Pith helmets...

Land Rovers Do What You Can.JPG

A pith helmet does not suffice..you also need two traditional safari jackets with cartridge loops..khaki and green and some proper shorts.. Top up with a canvas hat and you are ready for Africa..

I must admit, you guys look to be having a great time with the pithy’s, rover and campaign bar. However, I think Melania has you beat.

A pith helmet does not suffice..you also need two traditional safari jackets with cartridge loops..khaki and green and some proper shorts.. Top up with a canvas hat and you are ready for Africa..
Sounds logical. But if, for some reason one needed to travel into the city wearing safari jacket and pith helmet -- should the gentleman hunter don a four-in-hand necktie or would a simple ascot be sufficient? :D

Paging Mr. Peacocke, AH's own Safari Sartorial Sage!

Last edited:
Here's a selection of lower-cost, VietNam manufactured pith helmets.
https://www.villagehatshop.com/searchx/go?w=pith helmet A friend's wife wears one during long days tending her garden in the hot sun. It is reasonably well made, although the chin strap is purely decorative rather than functional. But it is lightweight and keeps one cool in the summer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.39.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.39.00 AM.png
    578 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.39.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.39.04 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.39.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.39.07 AM.png
    703.9 KB · Views: 81
I'll happily chime in and boast about wearing a pith helmet while hunting in Africa. It has earned me no unusual looks and has done a good job at shading my face and protecting my head from thorns and what nots. Sadly after fifteen years and since the last hunt, this one has seen it's better days and is probably ready for retirement, only I cannot find a replacement for it so it might have to endure yet another hunt in the near future!
cape buff pith.jpg
pith.jpg
eland pith.jpg

I'll happily chime in and boast about wearing a pith helmet while hunting in Africa. It has earned me no unusual looks and has done a good job at shading my face and protecting my head from thorns and what nots. Sadly after fifteen years and since the last hunt, this one has seen it's better days and is probably ready for retirement, only I cannot find a replacement for it so it might have to endure yet another hunt in the near future! View attachment 555916View attachment 555920View attachment 555917
Try Melville and Moon

This is a pic I took last week on my last safari. I actually had a monacle in my shirt pocket that I normally use, note the lanyard, rather than mess with readers in the field but I forgot about it or it would’ve been better. I haven’t worn one afield but could see it being much more practical than a ball cap. The helmet is not mine but belongs to the outfitter.

IMG_0046.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My old man used to have some comment about someone wearing a Jockey Strap and Hip Boots! Now there's you a mental picture.

Had to immediately refer back to the plastic straw pic to get this mental pic out of my mind.

I found a fine replacement, Stetson just turned this one out a few months ago and I was more than happy to try it out. I wasn't disappointed with its quality, fit and performance.
thumbnail_IMG_9362.jpg

Yeah but you aussies wear shorts everywhere.

I’m a yank up over but was married to a sheila once.
Was she a good sort?

I don’t wear shorts much at all.

My father liked the air circulation of the American version of the pith helmet, suspended above a headband--it's called a hardhat, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlmaCoon5

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles
Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian