Pistol Reccomendation?

As a couple of others have noted, a 22 revolver is as good as any of a way to start, but if your mind is set on an 9x19, I'll suggest the CZ 75B or the decocker version the 75BD. CZs are excellent, and you'll have a hard time finding any semiauto that feels better in the hand when you pick it up.

I do like the CZs. However, just like their rifles they need to get worked on to work flawlessly. I have used Cajun GunWorks in the past. Here is a video of me shooting it. If you watch the front sight you'll notice it coming back almost on its own to target after recoil. BTW, showing the flag with an Africa Hunting hat. ;)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Beretta 92. The M9A3 in particular. Superb trigger right out of the box. Checks all the OP's requirements.

The new Springfield Armory SA-35 would be a great choice too.

I would recommend the SIG P229 for a carry gun. I prefer a gun with an exposed hammer. You know when it’s hot and when it not and requires a trigger or hammer pull to make it hot and discharge.

That said my daily carry is a stainless PPK with laser grips. Personally, it’s too heavy and ammo too expensive. But then cheap American Eagle 9mm range ammo is no longer 9.99 (or 8.99 on sale), a box at Academy either, if you can find it.
My other "dress gun" is also a stainless PPK. Mine is a .380. Someone spent a small fortune having it engraved. It is too much of too little, but I love it.

Imho, a 4" . 357 magnum is by far the most versatile and practical handgun that a person can own. Personally, I prefer the Ruger Security Six, but they are hard to find, so would settle for a Smith model 66.

My other "dress gun" is also a stainless PPK. Mine is a .380. Someone spent a small fortune having it engraved. It is too much of too little, but I love it.

Do you find it a bit hard to rack? I bought one years ago for my father-in-law and I thought it was the most difficult automatic to rack that I've come across.

Do you find it a bit hard to rack? I bought one years ago for my father-in-law and I thought it was the most difficult automatic to rack that I've come across.
I haven't found it an issue.

Speaking of dress guns. I actually took my Sig P938 with its holster to my tailor for a few suits (I have to wear them now and then), and he made accommodations accordingly so I would not be printing. It is a very accurate little gun in 9MM, and of course in SA.

1639350771650.png

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Beretta 92. The M9A3 in particular. Superb trigger right out of the box. Checks all the OP's requirements.

The new Springfield Armory SA-35 would be a great choice too.
I was actually looking at a 92X Performance as an option. I'll need to try one out obviously, but they seem reliable and well regarded for the most part.

I usually carry a Bersa Thunder .380. Embarrassingly inexpensive, but a very reliable knockoff of the Walther.

I usually carry a Bersa Thunder .380. Embarrassingly inexpensive, but a very reliable knockoff of the Walther.
I had one of these and found it the same, finally sold it to a friend who wanted a .380

Reactions: WAB
I was actually looking at a 92X Performance as an option. I'll need to try one out obviously, but they seem reliable and well regarded for the most part.
Great gun. However, the decocking of the pistol is the same as CZ-SP01. You pull the trigger with a round in the chamber while lowering the hammer slowly, MANUALLY. There is no decocker. Not for the faint of heart and it requires a lot of practice so one can do it without an AD.

Two ways of doing it. One while holding the hammer with two fingers and slowly lowering it while pressing the trigger and then let loose of the trigger at the end. Your fingers slip, then BANG.

Second method, which is my preferred method, is to stick your thumb in front of the hammer and slowly roll it out of the way while pressing the trigger. No chance of your fingers slipping.

Both methods require practice to master.

Of course, if you are going to carry it cocked and locked similar to a 1911 then no issues at all.

Great gun. However, the decocking of the pistol is the same as CZ-SP01. You pull the trigger with a round in the chamber while lowering the hammer slowly, MANUALLY. There is no decocker. Not for the faint of heart and it requires a lot of practice so one can do it without an AD.

Two ways of doing it. One while holding the hammer with two fingers and slowly lowering it while pressing the trigger and then let loose of the trigger at the end. Your fingers slip, then BANG.

Second method, which is my preferred method, is to stick your thumb in front of the hammer and slowly roll it out of the way while pressing the trigger. No chance of your fingers slipping.

Both methods require practice to master.

Of course, if you are going to carry it cocked and locked similar to a 1911 then no issues at all.
I'd view it as a single action only pistol to be honest. Plus it's a 3lb+ gun, so I don't think I'd ever want to carry it. Exclusively a range / competition piece far as I'm concerned and that's all I want from this pistol, whatever it ends up being.

I'd view it as a single action only pistol to be honest. Plus it's a 3lb+ gun, so I don't think I'd ever want to carry it. Exclusively a range / competition piece far as I'm concerned and that's all I want from this pistol, whatever it ends up being.
If you are going to compete in IPSC or USPSA Production/Optics divisions you will have to run it as a DA/SA which means you will have to lower the hammer. Ditto for IDPA (I Don't Practice Anymore ;) ).

Best to just get a Glock or a 1911, then all that DA/SA silliness will disappear.;):ROFLMAO:

I can't stress this enough if you have never owned or fired a handgun start with a 22 with adjustable sights. Pistols like the Ruger Mk II with a bull barrel and adjustable sights or a Smith & Wesson Model 41 are good choices. Being a good shot with a rifle is no guarantee you can shoot a handgun well, it takes training, practice, and lots of ammo. Normally it takes thousands of rounds to become an accurate shooter, the availability and cost of 9mm ammo will make that very difficult. Stick with the 22 until you have learned to shoot accurately then look for a larger caliber handgun.

Fellow Handgunners,

Alistair, welcome to the former greatest country to have ever jumped and shouted.
I do wish you God’s Speed in finding the right handguns for you.
There are so many available here in the USA that, it can get blurry and complicated deciding which one/s to buy.

Furthermore:
Thank You, each and every one, for posting your individual preferences, on pistols and revolvers.
I have owned handguns, beginning with a Ruger “Bearcat” .22 revolver, at age 14 (now I’m 68) and today, ending with both semi-autos and revolvers (I like both).
Also, having carried an assortment of both mentioned handgun designs, during my 28 years as a Police Officer, (not to mention, having taught firearms discipline for well more than half my career) indeed, I am enjoying this thread very, very much.

Red Leg’s photo of his vintage SIG P-210 takes first prize in my demented mind, for sure.
The ORIGINAL P-210 is IMO the very best of the best in 9x19 self loaders.
The Browning P-35 (so called “Hi-Power) is a distant 2nd .

Note: It is not that I am recommending or not recommending the 9 MM for anything, be it plinking, formal target shooting or self defense but, as 9x19 pistols go, any or all of you can buy old Velo a vintage P-210 SIG any time - no need to wait for Christmas.
(Too late for any of you to buy me a Browning P-35, I already have a cherry one).
At any rate, all the handguns described and / or posted in the photos, from all of you, are very enjoyable to read about and to see in pictures.

Hopefully, more members will post their handgun preferences soon.

Thanks Again,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Another vote along with Bonk's post above for any of the Beretta 92 series. I have the M9A3 and love it. Double stack magazines, etc. etc. Fits all your requirements. Check them out on Beretta.com or any of the better gun shops.

Hard to rack, no. But I will agree it does take some effort.

Best to just get a Glock or a 1911, then all that DA/SA silliness will disappear.;):ROFLMAO:

I would suggest you stay away from striker fired guns like the Glock. An alway hot gun like the Glock is a great way to get yourself killed. There was an probation officer where I used to work, who was at the range practicing the fast draw. He grabbed the gun and it discharged into his leg, hitting an artery and bled to death.

The Glock maybe dishwasher safe, but it’s not safe.

I would suggest you stay away from striker fired guns like the Glock. An alway hot gun like the Glock is a great way to get yourself killed. There was an probation officer where I used to work, who was at the range practicing the fast draw. He grabbed the gun and it discharged into his leg, hitting an artery and bled to death.

The Glock maybe dishwasher safe, but it’s not safe.
To each their own, I'll politely disagree and leave it at that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TangelaSel

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]