices going up.
Anyway, just my thoughts on that. If anyone wants a job here you'll get hired immediately.

Let’s also not forget “the great resignation” a couple of years ago where millions of labor class employees just said I won’t work for less than X and quit… perfectly willing to live off govt subsistence..

Which in turn spurned many businesses to invest huge amounts of money into automation because they couldn’t find people willing to work for reasonable wages..

Walmart in particular put in tens of thousands of additional self check out kiosks during that time period..

Fast forward a few years… everyone wants to bitch about a computer checking you out and Walmart not hiring enough entry level laborers…

Well.. they invested millions of dollars when no one wanted to work.. those costs are sunk… they are now recouping those costs and have no intention of incurring more costs putting people into jobs where they are no longer needed..

I see self check outs brought up frequently in discussions. And supposed loss of jobs.
Obviously I can't speak of the entire country but I've worked in grocery stores most of my life. 37 years.
If it wasn't for the self check outs you'd have even emptier shelves. Nobody lost thier job. They just got a different job. We're usually 20 employees short at all times. Every store in at least western Colorado is the same.
I've worked 6+ days a week for 25 years due to lack of employees. Nobody wants to work.
We do start even baggers at $20 an hour btw.
I'm just the produce dpt manager and make a petty good living. My department is usually 40 to 100 hours per week understaffed depending on the season.
Everyone demands we get paid better wages and hire more non existent employees then turn around and complain about prices going up.
Anyway, just my thoughts on that. If anyone wants a job here you'll get hired immediately.

Let’s also not forget “the great resignation” a couple of years ago where millions of labor class employees just said I won’t work for less than X and quit… perfectly willing to live off govt subsistence..

Which in turn spurned many businesses to invest huge amounts of money into automation because they couldn’t find people willing to work for reasonable wages..

Walmart in particular put in tens of thousands of additional self check out kiosks during that time period..

Fast forward a few years… everyone wants to bitch about a computer checking you out and Walmart not hiring enough entry level laborers…

Well.. they invested millions of dollars when no one wanted to work.. those costs are sunk… they are now recouping those costs and have no intention of incurring more costs putting people into jobs where they are no longer needed..
Exactly! Both posts are spot on. I travel often between Texas and Minnesota and I have been driving those areas and West to the Dakota's and Colorado, Certainly Western Kansas. East to Indiana and even Georgia and Florida. Since 2013 there has always been a lot of help wanted signs. Probably the least right now that I've seen in 11 years.

And as for self checkouts, I was born impatient. I often appreciate the option. Now Sams Club has an app that lets you scan your items as you put them into the cart. That is handy! You pay with a credit card and it brings up a bar code that you show at the door instead of your receipt. You get a receipt emailed to you.

I was in there that crazy day the dock workers strike started and pushed my cart around all the lines and right to the door. In fact I had a 6 foot tall Nutcracker that I knew would make Gina's day and asked for help loading it and a young man trotted right over to help!

It is definitely two different things to have people unemployed and people willing to work!

Last edited:
LOL, it was a tough night in Bama for sure, but man, you’ve got to hand it to Vanderbilt. They played us tougher than Georgia. Not only that, they out-coached us badly.
Tough one for the whole state, Alabama, Auburn, South Alabama, UAB and Troy all lost. BUT Vanderbilt? I guess we’ll (Auburn) get ours in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Another HUGE turnout in Butler, PA.
With the 30 day countdown to the election, all I can say Mr. President, is watch your 6.
The deep state is not finished with you
We watched the whole thing on TV...Trump's opening line. "As I was saying..."

Elon Musk was fantastic! Really hit home on the 1st and 2nd Amendments. And commented on how you will not have democracy without free speech and that the 2nd is there to ensure the 1st.

And yesterday Hillary Clinton was talking about how free speech must be controlled. She actually said "If we do not monitor and moderate content on social media, we will lose control".... Yeah Bitch! That is the idea! To keep you from having control over us!

And maybe you military guys can relate when Musk said you can tell the character of a person by their behavior under fire. On one hand you have a President who can't find the stairs. And on the hand you have a President who is fist pumping after being shot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jolandon24

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]