Pistol Reccomendation?

Walther PPQ M2 Q5 Match. Polymer version is under $1k and the steel frame is $1.5k.

Suggest you check out Hickok45, he probably has a video on most of the guns
Excellent advice.

I’d start with a good .22 semi auto: Ruger, S&W, Browning and several others. This provides a good training aid and cheaper practice.
For a 9mm, as everyone has said, go to shop and handle as many as possible. Single action (1911), double action and striker fired. Some shops that have indoor shooting ranges, rent guns. Try them out.

Last edited:
I personally compete with (.40 S&W) and carry a single action pistol (17 round 9mm magazine), but it is not something I'd recommend to a new shooter.

I also would not recommend a double action pistol either as one has two trigger pulls.

The best I'd recommend (and I have fired them) are striker fired pistols. The 4 I would choose from would be not in any particular order are:

Walther PPQ M2 (or the match version)
Sig P320
HK VP9
Canik TP9 variations, there are multiple versions that come with a red dot.

One thing about Canik, they are Turkish copies of Walther PPQ, I have actually interchanged uppers TP9SFX model a while back and had it function. Of course they are less expensive.

Glocks do not fit my hand so I don't have much experience with them, though of all the bunch they have the worst triggers.

@Alistair
For sports like IPSC, buy Shadow 2.
There is no other contendent for this in other models. You want accurate pistol and comeptitive for IPSC and clasic bulls eye shooting, then look no more CZ Shadow 2.

For bullseye shooting. list will be longer.
Sig Sauer P210
SIG Sauer P210 super target 9x19
Sig P240 Hamerli 38 special wad cutter (not a 9 mm, no longer produced, but recored breaker in bulls eye shooting)
Sig P 226
Pardini GT9
CZ 75B, CZ 85B
CZ 75B TS
CZ 75B Sport 2 (Waffen Oschatz)
CZ 75B 6 inch (Akah)
Tanfoglio Gold match

Above all are in the level from accurate and reliable factory pistol, up to custom made race gun.
The most accurate and most expensive service pistol in history was/is SIG P210. And some from above list have been made based (at least partly) on design of P210. (well, actually all of them) so which ever you decide, you will not be wrong.
There are some great historic pistols as well that can be reccomended, (like 1911), but my answer above is based specifically to your question.

Looking at Google, the Milwaukee area boasts a number of large indoor ranges that will rent handguns for a range session. You have been given a large number of suggestions, any of which may turn out to be ideal. Go to one of those ranges, sign up for some instruction, and try quite a few of the rental firearms. I firmly believe single actions are for very experienced shooters. As @Tanks suggests, a simple, striker fired 9mm is hard to beat for a first handgun - one reason that Glock has become so popular, and why so many other companies have essentially copied the design.

The double stack Glocks do not fit my hand comfortably. However, their G43X is a wonderful single-stack 9mm that I often carry. You, on the other hand, may find the traditional Glock has a great feel.

@mark-hunter is correct with respect to the SIG P210. It is arguably the finest military handgun ever built. Mine shoots like a rifle. But it is a full size design and a single action. It is also out of your budget - at least in this country. I will note that the only thing I own close to it in "out of the box" accuracy is my STI 9mm which is superb 1911 clone.

There are dozens of great candidates for your first handgun. I would simply urge you to get some instruction and try a number of them first before committing to a purchase.

Last edited:
I must say, I am not a fan of striker fired pistols. At least until recently. But... due to necessity, and having found the need for one (idpa, and ipsc shooting), robust, and for which if scratched, and with mag when dropped in dust and gravel, I will not shed a tear, my next purchase will be XDM in USA marketed under Spreingfield armory, made in Croatia. With 4.5 inch barrel.

In my taste I am not particularry "tactically" oriented, and in my choice of firearm, I prefer steel and wood, in pistols I prefer steel, and exposed hammer, etc... But sorting out through all of dozens of similar striker fire polymer handguns, Glocks, XD and XDM still have some apeal to me, while others do not. And their grip is good for me. I have shot fair number of shots from each of these three, and came to conclusion that most accurate of these three by small margin is glock G17, closely followed, or equal to is XDM (barrel 5.25 inch), then XD. But, I have never made a score with these three better then with simple CZ 75b. CZ 75b beats them in accuracy.

I follow national matches in pistol bulls eye shooting in my country, so I have an overview on top results, the top three medals on national match usually go to either custom match pistol (Sig P240, Tanfoglio, Pardini CZ 75 TS, or Sport 2 - with majority on medals on p240) or, surprisingly to factory made plain and simple pistol cz75 b. (or P210) Striker fire pistols cannot even make meaningful qualification to state level match -where best of the best compete.

But as said in the beggining, now I am looking for idpa and ipsc, working gun, dust and gravel dropable magazines, and decided for striker fire pistol, and in my case will be xdm 4.5 inch, to fit in technical check box for ipsc.
1639291773981.jpeg

Last edited:
There are a lot of good choices, trying them out in person will help in your selection, but to me the most important advice that has been given here is seek out training, it is a worthwhile investment, and when I say training I mean good training, there are a few yahoo’s out there. A good .22 pistol is a great start to build up shooting schools, Good luck, be safe

Guys with way more experience than I have are weighing in. However, as a Canadian who moved to the US and began shooting pistols later in life, my experience is not dissimilar to the journey you are embarking on.

I have found myself much more comfortable with an exposed hammer, traditional safety and double action capability. This has led me to guns like the Walther and Beretta 92. I know it’s old school but that’s what has worked for me. The Beretta grip is not for everyone, but I have big hands.

@mark-hunter is correct with respect to the SIG P210. It is arguably the finest military handgun ever built. Mine shoots like a rifle. But it is a full size design and a single action. It is also out of your budget - at least in this country. I will note that the only thing I own close to it in "out of the box" accuracy is my STI 9mm which is superb 1911 clone.

We agree on another thing (what a surprise ;) ), STI DVC Carry is my daily CCW handgun. I switched to it some years ago when the newly hired STI director mentioned, at USPSA Nationals, that it did not make sense when people are firing tens of thousands of rounds with their competition SA handguns and then carrying weapons with a different manual of arms. He had one that I tried and I loved it. Took some effort to get it in CA, but here we are.

Top is my competition gun an SVI Infinity in .40S&W, Bottom is the STI DVC Carry that has 17 round double stack magazines (I load it to 16 though).

full

I started shooting handguns relatively late and was most interested in IPSC and IDPA competitions and was not really interested in carrying one on daily basis. However, having shot them a bit, much to my surprise I enjoy olympic disciplines - standard pistol, rapid fire pistol and centre fire pistol much more than the practical type competitions. Also, when in Poland, where it is legal, I carry a firearm all the time. What I’m saying is having some shooting experience has completely changed my perspective on what it is I enjoy and want.

As to the OP’s original question I think it is impossible to answer without @Alistair shooting some. For IPSC competitions CZ Shadow series and similar offerings from Tanfoglio are hard to beat. Also, most hammer guns have much better triggers than striker guns. However, I have a G20 which was atrocious in factory setup but an aftermarket ZEV kit and 15minutes transformed it completely. It still has the striker gun characteristics but it is crisp and smooth. In “big”’guns a decent 1911 70series trigger is a thing of beauty, perhaps not the best carry option by today’s standards but for a range gun they are quite enjoyable. For a carry gun I find that good holster matters as much as the firearm itself. I usually carry (concealed as dictated by law and also personal choice) SIG P229 Legion DA/SA with Viridian light/laser/camera in hybrid leather and kydex IWB holster. Not huge but not ultracompact either and with most clothing my wife, who knows I’m carrying, can’t tell whether I have a gun on me or not. When the clothing doesn’t permit I switch to P365XL in AIWB holster. For sport I shoot Pardini SP. It is a very reliable, Olympics wining gun and I am very unlikely to ever reach the skill level where the gun would become the limiting factor in my performance.

I think the advice, given in the previous posts, to visit the range and shoot a variety of guns is the best advice one can get. You can’t tell what it is you enjoy till you’ve tried it. You might get surprised, I did. There are just so many options out there that it takes a lot of range time to make an informed decision. Even with a single maker and model there can be so many options. Take my EDC for instance, a P229 can be had in a number of different versions most of which can further be had with SAO, DA/SA or DAO trigger option. That’s just one gun from one manufacturer. At the end of the day if you’re not happy with you first choice you can always sell it and get something else instead, or you could keep it and get another one. Watch out for that, I own 15 handguns, now that I have sold a few I didn’t care for…

We agree on another thing (what a surprise ;) ), STI DVC Carry is my daily CCW handgun. I switched to it some years ago when the newly hired STI director mentioned, at USPSA Nationals, that it did not make sense when people are firing tens of thousands of rounds with their competition SA handguns and then carrying weapons with a different manual of arms. He had one that I tried and I loved it. Took some effort to get it in CA, but here we are.

Top is my competition gun an SVI Infinity in .40S&W, Bottom is the STI DVC Carry that has 17 round double stack magazines (I load it to 16 though).

full
Very nice. I am heartsick that they have essentially gone out of the 1911 business.

No doubt because of the period I entered active duty, the 1911 has always been a special thing. I do not compete, so do not have a handgun so configured. These are my favorites.

Colt Commanders. The top is a 38 Super (Texas is adjacent to Mexico :E Shrug:) It is all steel and sadly, I don't carry it any longer. Below it is the lightweight model in 9mm. It is one of my "dress up" handguns.
Colt1.jpg

The STI at upper right is a full size in 9mm. As I said above, it is amazingly accurate. Upper left is often a fall/winter carry pistol. It is a Sauer C3 in .45 - also very accurate. The last tends to be a car or truck handgun when travelling. It is one of the old Canadian made Para Ordnance double action only .45's. It seems a silly idea - until you reel off three or four shots with that incredible trigger. Makes a Glock feel like a garden tool.

Colt2.jpg

And lastly, the P49 Sig 210. This one is in full service livery. Unfortunately, it is rarely fired these days. Just an amazing design.

sig.jpg

Last edited:
I have been shooting hanguns in competition for about 45 years, at the national level, also been an instructor.

If you want to master the basics, join a shooting club and start with a .22, a Ruger will be fine.

Handguns are a very personal tool, more than a rifle, in a Club you will have the opportunity to try out different models. Choose the one which fits your hand and you are more comfortable with, any advice about models is welcome but may not be the best for you.

It´s your choice !

P.S. don´t forget revolvers :P Cowboy:

As a couple of others have noted, a 22 revolver is as good as any of a way to start, but if your mind is set on an 9x19, I'll suggest the CZ 75B or the decocker version the 75BD. CZs are excellent, and you'll have a hard time finding any semiauto that feels better in the hand when you pick it up.

Best regards,

Do you have any experience with handguns?
I found I preferred the recoil of a .45 over the 9x19 when I started.
Well,I did start with a Ruger MkII first though.
I looked at motorcycles some years back,found the ideal one.
Until I tested it that is,it was horrible.
Learn and test,you don’t know what you don’t know.
Of course I usually never take that advice myself.

Red Leg, I loved your comment about the "old Canadian Para Ordinance double action triggers." Mine is a Para Companion with the Carry option. While I have a plethora of other carry guns, the Para is by far my favorite. Alistair you've been given a lot of good advice, i.e. find a pistol shooter that will take you under his wing, start with a 22 LR, rent a number of different firearms prior to purchasing. IMHO it would be best to learn to shoot accurately (one handed preferred) prior to shooting quickly.

I would recommend the SIG P229 for a carry gun. I prefer a gun with an exposed hammer. You know when it’s hot and when it not and requires a trigger or hammer pull to make it hot and discharge.

That said my daily carry is a stainless PPK with laser grips. Personally, it’s too heavy and ammo too expensive. But then cheap American Eagle 9mm range ammo is no longer 9.99 (or 8.99 on sale), a box at Academy either, if you can find it.

CZ75B in a semi auto and a nice large caliber revolver, all you need

Wilson Combat makes custom Sig Sauer 320s $1200 to $1400

Ed Brown makes custom S&W M&P guns $2k to $2500

More of a 1911 guy myself, if I weren't I'd buy that Wilson Sig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShantellMc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]