Politics

I have absolute empathy and compassion for your situation. Nearly 10% of the underage population is diagnosed with ADHD. Obviously, a significant percentage of that group are exactly as you describe. I also believe the majority of our health care providers are dedicated professionals deeply committed to the ( hypocritic ) oath.

However, this country also has the highest percentage of children living in one parent homes (23% to 7% worldwide). In almost 50% of the remaining two parent families, both parents work. These environmental factors and a host of others ranging from X boxes to Covid isolation also inevitably affect behavior. My issue and our experience has been rather than explore root causes, the course of least resistance is to all too often to provide a medication.
Freudian slip Joe? LOL

I guess I work my Mannlicher action differently, not requiring extra steps.

Palm along the stock after pulling the trigger. This lifts the bolt. Rotate wrist clockwise, you're now grasping the bolt, palm up. Pull. Push. Rotate wrist anti-clockwise and slap the bolt down. Finger on the trigger and fire.

Yes, indeed.

The legendary smoothness of the MS 'action' is assisted by the fact that the bolt handle is near center of bolt rather than at the rear. A forward movement of trigger hand as described by Panzer works precisely as he described. I tend to flick the handle upward with 'one fingerer salute' finger which pops it up smartly, rearward pull is like hot butter on glass as is forward nudge (they do close and lock themselves when tilted downward 45 degrees or less).

The Carcano HAS a Mannlicher action.

What, exactly, do you consider to be a "Mannlicher action"?

The Carcano was designed and manufactured in Italy and 'borrowed' from successful military rifle / carbine designs of prior years. Many of the successful innovations prior to design of the Carcano Fusile Modelo 1891 were those of Ritter Ferdinand von Mannlicher and Paul Mauser.

The most 'Mannlicher' thing about the Carcano was that it used, as it was referred to at the time, the Mannlicher Packet Loading System, or 'En Bloc'. Was the M1 Garand a 'Mannlicher'?

Not really.
It is sometimes called the Carcano Mannlicher but only because the original design incorporated some Mannlicher and Mauser features, the magazine, stripper clips etc., but the design of the action is Italian, and they were built in Italy.
Mannlicher nor Steyr had anything to do with it.

Correct and accurate except for the fact that the 1891 Carcano Fusile Modello 1891 and successor models through 1941 used the Mannlicher Packet Loading System, A.K.A. 'en bloc clip' rather than 'stripper clips' as used on 1898 Mauser and Mannlicher Schoenauer.

Your overall point, however, is quite valid. A Carcano is not a Mannlicher.

Between the processed food diet here in the U.S.

The spastic, frenetic style of child’s games and TV cartoons.

The scene on the screen changes so rapidly and repeatedly that the young undeveloped brain is under siege from confusion and chaos. The brain will always calibrate to the current situation.

When the brain is first overwhelmed, and in a stressful situation, it can’t cope but it soon learns to block things out and pretty soon those normally stressful situations are just zoned out. Risk Tolerance

Combat, or anything normally overwhelming to humans does this. If the brain didn’t block out the noise it would drive you crazy.

I think this overstimulation recalibrates the young brain

But besides all of that. there has always been people that learn different ways. And not the way of the typical education model
Our schools have failed these type of kids for decades.

We need a direct path to the trades for the kids wired more to use their hands and brains at the same time.

I work 5 days a week with children who present with all these labels

It is difficult to understand the origins of their ‘conditions’

Usually they get to me after having been removed from mainstream school and can’t easily cope in schools for children with ''special educational needs''

I’ve found there is (if not a causational link) an exacerbation of their condition as a consequence of a range of factors

Chaotic family circumstances
Poor discipline in both family and school
Inability to concentrate - (phones and the internet are definitely an issue)
Lack of self esteem - many have 'learned to fail' when they come to me

The stuff we do here is based around bushcraft, range shooting and 4 x 4 driving

it is geared towards developing personal responsibility, concentration, teamwork and trust

Some still try and be the smart arse - they are given a choice - grow up or push off

I don't (can't!) tolerate bullshit - what we do is potentially dangerous

If they stick with it they all learn to shoot .22LR (most can hit a 1" gong at 100m 'some' of the time)

I also try and teach them a bit of ballistics, car maintenance, reversing a trailer

Several struggle to add up their scores on the target - a few can't add 9 plus 3 - even at 13 years old!

One of the 'fun exercises' I run is placing a competent driver in the jeep with an adult in the passenger seat

The driver is blindfolded and receives instructions from his team mate in order to navigate a course

They learn team work, trust, thinking ahead, giving precise instructions, using a radio

Been doing it now for 8 years

One lad sleeps all day at school - he uses sleep as a way of disengaging

Here he is different fella all together

Mostly moving directly away from him, if he was in fact one of the shooters. The shots would not have been easy, but doable for a reasonably competent shooter,, again.. if he was one of the shooters.
We may never know for certain, but someone did it.
A few years back I found myself in Dealey Plaza late of an afternoon. Not many people around. Very little traffic. The retaining wall where Zapruder stood as he shot his video is still there, as are many other landmarks; ie trees, lampposts, etc. I climbed up on the wall and stood just as he did. Pulled up the Zapruder video and watched it as I stood with the same vantage point. Watched it several times, trying to match details from the past with the present. The location of the limo at the 1st and 2nd shot are marked on the street below. I must say that it was a chilling experience and very emotional. Not something I expected of myself at all. I’m glad I did it.

Bowji, I think once a kid gets a little behind the curve in school. Then feels lesser than. Or stupid. They quickly disengage and act like they don’t care. When it’s more of a way to protect themselves.

Saying, I don’t learn because I don’t care. When in all reality they are not grasping the subject as easily as their peers. And deep down feel they are stupid. Those kids need to be pulled from that environment quickly. Or they completely quit trying to keep up. And act up to act like they don’t care.

I’m not in the business of kids or education just my observations

IDK in this video, but he's used a bunch - 270, 30-06, etc. He's shooting a straight pull in this video - Blaser, Heym, Mauser...IDK, I'm not around high end guns much.

He's descended of German royalty, so he pretty much shoots whatever he wants.
I think I would want to use a Benelli R1 in that circumstance. I've never shot one but the fact they make it in .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM may be a reason to buy one. Of course, a .308 WINCHESTER would be ideal in the hunting of the MANY boars in the video.

Last edited:
I work 5 days a week with children who present with all these labels

It is difficult to understand the origins of their ‘conditions’

Usually they get to me after having been removed from mainstream school and can’t easily cope in schools for children with ''special educational needs''

I’ve found there is (if not a causational link) an exacerbation of their condition as a consequence of a range of factors

Chaotic family circumstances
Poor discipline in both family and school
Inability to concentrate - (phones and the internet are definitely an issue)
Lack of self esteem - many have 'learned to fail' when they come to me

The stuff we do here is based around bushcraft, range shooting and 4 x 4 driving

it is geared towards developing personal responsibility, concentration, teamwork and trust

Some still try and be the smart arse - they are given a choice - grow up or push off

I don't (can't!) tolerate bullshit - what we do is potentially dangerous

If they stick with it they all learn to shoot .22LR (most can hit a 1" gong at 100m 'some' of the time)

I also try and teach them a bit of ballistics, car maintenance, reversing a trailer

Several struggle to add up their scores on the target - a few can't add 9 plus 3 - even at 13 years old!

One of the 'fun exercises' I run is placing a competent driver in the jeep with an adult in the passenger seat

The driver is blindfolded and receives instructions from his team mate in order to navigate a course

They learn team work, trust, thinking ahead, giving precise instructions, using a radio

Been doing it now for 8 years

One lad sleeps all day at school - he uses sleep as a way of disengaging

Here he is different fella all together

I couldn't deal with kids like that, kudos to you. ....bob

I think I would want to use a Benelli R1 in that circumstance. I've never shot one but the fact they make it in .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM may be a reason to buy one. Of course, a .308 WINCHESTER would be ideal in the hunting of the MANY boars in the video.

I think for most hunters, a Ruger #1 has more than enough magazine capacity for hog hunting. ;)

YMMV

I think for most hunters, a Ruger #1 has more than enough magazine capacity for hog hunting. ;)

YMMV

*sigh... I aspire to own one someday... As much as I like blued guns, stainless would make a lot more sense up here. Caliber? Not a clue.

*sigh... I aspire to own one someday... As much as I like blued guns, stainless would make a lot more sense up here. Caliber? Not a clue.
.338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM!

YMMV
20220212_180056.jpg

I find a Ruger No.1 to be lacking in capacity when I encounter a whole pack of hogs.

The American in .308 works as a solid substitute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EuniceHill

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with