Pay It Forward-Free

Bob, I ended up in the wrong place one evening with my .243 and a nice whitetail buck presented at what ended up being 325 paces. With a 90 grain original barnes copper (1990's) I Waited for head down and perfect broadside and took him from prone position. Broke both shoulders and exited the size of a half dollar. When I skinned him out it looked like a 30-06 was used. Good gun with the right bullets. Not that I endorse that distance with a .243....
@ftrovato
I just plain don't like the 243. Seen to much wounded game by people using the wrong bullet plus the Winchester bullshit advertising killed of the 25s that are far better cartridges even the little 250 Savage is better than the 243 in my books.
Bob

FWIW.....The 243 is a much better overkill on groundhogs than a 22 magnum. I'm not a fan of the 223 or 5.56, which also make good tomato stakes.
@Ridge Runner
Not a big fan of the 223 but one thing it has going for it is ammo availability.
I do like my old 788 rem in 222 tho. Very accurate
Do you get better tomatoes with 223 barrels or 243 barrels. Seems like a great experiment.
Bob

223/5.56 stakes are for: grape, cherry, smaller variety tomatoes, while the 243 stakes are for the medium varieties. Still need the 1 x 1 stakes for the larger varieties.

I've never shot a 222, 22 Hornet, or 220 Swift but they have my attention as being good small game and varmint calibers for critters up to and including coyotes.

223/5.56 stakes are for: grape, cherry, smaller variety tomatoes, while the 243 stakes are for the medium varieties. Still need the 1 x 1 stakes for the larger varieties.

I've never shot a 222, 22 Hornet, or 220 Swift but they have my attention as being good small game and varmint calibers for critters up to and including coyotes.
@Ridge Runner
I gave my son the 788 222rem and I have my beautiful little 22K hornet on an 1885 lowall.
Both extremely accurate.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen WOW!! Thanks for offering the 1881 Low Wall. I'll take very good care of it and will offer something of equal value.
@Ray B
This is my lowall original made 1897. Kept the original half round half octagon barrel. My gunsmith made a new pistol grip stock and custom scope mount.
Bob
20200201_135400.jpg
20200201_135344.jpg
20200201_135344.jpg
20200201_135424.jpg

@Ridge Runner
Not a big fan of the 223 but one thing it has going for it is ammo availability.
I do like my old 788 rem in 222 tho. Very accurate
Do you get better tomatoes with 223 barrels or 243 barrels. Seems like a great experiment.
Bob
Rem 788s some of the most accurate out of the box rifles ever made! 7mm-08, 243, 222, 220 swift, 6mm, 270, 308 etc. It was the first rifle that i "collected" but also hunted of course. Actually first rifle that i bought with my own money at approx 15. 788 in 220 swift and then 308.

Showed up to Elk camp on the fly as i had just returned home on leave while on active duty but wasnt deployed so i was able to make elk season. Didnt even have time to sight in a rifle or even double check so i grabbed my 788 in 308. Uncles all laughed at me with big magnums and scopes and i was being ribbed nightly until 4th night of hunt as the elk were pressured into the thick timber and guess who was able to snatch up a couple quick iron sight shots and drop a nice bull??? THIS GUY! LOL! One of my uncles actually borrowed my little 308 and took it into the thick and bopped a nice 5x5 with it at approx 75 yards. I had a smile as big as the moon in camp each night while the toddys and storries flowed! LOVE ELK CAMP! BEST memories of my grandfather and uncles etc.

I apologize as i know this is in the wrong forum but bit a side chatter here and there never hurt anybody! Thanks gents!

Rem 788s some of the most accurate out of the box rifles ever made! 7mm-08, 243, 222, 220 swift, 6mm, 270, 308 etc. It was the first rifle that i "collected" but also hunted of course. Actually first rifle that i bought with my own money at approx 15. 788 in 220 swift and then 308.

Showed up to Elk camp on the fly as i had just returned home on leave while on active duty but wasnt deployed so i was able to make elk season. Didnt even have time to sight in a rifle or even double check so i grabbed my 788 in 308. Uncles all laughed at me with big magnums and scopes and i was being ribbed nightly until 4th night of hunt as the elk were pressured into the thick timber and guess who was able to snatch up a couple quick iron sight shots and drop a nice bull??? THIS GUY! LOL! One of my uncles actually borrowed my little 308 and took it into the thick and bopped a nice 5x5 with it at approx 75 yards. I had a smile as big as the moon in camp each night while the toddys and storries flowed! LOVE ELK CAMP! BEST memories of my grandfather and uncles etc.

I apologize as i know this is in the wrong forum but bit a side chatter here and there never hurt anybody! Thanks gents!
@gprippers
Unfortunately the 788s have gone up in price where you now pay more for one than the original price. Would love one in 358 and 30-30.
Bob

@gprippers
Unfortunately the 788s have gone up in price where you now pay more for one than the original price. Would love one in 358 and 30-30.
Bob
In 30/30 and 44 magnum 788s have routinely gone for around $1250. I was fortunate to pick one up for $550 in 30/30 just before Covid. I don’t think they were made in 358 but a 308 could be rebored to 358.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a twenty-pack of once fired brass for .300WM. I think it's remington brand. Let me know if you want it.
I’d like the 300 Win Mag brass!
PM headed your way

Back in February @Seavas sent me more than the 20 cases of 300WM he offered. Thanks again!

Paying it forward (finally) with 40 once fired brass cases of 7mm Rem Mag.

Most are Federal, with a few Winchester-Western mixed in as well. They are tumbled clean but not yet deprimed so you can do the sizing and primer pocket maintenance as desired.

jeff907...received the CZ mag! Thanks much!
Para45.. Been down a few downs but playing catch up. Bags going out today.

STILL HAVE CROWN ROYAL BAGS AS WELL AS THE 7X61SH/300HH DIES

@gprippers
Bob

My grandfather gifted me a mint 30-30 when i got was finished with active duty Army status and was actually home again. Rare caliber for sure. Both of my sons took nice Black Tails with it as i did and its been sitting in a sock in the safe for years. Might have to let grandson bop first buck with that to keep tradition alive!

Another little rifle that my grandfather turned me onto are the Savage 24's. He got home from overseas in WW2 and was deciding what to do and was painting houses to stay busy and make some money. An old gal he was painting for had a garden that the pigeons and doves were hammering pretty good, so she sent him to the local hardware store and had him pick out a rifle/shotgun to slay some of the pigeons etc. She paid for it and the ammo...she hated those doves and pigeons! LOL! He chose a brand new model 24 in 22lr/410 and proceeded to bop those pigeons...22 lr and then 410 when they took off! I have that rifle in the safe in a sock as well. I picked those up when i saw clean ones over the years or if they were rarer combos so i have some good ones. 20g/30-30, 22mag/20g, 357/20g and on and on.

Those two models...the 788 and the Savage 24 along with the 1911 are my favorites of all time. They were probably his as well...guess thats where i got it from. He was a big shotgunner so i grew up on the trap and skeet field as well as the duck blind. He liked to hunt big game but he was a serious shot gunner. I miss that ol guy and he truly was and is my super hero! He lived a full 95 years and I was lucky to be raised by him and my grandmother who live to be 96. Needless to say i was raised in the old school ways. Miss them both a bunch! Sorry to rattle on! LOL! 788/24/1911!

Grandkids are due back this afternoon so maybe ill dig those 24s out and take some pics???

Last edited:
PARA45...usps 9405 8301 0935 5014 8233 96 tracking info pm'd as well.

ALL shipping caught up and USPS says the other 3 packages arrived safely for:
TN Daves gaiters
Tucsonfx4's paracord/pen combo
Monsai52's limbsaver.
I am caught up and have the little leather belt sheath combo still as well as the dies and 222 rem rounds.

Thanks gents and let me know if anybody wants any of the above and ill be going thru more boxes of gear this week with the grandkids so ill post some more stuff im sure.

If anyone can use these rings, let me know. Believe 1" diameter. Came with rifle I got second hand. Never even tried to use them. Happy to send them your way.

20230803_200329.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Midwest, check was waiting for me to pick up.
Pleasure doing business with you.
BTW the 30-06 brass is in the mail; sent you a PM.

My grandfather gifted me a mint 30-30 when i got was finished with active duty Army status and was actually home again. Rare caliber for sure. Both of my sons took nice Black Tails with it as i did and its been sitting in a sock in the safe for years. Might have to let grandson bop first buck with that to keep tradition alive!

Another little rifle that my grandfather turned me onto are the Savage 24's. He got home from overseas in WW2 and was deciding what to do and was painting houses to stay busy and make some money. An old gal he was painting for had a garden that the pigeons and doves were hammering pretty good, so she sent him to the local hardware store and had him pick out a rifle/shotgun to slay some of the pigeons etc. She paid for it and the ammo...she hated those doves and pigeons! LOL! He chose a brand new model 24 in 22lr/410 and proceeded to bop those pigeons...22 lr and then 410 when they took off! I have that rifle in the safe in a sock as well. I picked those up when i saw clean ones over the years or if they were rarer combos so i have some good ones. 20g/30-30, 22mag/20g, 357/20g and on and on.

Those two models...the 788 and the Savage 24 along with the 1911 are my favorites of all time. They were probably his as well...guess thats where i got it from. He was a big shotgunner so i grew up on the trap and skeet field as well as the duck blind. He liked to hunt big game but he was a serious shot gunner. I miss that ol guy and he truly was and is my super hero! He lived a full 95 years and I was lucky to be raised by him and my grandmother who live to be 96. Needless to say i was raised in the old school ways. Miss them both a bunch! Sorry to rattle on! LOL! 788/24/1911!

Grandkids are due back this afternoon so maybe ill dig those 24s out and take some pics???
@gprippers
We bought my father a Savage 24D when he retired from the military after 30 years of service in 1976. It was a 22, 20 gauge 3 inch magnum.
When he died I inherited it. After a few years a mate really wanted it so I sold it to him on the proviso if he no longer wanted it I would buy it back off him. He forgot and just sold it.
Those 24s had the heaviest trigger I have ever come across.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sara29R474

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]