Pith helmets...

How did I miss this thread?!
Couple weeks ago in South Africa. Loved wearing the pith helmet, good shade coverage, good ventilation, very comfortable and all around damn fine looking hat.
View attachment 633291
That will get the approval of our resident Land Rover enthusiast

Ha, i also have a 1966 Series 2A in the garage!
In the garage! No man, get it out there! Here in my wife's series 2, called the David Livingstone. She had a Land Cruiser, but since she got this the cruiser has stood with a flat battery.
IMG_2499.jpeg

Pith helmets are still in wide spread use in Vietnam. Worn as every day gear by military, police and civilians. Having beaten the former colonial power, they don't seem have a hangup about recognizing its utility. I have thought about buying one to try for ultra hot environments and also for heavy downpours.

However, in respect to Landys I have previously owned a Landy and am quite sure I'll stick with the Hilux!
Agree 100% . Have owned quite a few Land Rovers old and new . Hate them . Give me a HiLux any day. .

For pith helmet aficionados . The one modeled on left is a Kitchener Pattern - late 19th century and to right is a Wolseley Pattern more typical of WW1 & 2 . Both very comfortable in hot weather . Denys Finch Hatton wore a pith helmet but Redford refused to wear one for “Out of Africa”.

IMG_2016.jpeg
IMG_2017.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad had a pith helmet he wore in the service. Not sure why because he never left the states. He was a math “whiz kid” that did deciphering. Sadly I didn’t inherit his skills.
I remember as a kid wearing his and playing Frank Buck. Reminds me I have an old Frank Buck book I should reread. I’ll have to dig it out of my little library.

In the garage! No man, get it out there! Here in my wife's series 2, called the David Livingstone. She had a Land Cruiser, but since she got this the cruiser has stood with a flat battery.
View attachment 633566

1966-68 Ford Bronco, identifying as a Land Rover. Or is it a Land Rover identifying as a 1966-68 Ford Bronco.

:ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiamhSocha

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!