Perfect Rifle Balance?

Papa72

AH veteran
Reaction score
Is there such a thing or is rifle balance just a matter of preference? In 60 years of firearms ownership and hunting I have never considered balance to be a factor worth investigating, much less actually modifying. I am now interested in helping my 9.37# .458 WM adopt a more sympathetic approach to elder abuse and would appreciate opinions on the “perfect” balance point and how much modifying CG will affect recoil. Currently, my rifle’s CG is 7-3/8” in front of the trigger or just slightly forward of the front action screw on this M98 action rifle.

I like my rifles to balance at the middle of the floor plate.
I was thinking of adding some weight or a recoil reducer in the butt so that would move the CG to where you suggest. I realize the weight alone will help with felt recoil but am curious how much CG needs to be a factor when selecting how much weight to add?

Even though my 500 Jeffery weighs 12 lbs with scope unloaded, because of the balance point it feels light and lively in my hands and points well too.

I am a still hunter and rifle ballance is critical to a quick mount with sights aligned. But in my humble opinion rifle ballance point has no affect whatsoever on felt recoil. Stock fit and conformation certainly does. Example my CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 felt recoil with 286 grain bullet is much less than my Ruger American 30-06 with a 180 grain load. I believe it is due to the unbent stick conformation of the synthetic stock compared to the Bavarian slope of the CZ stock. Point of fact the CZ is 2.5 lbs heavier which is also a factor. I would much rather shoot 20 rounds through the CZ than 20 through the Ruger.

I was thinking of adding some weight or a recoil reducer in the butt so that would move the CG to where you suggest. I realize the weight alone will help with felt recoil but am curious how much CG needs to be a factor when selecting how much weight to add?
I started with a 1lbs and finished with 1.5 lbs in the forward section of the butt of the stock , differences was 15lbs of recoil, from 60 to 45
A neoprene cheek pad and change in butt pad helps me too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhlasko

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available