Pith helmets...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did play along. I did!

I thought these guys were wearing pith helmets, but they are boonies

Melania looked good with her pith helmet while on her African tour a few years ago

1644718004795.png

I have one in my den for decoration. Of course, I don it for rifle practice with snap caps. I just can’t imagine wearing one in Africa. They’re really heavy. On the other hand, nothing says “I’ve come to take over your country” quite like a pith helmet!
One of my PH colleagues wore one on occasion as a treat for the hunters, we sort of got used to it .

But the ones I have & seen are very light almost felt hat weight ?

Proper Pith helmets are made by Melville and Moon South Africa and there is an agent in the USA. They are really great hats to wear and the modern ones are very light. The inside is dark green to cut reflection under the brim and they have ventilation holes. Also a chinstrap so it won't blow off on the back of a shooting brake. Our whole group started wearing them as a bit of an identity thing but now they are the preferred bush hat. The pith helmet is part of the official regalia of an African Chief in Zimbabwe and I think a few other African countries too, and it is becomming more common to see them out and about at the shops or sporting events.
Get one, you will not regret it!

79778381-9864-45EF-A879-1939ADE73A18.jpeg
B4DBF753-D36D-4857-AC15-1105861BCC79.jpeg
48CFE6D8-0B8C-45A5-AC31-C424DF8AF4BF.jpeg
09FF823E-F200-48B9-87C4-9ADF1AA854F9.jpeg
86325D27-DB4B-48BB-BA8F-7ECB10053C24.jpeg

I just don't know how long I could hold a straight face if a client arrived in pith helment....:E Doh:
Now picture the Pith Helmet and a surgical mask!

Proper Pith helmets are made by Melville and Moon South Africa and there is an agent in the USA. They are really great hats to wear and the modern ones are very light. The inside is dark green to cut reflection under the brim and they have ventilation holes. Also a chinstrap so it won't blow off on the back of a shooting brake. Our whole group started wearing them as a bit of an identity thing but now they are the preferred bush hat. The pith helmet is part of the official regalia of an African Chief in Zimbabwe and I think a few other African countries too, and it is becomming more common to see them out and about at the shops or sporting events.
Get one, you will not regret it!
Kevin, you look like a real hunter.
A Land Rover in the background would top it off.
A bit of nostalgia, the days of old that I wasn't around to see.

I don't mean to offend but you were very lucky to miss the Land Rover only days, I have had to walk home/back to camp on 3 continents & in many country's after failing to push the Land Rover far enough, that's if it was possible to push & not with a broken this or that !!

must admit they do look cool now days , with added nostalgia

Pith helmets are still in wide spread use in Vietnam. Worn as every day gear by military, police and civilians. Having beaten the former colonial power, they don't seem have a hangup about recognizing its utility. I have thought about buying one to try for ultra hot environments and also for heavy downpours.

However, in respect to Landys I have previously owned a Landy and am quite sure I'll stick with the Hilux!

I don't mean to offend but you were very lucky to miss the Land Rover only days, I have had to walk home/back to camp on 3 continents & in many country's after failing to push the Land Rover far enough, that's if it was possible to push & not with a broken this or that !!

must admit they do look cool now days , with added nostalgia
Doesn't offend me. Kevin is a Land Rover enthusiast, best I can tell. Weve only spoken through here.
Toyota Landcruiser seems to be the go.
I recall the property we used to visit as a kid had Landrovers and later went with Toyota.

Pith helmets are still in wide spread use in Vietnam. Worn as every day gear by military, police and civilians. Having beaten the former colonial power, they don't seem have a hangup about recognizing its utility. I have thought about buying one to try for ultra hot environments and also for heavy downpours.

However, in respect to Landys I have previously owned a Landy and am quite sure I'll stick with the Hilux!
I have owned two Defenders bought new after 2000, they both gave problems and I think it was because the engines were both turbo'd and too highly stressed. My little 1954 Series 1 is very reliable, just keeps going, because it is the exact opposite - zero acceleration and top speed 80kph. My buddies ones are reliable also.

83578ED0-9027-4936-8985-C3BFC5CDCD72.jpeg
DEE7A391-248A-426E-9A84-E04F1D13D699.jpeg

Ok, can't insert quote,
But what Kevin is doing looks cool, I wanna do that.

Can’t find any on the Melville and Moon South Africa website @Kevin Peacocke .
Disregard,found on UK site
This quote worked, yeah.
I could not see it either. There are Pith Helmet s online various prices , styles, quality.
A proper or authentic one would be cool.
Of I get to Africa again I might but one if I find the right thing.

She looks beautiful:love: even without a helmet.
If you are married you can't write that stuff down.
Attractive, yes. But, Mmmn, not my first choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlmaCoon5

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles
Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian