Plains Game Ammo

It’s relevant because a bullet that works well on elk might not be as effective on a kudu in Africa because the shot placement is different. A new hunter to Africa doesn’t always know that.
A bullet effective on elk will work just fine for a Kudu. 7 PRC at 580 yards just behind the shoulder one and done
IMG_4659.jpeg

To get back on track for bullet recommendations I’d want to know more about your setup and how you plan to hunt. Are you comfortable and setup to accurately take game at distance or will you be looking to take game within say 200 yards? Inside 200-300 yards with a 300 Win Mag bullet BC really won’t have much effect on downrange performance. For that I’d go with the bullet that gives you at least 1 MOA accuracy. If you’re looking to stretch it out my favorite bullet to hand load is Berger OTMs or the Berger Elite Hunter. For factory ammo I really like the performance from Federal Terminal Ascent bullets. I have had mixed results with Accubond LR bullets. From a 300 Ultra mag they were great at distance but did not perform well up close at higher velocities. From a 300 Win Mag they would probably work well. As far as the ELD-X bullets I don’t have any experience hunting with them but I know people who have successfully used them and have heard reports of poor performance.

Without being to complicated, deer are part of the Cervidae family, Antelope are part of the Bovidae family. Nearly all the vital organs in the former are farther forward, and shot placement should be moved accordingly.

Washed Up Vet - First and foremost… Thank You for your service to our country!

With regard to bullets, it’s pretty simple. Just shoot whatever premium bullet your gun groups well and you have confidence in. My son and I have shot all that stuff you mentioned plus a lot more African game including Kudu & Sable (except blesbok) with 150 grain Nosler Partitions in a .270. They’ve all died quickly. With a smaller cartridge and bullet.

It doesn’t matter whether you shoot a Partition, TTSX, A Frame, Bearclaw, Terminal Ascent, Northfork or any number of other excellent bullets. In your .300 whichever of those groups well and you’re confident in, just use it and go enjoy the experience of a lifetime.

With regard to placement, just keep it tight to the shoulder and almost halfway up and you won’t need to fire many shots. The heart is in pretty much the same place on all animals, don’t overthink it.

Just go enjoy yourself and give us a nice report when you return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatiaImlay

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?