Politics

Doesn’t that show you that the forward control is non existent. Either there were no experienced soldiers/leaders in those vehicles or leading them from behind.

Could they have been poorly trained civilians pressed into action?
Setting aside operational level blunders like the advance on Kyiv at the start of the war, Russian tactical level leadership is abysmal. The Russian Army has no professional NCO corps as we understand it. Even before the war, a soldier on his second enlistment was considered first sergeant material. Lieutenants do the jobs of senior NCOs. Add to that a strictly hierarchal command structure - i.e. no one does anything unless ordered and only what was ordered. Subordinate initiative, as we understand it in the American Army, is unheard of in Russian forces.

Their trained, modernized formations built around Battalion Tactical Groups were essentially destroyed during the first year of the war. They then emptied their training structure of experienced soldiers and officers to fill those gaping wounds. When mobilization was declared a year ago, the training structure was virtually useless and many, likely most, of those newly minted troops went to the front lines with only a week or two of familiarization with an assault rifle and RPG.

During the same period, Ukrainian troops have been undergoing extensive individual and unit collective training across NATO. This does not count the half dozen brigades that were fully Western trained before the invasion. As a result, the UA has been inflicting enormously disproportionate casualties on the attacking Russian formations.

A great source to go look at is Oryx. https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html?m=1 Since the start of the war, they have tracked Russian and Ukrainian combat equipment losses. Something only makes the list if there is clear photographic evidence. With no access at all to the Russian military, their losses are likely significantly undercounted. As of this morning, Oryx lists 2,608 Russian tanks destroyed severely damaged or captured. Best Western analysis at the start of the war was that Russia entered into the conflict with around 3500 modernized tanks. DOD provided a conservative estimate of a couple of weeks ago that Russia had suffered over 300,000 casualties to date. I suspect that too is significantly undercounted.

Furthermore, the kremlin has been forced to hide as many of these casualties as possible. The battlefield is littered with Russian dead that no attempt has been made to recover. Wives and mothers are told their child is missing, or the unit is not allowed to contact home due to operational needs. As the bodies pile up, this lie will become ever harder to maintain.

All of this is why I find the suddenly popular notion that Putin can easily win a war of attrition so ludicrous. I am convinced, and I am hardly alone among my peers, that the Kremlin is approaching desperation. The Black Sea Fleet has been defeated and driven from the sea. Thin about that a moment. Russian forces have made no significant gains in 18 months while experiencing ever accelerating losses in personnel that can't be replaced without a national mobilization that Putin does not dare call.

His only real hope to achieve his strategic goals are the Republican party and Donald J Trump. Ronald Reagan would be sick to his stomach.

Attachments

• Attack On Europe: Documenting Russian Equipment Losses During The Russian Invasion Of Ukraine ...pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
When that first vehicle blew, it was crazy to see that dark piece of something go flying for what appeared to be a couple hundred yards. Wow!
A roadwheel - about 200 lbs of steel.

Setting aside operational level blunders like the advance on Kyiv at the start of the war, Russian tactical level leadership is abysmal. The Russian Army has no professional NCO corps as we understand it. Even before the war, a soldier on his second enlistment was considered first sergeant material. Lieutenants do the jobs of senior NCOs. Add to that a strictly hierarchal command structure - i.e. no one does anything unless ordered and only what was ordered. Subordinate initiative, as we understand it in the American Army, is unheard of in Russian forces.

Their trained, modernized formations built around Battalion Tactical Groups were essentially destroyed during the first year of the war. They then emptied their training structure of experienced soldiers and officers to fill those gaping wounds. When mobilization was declared a year ago, the training structure was virtually useless and many, likely most, of those newly minted troops went to the front lines with only a week or two of familiarization with an assault rifle and RPG.

During the same period, Ukrainian troops have been undergoing extensive individual and unit collective training across NATO. This does not count the half dozen brigades that were fully Western trained before the invasion. As a result, the UA has been inflicting enormously disproportionate casualties on the attacking Russian formations.

A great source to go look at is Oryx. https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html?m=1 Since the start of the war, they have tracked Russian and Ukrainian combat equipment losses. Something only makes the list if there is clear photographic evidence. With no access at all to the Russian military, their losses are likely significantly undercounted. As of this morning, Oryx lists 2,608 Russian tanks destroyed severely damaged or captured. Best Western analysis at the start of the war was that Russia entered into the conflict with around 3500 modernized tanks. DOD provided a conservative estimate of a couple of weeks ago that Russia had suffered over 300,000 casualties to date. I suspect that too is significantly undercounted.

Furthermore, the kremlin has been forced to hide as many of these casualties as possible. The battlefield is littered with Russian dead that no attempt has been made to recover. Wives and mothers are told their child is missing, or the unit is not allowed to contact home due to operational needs. As the bodies pile up, this lie will become ever harder to maintain.

All of this is why I find the suddenly popular notion that Putin can easily win a war of attrition so ludicrous. I am convinced, and I am hardly alone among my peers, that the Kremlin is approaching desperation. The Black Sea Fleet has been defeated and driven from the sea. Thin about that a moment. Russian forces have made no significant gains in 18 months while experiencing ever accelerating losses in personnel that can't be replaced without a national mobilization that Putin does not dare call.

His only real hope to achieve his strategic goals are the Republican party and Donald J Trump. Ronald Reagan would be sick to his stomach.
It seems the Russian Army still operates the same way as it did during WW2. Western armies still encourage initiative by NCO's.

So Russia can’t fight their way out of a paper bag but if Trump gets elected Russia will suddenly be catapulted to victory?
He and his fellow travelers want to cut off aid to Ukraine. That isn't even debatable. The House has already halted it as a political maneuver. We will seize defeat from the jaws of victory, and we will hand Russia and Putin a strategic victory of staggering proportions. One for which your children and grand children will pay the bill. Ronald Reagan would both sickened and incredulous.

Last edited:
.375 Ruger, watching that video makes me think what that door gunner is thinking. “Man I’m getting paid to do this !”

When ever someone says “thank you for your service” to me, I first say you’re welcome then tell them. It’s a good thing no one ever found out I would have paid to do my job.

Tell me this guy pictured isn’t saying. I’m Finally using my training.

IMG_2849.jpeg
IMG_2850.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
He and his fellow travelers want to cut off aid to Ukraine. That isn't even debatable. The House has already halted it as a political maneuver. We will seize defeat from the jaws of victory, and we will hand Russia and Putin a strategic victory of staggering proportions. One for which your children and grand children will pay the bill. Ronald Reagan would both sickened and incredulous.
^^^This^^^ is what I can't get my "only Trump" friends and fellow Republicans to grasp. One of my closest friends buys into the Douglas MacGregor viewpoint whole-hog and is absolutely convinced that a massive Russian victory over Ukraine will happen at any moment. Needless to say, we have agreed to disagree.

.375 Ruger, watching that video makes me think what that door gunner is thinking. “Man I’m getting paid to do this !”

When ever someone says “thank you for your service” to me, I first say you’re welcome then tell them. It’s a good thing no one ever found out I would have paid to do my job.

Tell me this guy pictured isn’t saying. I’m Finally using my training.
I think the door gunner was thinking, "This 50 cal is awesome, but if it was a 35 Whelen it would really rock!"

^^^This^^^ is what I can't get my "only Trump" friends and fellow Republicans to grasp. One of my closest friends buys into the Douglas MacGregor viewpoint whole-hog and is absolutely convinced that a massive Russian victory over Ukraine will happen at any moment. Needless to say, we have agreed to disagree.
MacGregor is the worst. I served at the same time he did. He is the sort of embittered retired military officer this country periodically produces. Self-indulgently convinced of his own brilliance, he concluded that the US defense establishment in general and the Army in particularly were incompetent, even corrupt, for not selecting him for brigade command and eventual General Officer. He subsequently has made a living criticizing the US military and praising the Russians. He has been quite popular for more than a decade over on the R1 network inside Russia. Because it fit the narrative he was selling, Tucker Carlson gave him a soap box to address Trump World here in the States. It is revealing that Tucker never had on GEN(Ret) Jack Keane, who is on contract to Fox, because he would have systematically and irrefutably dismantled Tucker's Ukraine narrative.

Add to that a strictly hierarchal command structure - i.e. no one does anything unless ordered and only what was ordered. Subordinate initiative, as we understand it in the American Army, is unheard of in Russian forces.
Red Leg, you are always catching my interest, and I appreciate your analysis.

As for this system of command, or tactics:
Does this goes unchanged since WW2, or this was cold war doctrine, or is it modernized fresh doctrine?

MacGregor is the worst. I served at the same time he did. He is the sort of embittered retired military officer this country periodically produces. Self-indulgently convinced of his own brilliance, he concluded that the US defense establishment in general and the Army in particularly were incompetent, even corrupt, for not selecting him for brigade command and eventual General Officer. He subsequently has made a living criticizing the US military and praising the Russians. He has been quite popular for more than a decade over on the R1 network inside Russia. Because it fit the narrative he was selling, Tucker Carlson gave him a soap box to address Trump World here in the States. It is revealing that Tucker never had on GEN(Ret) Jack Keane, who is on contract to Fox, because he would have systematically and irrefutably dismantled Tucker's Ukraine narrative.

I watched a recent YouTube interview with Douglas MacGregor. I noticed most of the comments from viewers were either in Russian or poor English from Russian named posters. Most of the posts were singing the praises of MacGregor and trashing the US military and US in general. Quite humorous.

Red Leg, you are always catching my interest, and I appreciate your analysis.

As for this system of command, or tactics:
Does this goes unchanged since WW2, or this was cold war doctrine, or is it modernized fresh doctrine?
I actually think it is cultural more than anything. For 250 years, American armies have been composed of free thinking individuals who responded best to motivation and training rather than coercion and rigid obedience. Russian military culture evolved from armies of serfs bound to a hierarchal structure. I think both those traditions continue to be represented today.

Describes a lot of the military leaders this country produces.
It describes a few, Mark Clark and George McClellan come immediately to mind, but personally I think that is largely wrong. Generally, American troops have been pretty well led over those two plus centuries.

Last edited:
My only thought on it is that if Russia can’t easily beat Ukraine as poorly trained and ill equipped they are that the thought of Russia trying to take Europe and nato is laughable at best.

It describes a few, Mark Clark and George McClellan come immediately to mind, but personally I think that is largely wrong. Generally, American troops have been pretty well led over those two plus centuries.

Mclellan's Peninsula campaign is forever one of those WTF operations....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blaubeerchen44

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg