Plains Game Ammo

Factory ammo: I've had tremendous success with Federal Premium lines in either the Trophy Bonded Tip and/or Terminal Ascent line and highly recommend those. Hornady Superformance line has also been good to me, generally with the SST bullet.

Handloads, if you can't get your hands on the above bullets from Federal, they have a similar construction to the Nosler Partition, which is always good. And, again, SST is generally a reliable option for me.

Some people confuse quality with price tag. Quality is basically the ability to perform the task at hand. If I drove a new Cadillac two blocks to church this morning, would it have done a better job getting me there than my 1999 Jimmy? No. But I know one congregant who is convinced his new car is better than my old rust bucket. Better how? It looks better. Consequently, people think he's top shelf because he drives a top shelf vehicle. But at the end of the day what people think of him really has nothing to do with getting to church on time.

Just because I don't buy expensive ammo doesn't mean I'm risking messing up my safari. Cup and core lead has served me well over a half century of hunting. I have tried loading Barnes for my 30-06 but they don't group. An expensive experiment. I purchased Partitions for my first safari on recommendation of the lodge. They performed well enough but I was not impressed when the hide was peeled. Destruction of meat simply is not a consideration in Africa. But it's always been a concern for me. I haven't written off Partitions completely. Not yet anyway. But it may be a done deal. Just loaded up a dozen 165 gr Interlock with IMR4895 powder that wouldn't work in my 404 loads. Very satisfactory group at 100 yards. I would prefer cup and core somewhere between 165 and 180 gr but no one makes anything like that.
Considering I still drive an old 03 Super Duty, I won’t argue your Jimmy vs New Caddy.

I will however argue your “Quality is the ability to perform the task at hand” and cup & core argument. Your interlocks won’t penetrate far enough into the vitals on a hard raking or quartering away shot the way many of the premium bullets will on say an eland, giraffe, moose, elk, or even a kudu. Ask your bullet to do that at 300+ yards and you’re asking for some issues. If your response is something about not taking that shot, hunting harder/better to close the distance, you don’t believe in long range shots, or waiting for a better shot opportunity to take a broadside behind the shoulder shot you’ve just conceded a flaw with your cup & core argument since they’re not performing the task at hand in those situations.

Washed Up Vet - First and foremost… Thank You for your service to our country!

With regard to bullets, it’s pretty simple. Just shoot whatever premium bullet your gun groups well and you have confidence in. My son and I have shot all that stuff you mentioned plus a lot more African game including Kudu & Sable (except blesbok) with 150 grain Nosler Partitions in a .270. They’ve all died quickly. With a smaller cartridge and bullet.

It doesn’t matter whether you shoot a Partition, TTSX, A Frame, Bearclaw, Terminal Ascent, Northfork or any number of other excellent bullets. In your .300 whichever of those groups well and you’re confident in, just use it and go enjoy the experience of a lifetime.

With regard to placement, just keep it tight to the shoulder and almost halfway up and you won’t need to fire many shots. The heart is in pretty much the same place on all animals, don’t overthink it.

Just go enjoy yourself and give us a nice report when you return.
Thank you sir, I enjoyed my time in Iraq and Afghanistan to be honest. It was all quite an adventure. The ELD-X groups the tightest but it seems the terminal results are of a mixed review. The Swift Scirocco are incredibly accurate and the Nosler Accubond is second most accurate. I will likely use these. :)

Considering I still drive an old 03 Super Duty, I won’t argue your Jimmy vs New Caddy.

I will however argue your “Quality is the ability to perform the task at hand” and cup & core argument. Your interlocks won’t penetrate far enough into the vitals on a hard raking or quartering away shot the way many of the premium bullets will on say an eland, giraffe, moose, elk, or even a kudu. Ask your bullet to do that at 300+ yards and you’re asking for some issues. If your response is something about not taking that shot, hunting harder/better to close the distance, you don’t believe in long range shots, or waiting for a better shot opportunity to take a broadside behind the shoulder shot you’ve just conceded a flaw with your cup & core argument since they’re not performing the task at hand in those situations.
I generally do not shoot at animals 300+ yards with my 30-06. True, I have taken two plains game much further than that ... in as many shots ... but not with my rifle. I would not do it again. The wildebeest went down in a heap at 370 yards shot behind the ear. But that's not where I put the crosshairs. Tried to adjust for a very hard wind but not enough. In any event, I was certain when I took the shot that the bullet would either hit the shoulder, neck, or head ... or miss entirely. Kudu at 440 yards in no wind was hit a bit low behind the shoulder but I still recovered it in short order. PH claimed he didn't get the correct clicks for elevation. Whatever. So much for long distance shooting at live targets. I have proven I can do it. That's good enough. Back to hunting. For me the "task at hand" is ensuring a good shot in range at the end of a memorable stalk, not simply shooting stuff.

If I ever decide to hunt giraffe or eland (very unlikely), I'll unwrap the 404J and its 400 gr ammo.

It’s relevant because a bullet that works well on elk might not be as effective on a kudu in Africa because the shot placement is different. A new hunter to Africa doesn’t always know that.
Agreed. And, It is considered wise to break the shoulder and further penetrate to heart and lungs; depending on angle or opportunity presented. I’ve done this with Elk and larger PG, but it can be circumstances dependent and often results in meat/tissue damage. I’ve had more than one heart shot PG run 75 yards and tip over -Gemsbok, Red hartebeest, and Zebra. This always gets my blood pumping… Especially when my ball busting PH asks “Did you hit it?!”… Or “do you think you made a good shot?”… Knowing I did!

Your PH is going to tell you where the shot placement should be…

Bullet type and construction is important. I had early success with Nosler partition and greater success with Barnes TSX when shooting on the shoulder. My PH wanted me to break the shoulder on the Hippo I hunted recently and because we were hunting nights and I wasn’t certain I could make that shot at the initial distance, we had to wait. When the better shot presented itself on the 4th night, I used a Barnes TSX for a head shot that dumped it and an anchoring shot on the shoulder.

Hunting PG, up to Roan and including Wildebeest, with lighter weight bullets and a smaller caliber rifle I’ve had great success with Barnes TTSX driving through ribs and into heart and lung. Also angle dependent and with a very accurate rifle that I shoot well. In this scenario, I won’t shoot without the desired shot. Sure, I’ve passed or waited for these shots. To each their own…

Hello gents, I am going to South Africa in June. Impala, Warthog, blesbok, blue wildebeest, and zebra will be on the menu. I am taking my Remington 700 Sendero in .300 win mag. My outfitter suggested Barnes TTSX ammo. I have tried this in factory as well as handloads, 180 and 200 grain varieties. All variants group around 2" at 100 yards. I feel like that is not very good accuracy, perhaps I am over-thinking it and that is sufficient. My rifle is currently zeroed with Hornady 200 grain ELD-X and it shoots 3/4 MOA groups every time. My outfitter does not want me to use the ELD-X. Has anybody used the Swift Scirocco 2? I tried the 180 grain version and it was sub 3/4 MOA, I believe the bonded bullet should be sufficient for these animals. I have also handloaded 180 grain Nosler Accubonds and they shot around 1-1.5 MOA.

I did a search and found very limited information on the Swift Scirocco, my apologies if this has been covered somewhere already.
The 300 WM is a great caliber for Africa. Any quality monolithic or bonded bullet around 180 or 200gr will perform the task with aplomb.

Four of my hunting mates are currently using 300WM rifles and 200 gr Nosler Accubonds at about 2850 fps for bushveld as well longer plains game hunting. The combination works very well for them and they are extremely happy with the accuracy and the terminal ballistics they are getting.

Find a load that works for you and enjoy your hunt, you won’t be disappointed.

I’m definitely not a fan of the eldx, we have had better performance from regular federal
Blue box , last couple years I have really liked Norma Oryx 180gr in my .30cal and 150 in my .270win , my uncle loves the TBBC & TSX in his 300wm
Eldx has explosive problems @ > 150 meters, 100% penetration problems on deer to elk , aoudad, , eldx & Berger imo need extra heavy for caliber for penetration on medium to large animals

I used to shoot the Swift Scirocco II 180 gr in my .300 Winchester magnum.
I really like this combo that was very effective whatever the distance and I killed many animals from jackals up to giraffe without any problems.

This bonded bullet usually keeps a big weight retention and in my collection, usually they are above 70 %, and even 80 %, most of the time. The lightest one I have found has "only" kept 61 % of its initial weight but it was found in a red stag.

In comparison, the Nosler Accubond 180 gr that I used before tended to lose more of its weight. I have never seen one, in this diameter, which kept more than 65 % of its weight. Most of the time, it was 50 % or so...sometimes a bit less. But they never let me down, even on tough games like zebras. In my rifle, the Accubond seems less picky to the seating depth than the Scirocco but both provided me a great accuracy.

j1adwc.jpg

Bullets recovered in blue and black wildebeests, eland and burchell zebra.

3w3uaf.jpg

Bullets recovered in 2 blue wildebeests : 84.30 % and 77.7 %

u2q0as.jpg

Bullets recovered in a giraffe

The first one, shot in the shoulder, was recovered under the skin in the opposite shoulder and it has kept 88.2% of its weight.
The other one, shot in the neck to finish it off, and that broke the spine, has kept 84.7%.

Unfortunately, I don't find them anymore where I am. Now I'm using Nosler Partition 220 gr.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to shoot the Swift Scirocco II 180 gr in my .300 Winchester magnum.
I really like this combo that was very effective whatever the distance and I killed many animals from jackals up to giraffe without any problems.

This bonded bullet usually keeps a big weight retention and in my collection, usually they are above 70 %, and even 80 %, most of the time. The lightest one I have found has "only" kept 61 % of its initial weight but it was found in a red stag.

In comparison, the Nosler Accubond 180 gr that I used before tended to lose more of its weight. I have never seen one, in this diameter, which kept more than 65 % of its weight. Most of the time, it was 50 % or so...sometimes a bit less. But they never let me down, even on tough games like zebras. In my rifle, the Accubond seems less picky to the seating depth than the Scirocco but both provided me a great accuracy.

View attachment 637389
Bullets recovered in blue and black wildebeests, eland and burchell zebra.

View attachment 637388
Bullets recovered in 2 blue wildebeests : 84.30 % and 77.7 %

View attachment 637390
Bullets recovered in a giraffe

The first one, shot in the shoulder, was recovered under the skin in the opposite shoulder and it has kept 88.2% of its weight.
The other one, shot in the neck to finish it off, and that broke the spine, has kept 84.7%.

Unfortunately, I don't find them anymore where I am. Now I'm using Nosler Partition 220 gr.
Those look really good. These are 200 gr 300 win accubonds from Namibia this year. Gemsbok and kudu. I was really impressed with how they killed and the immediate reaction from game when they were hit. I was surprised at the weight retention. I only took one home to weigh. It was 62%. I think they probably ranged 55%-65%. I generally prefer bullets that retain more mass for more predictable performance on bone but I’d use accubonds again.
IMG_6099.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look really good. These are 200 gr 300 win accubonds from Namibia this year. Gemsbok and kudu. I was really impressed with how they killed and the immediate reaction from game when they were hit. I was surprised at the weight retention. I only took one home to weigh. It was 62%. I think they probably ranged 55%-65%. I generally prefer bullets that retain more mass for more predictable performance on bone but I’d use accubonds again.
View attachment 637300
The Nosler Accubond remains a very good bullet and if the opportunity arise, I will use them again. I had the opportunity to try them also in .338 Lapua magnum and a bit in .375 Holland & Holland magnum.
Yours bullets look good too and they performed well on games.
I checked in my datas, and here are some Nosler Accubonds 180 gr recovered in various namibian games : Blue and black wildebeests, oryx, warthogs, kudus and mountains zebras. All were reloaded with Reload Swiss 70 Powder and my muzzle velocity was around 915 m/s (3000 f/s).

It's very difficult to reach 70 % of its initial weight and very often, they are lighter. But even when big bones are stricken, and at close distance with a high velocity, the bullet stays together, at least a minimum. It's not like Hornady SST or Nosler Ballistic-Tip that usually break apart in the same situation.
On the far left, there is a SST 180 gr, reloaded with Somchem S385 and recovered in a black wildebeest shot at 390 meters and the lead core was separated from the jacket.

Sorry, I mainly a metric guy so weights are in gram and not in grains.

I only went to S.A. twice and on the first visit used a Weatherby Mk.5 in 8X68S calibre with the RWS 187gr H.Mantel copper hollow-point bullet.
These worked perfectly on all species but it was `too much gun` for my feeble frame and I had the `ring of incompetence` on my forehead after the first shot. In the heat of the moment I forgot I was using this bruiser.

For my second trip I took a Sako TRGS in .300 Win.Mag. calibre with 180gr Nosler Partitions which killed everything up to Kudu and Red Hartebeeste in fine style but did not half-kill ME each time I pulled the trigger.

Thank you sir, I enjoyed my time in Iraq and Afghanistan to be honest. It was all quite an adventure. The ELD-X groups the tightest but it seems the terminal results are of a mixed review. The Swift Scirocco are incredibly accurate and the Nosler Accubond is second most accurate. I will likely use
Plains game don’t like an accurate Swift load.

I have had two instances of accubonds performing spectacularly bad, extremely shallow penetration, and I have zero instances of ELD-Xs doing the same on a couple truck loads of African PG.

See how that works.
@YancyW
I used accubond on a few of the animals I shot in Namibia. No failures and very dead animals.
Impala at 275 yards and black wildebeest at 170 yards, kudu at 120 yards. Complete penetration with exit on impala and wildebeest and five foot of penetration in the kudu. From front on to rear left hand. These were 225 grains at 2,900 fps in the Whelen. Woodleighs and the old Hornady rnsp also gave excellent results.
The accubond 150 gn in my sons 308 at 2,900 fps dropped everything he shot and no recovered projectiles.
Bob

I guess I’m against the grain here but I’m not a fan of Barnes and have successfully taken elk with the ELDX in 6.5prc.

In my one and only Africa trip, I rented a 30-06 and used basic hornady lead tipped bullets with success on wildebeest, sable, kudu, etc.
@samson7x
I use a good old Hornady 250gn rnsp in my Whelen at 2,700fps on my oryx bull at 120 yards. Left a golf ball size hole out the other side in a side on shot. You could see the whole body ripple with the impact. It's a pity they discontinued this bullet but fortunately Woodleigh makes a nice bonded 225 & 250 gn rnsp. For ranges out to 299 yards they seem to just hit harder than the pretty pointed bullet.
Bob

180Gr Nosler AccuBonds are a wise choice.

I agree with your white hunter. Hornady ELD-X Red Tips don’t hold together well upon striking heavy bone. A complete no-no for the wildebeest or zebra, esp. when taking shoulder shots.
@Hunter-Habib
One hunter in our group used a very accurate rental Sako in 300 win mag with 212gn Eldx. Yes it killed game BUT he found it very explosive. The biggest bit of projectile he found was a bit of jacket resting on the heart of his kudu. Zero penetration of the heart but one lung was destroyed. Two shots to take that animal as well as two chest shots for a not that big Burchell zebra. After seeing the performance of those I will stay with the 150 gn accubond for tougher game and the 150 gn SST for everything else in my sons 308. Both shoot to the same poi out to 200 yards in his rifle and less than moa.
Unfortunately no matter how I seat or what powder I use his rifle patterns the 165grainers but also love the 180s.
Bob

A few thoughts on the subject:
  1. I agree that you have to listen to your PH. They have an expertise and experience.
  2. But also ACCURACY (read bullet placement) kills. Every experienced hunter knows that. Of course on the dangerous game a well constructed bullet is a must.
  3. On my moose hunt PH insisted on Interlock bullets. I was taking my 300PRC rifle on that hunt. I obliged and loaded couple of boxes with interlock, BUT I also brought a box with ELD-X. Both were 220 grains bullets.
View attachment 636869
4. At longer distances high BC bullet has distinct advantages. ELD-X is awesome “flyer”. See comparison below.

View attachment 636870

And I was very glad that I had ELD-X with me. Moose was 403 yards away. I shot twice using ELD-X. Bullets hit the same spot, but at different angles. Both double lung shots. I’m convinced that Interlock bullets would have done much worse at this distance.

View attachment 636873

This is a recovered bullet from the moose. It ended up on the opposite side under skin. It retained 130 grains out of 220.
View attachment 636871

My advice: have a box of bullets that you can shoot accurately. Just in a case. But also bring ammo that is favorite with your PH.
@krusin
They may hold together well at longer ranges BUT at high velocity at 200 or less the come apart like a grenade. In a warthog at 150 all that was found was a few bits of jacket the biggest weighed 20 grains and he also found the nice red tip. Yes the warthog died on the spot so you could say the bullet did the job intended.
Bob

I used my .300Win with 200gr partition hand loads for impala and bushbuck in July and could not have been more satisfied with the results.

As far as the 2” accuracy with TSX is concerned, I would highly suggest cleaning your bore and trying again.

I used TSX exclusively in my .257Wby for years with amazing results for both accuracy & on game performance.

However accuracy would fall off considerably after 20-30rnds and after cleaning would shrink back to clover leaf sized groups.
@deewayne2003
My 25 must be an exception to the rule. I haven't cleaned the bore in over two years and around 250 rounds. I oil the bore after every shoot/ hunt then just patch it out before the next use. I use a mix of 100gn TTSX, Hornady 117gn SST and 115gn combined technology silver tips. At 200 yards it still groups less than one inch for three shots with any combination or mix of projectiles.
Yes I spent a bit of time in load development but it has paid big dividends as I know I can pick the rifle up loaded with any one of these ir even a mix and I know it's fine out to over 350 yards with a similar hold.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KieraAtkin

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?